RocketPad Lark

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
So I just submitted my first review to EMRR, on the RocketPad Lark. While we wait for Nick to publish it, I thought I'd share a picture of this ungainly beast.

Just sitting there it looks about as unstable as our moderators on tequila, but it actually flies!

that thing is crazy lookin, i like it. what is it flying on?

Cool launch shot! I like my Lark also! it's different! I up loaded my review on EMRR of the Rocketpad Lacrosse kit & that should be up soon also. It too has some large fins above the smaller fins!
Your field looks nice!
Aron

Actually when I bought the Lark, I really wanted a Lacrosse. Rocketpad was not producucing them at the time. I'm thinking about buying one shortly and will wait for your review. I figure Nick will post them sometime around the midle of the month.

The Lark weathercocked a bit coming off the pad. I figure it was because of the huge amount of fin area. How did the Lacrosse behave?

A

HI Al!
The Lacrosse went up fine except for one flight when it arced to the left toward the end of it's flight. I think maybe the wind came up & pushed it. So I waited for a windy day (not that windy-wanted it back!) & shot it off. The large fins picked up the wind & it arced over again toward the end of the flight when I guess the motot was about out. I forgot to mention that one flight on the review. It was fine the rest of the time. Sure looks different like the Lark.

By the way, the Lark did weathercock on one flight. Prehaps the two engines were a little different in output? The engines were B6-4's Went up nice on the C6-5's!

Come to think of it, uneven thrust might have been the problem. I do recal; that at the end of the flight I could hear two distinct pops as the ejection charges went off. There was a light breeze so I attributed the arc to that. I was using a small motor as I really wanted the bird back to complete the review. Next flight will be on C6-5s.

HI!
Just a quick note, thanks for doing a review of our LARK kit! We test every new rocket design to make sure the rocket is stable. The weatercocking in is probbley that there was a little difference with the output of the 2 motors. The flight log of the test Lark & from our beta tester show it happened only 2 times in 10 total test flights & a note was made that it was may have been the motors in one flight & was the heavy wind in the second, so there should be no problem. We will take it out in a day or so & recheck it, but I don't see a problem. The feedback on this kit has been good.We have updated all our kits to make them even better & feed back is important to us! We will be checking the Forum to see if any one has a problem with any kit & try to help out.
Hobbyman
for Rocketpad Kits

Wow, You guys exist....!

Welcome to the Forum!

A way to contact Rocketpad has been a serious mystery!

Originally posted by Aron Sanford
HI Al!
The Lacrosse went up fine except for one flight when it arced to the left toward the end of it's flight. I think maybe the wind came up & pushed it. So I waited for a windy day (not that windy-wanted it back!) & shot it off. The large fins picked up the wind & it arced over again toward the end of the flight when I guess the motot was about out. I forgot to mention that one flight on the review. It was fine the rest of the time. Sure looks different like the Lark.

Just want to let you know that it is worth posting your post-review experiences in the EMRR flight logs. The flight logs can often provide as much useful information as the review itself as you (& others) accumulate more flights with a rocket. Not to mention that it's an easy way to track your own flight history! And don't forget you can post constructive opinions & tips for any particular kit too.

I'm willing to bet that your experience is that the rocket is weathercocking post-thrust as the large forward wings & (probable) nose weight are making the design susceptible to the slight change in direction as it coasts to apogee. Assuming the rest of the flight is near vertical, I'd say that you really don't have anything to worry about...

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Come to think of it, uneven thrust might have been the problem. I do recal; that at the end of the flight I could hear two distinct pops as the ejection charges went off. There was a light breeze so I attributed the arc to that. I was using a small motor as I really wanted the bird back to complete the review. Next flight will be on C6-5s.

Hearing 2 distinct ejection pops with BP clusters is to be expected. You will find that there is ~20% variance in ejection times. In fact, I'd be surprised if you only heard ONE pop. With multiple BP motor cluster rockets, it almost sounds like popcorn popping :D

HTH,

Hi guys/gals!
Thanks for the info lalligood. We got two launches in today befor the rains came! Both flights were normal so I believe every thing is ok with the kit. The first flight was with 2 B's & the second was with 2 C's.
again Thanks!
Hobbyman for
Rocketpad Kits

Hospital,

Thanks for archiving the RockSim file I made, I remember that simulation!

I can't find the RockSim file at EMRR did Nick upload it yet?

BTW: Most of the rocketry related family spells the last name LEVISON not Levinson like the movie stars. I hear there was a Levison working on project Corona but I don't really know if I'm related to him.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Bruce

Name all fixed.

I e-mailed the file to Nick before I realized there was a special place to submit on the Rocksim page. Added your name as credit in the comments box.

Thanks again for your help on this project.

Now, How about a tutorial on how to create motor files?;)

Hospital,

Thanks again, if you are serious about a tutorial on creating motor files:

The best motor file creation tutorial is the four part series on
Strap On Boosters or Parallel staging that appeared i the Apogee Newletter:

https://apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter108.pdf

https://apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter109.pdf

https://apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter110.pdf

https://apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter111.pdf

The last two articles have the most details about creating new motor files. I actually helped Tim write these articles so I should be able to answer any questions.

Mark

The RSIM file is loaded. I wanted to check it however the file is a .txt not .RKT file. I could swear I uploaded a v7 .03 file.

A

Hospital,

The RockSim file downloaded and opened fine for me. Try opening the file from the RockSim software. All the .rkt files are nothing more than text files with a .rkt file extension in the XML format that the RockSim program usues.

Back