Rocketpad Kits: Terastar kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not a lib

Reaction score
I had won a rocketpad kit on ebay, a Terastar & we just launched it today-Way cool! This is my second kit from them & was happy with the way it flys! (I also like that you have to be able to read & cut to assemble it!)The wind was up a bit but went up pretty good in the wind. I think those big fins up fron kept it stable in the wind. Anyone fly this rocket?

Hey, great. Let's see some pictures and perhaps submit a review to EMRR. It would be the first RocketPad review on EMRR.

Nick

I like it !!! Reminds me a bit of the Launch Pad Anubis that I just won on Ebay.

Originally posted by not a lib
I had won a rocketpad kit on ebay, a Terastar & we just launched it today-Way cool! This is my second kit from them & was happy with the way it flys! (I also like that you have to be able to read & cut to assemble it!)The wind was up a bit but went up pretty good in the wind. I think those big fins up fron kept it stable in the wind. Anyone fly this rocket?

Not that one, but others. I wasn't at all pleased with the stuff.

I have built a total of 5 Rocketpad kits & am very happy with them! You probably dont like there kits because they offer clones & clones bugs the &%^*&* out of you!
My friends also like their kits, they fly well & some of the kits look cool!

I see there is some interest in some of the products from Rocketpad Kits, I have built some of these kits & for the most part, the kits are great. Much better than the The Launch Pad kits. better & more detailed instructions & better quality Balsa is used. the Launch Pad kits had real bad balsa!
Its nice to see a company with similar type kits but done better.
My son has no problem with the kits! you do have to know how to read though!

Lets all go out & fly!!!!

Hi guys, I have built some Rocketpad kits & I think they are great. They are on the idea of The Launch pad kits but the instructions are much better & the balsa they use is great, not that trash Launch Pad uses! Since launch pad is closed, its nice to see someone with these types of kits!
A nice thing about their kits is that on many, you get decals!
Just my thoughts on the mater.
Aron

Those seem to be some awfully long wings there, considering how far forward they are. How's the stability?

I have to say it's a really cool looking rocket, in any case.

Hi guys, I have built some Rocketpad kits & I think they are great. They are on the idea of The Launch pad kits but the instructions are much better & the balsa they use is great, not that trash Launch Pad uses! Since launch pad is closed, its nice to see someone with these types of kits!
A nice thing about their kits is that on many, you get decals!
Just my thoughts on the mater.

I see there is some interest in some of the products from Rocketpad Kits, I have built some of these kits & for the most part, the kits are great. Much better than the The Launch Pad kits. better & more detailed instructions & better quality Balsa is used. the Launch Pad kits had real bad balsa!
Its nice to see a company with similar type kits but done better.
My son has no problem with the kits! you do have to know how to read though!

I haven't built any Rocket pad kits yet, but as far as the balsa in Launch Pad kit's, Ive found that if you follow the directions (LP) the balsa issue....well...isn't an issue. They use light weight balsa, probably non contest grade. But if you follow thier guidelines, (Using the thin CA treatment) it results in a pretty decent model.

I have built a total of 5 Rocketpad kits & am very happy with them! You probably dont like there kits because they offer clones & clones bugs the &%^*&* out of you!

Please refer to the old ASSUME Rule here.....:D

...don't assume anything unless he specifically says it. Other wise take it at face value. And above all (as my commander used to say) remain calm.:D :D

As I've said so many times, clones to not bug me. I try to warn people who make them that they could get in trouble if they don't get permission from the company that owns the patents/copyrights. Trying to keep people from getting in trouble is not at all anything like being bugged by them.

By precisely what information did you decide I don't like them? Email?

What I DON'T like about the kits I got were the instructions were written by someone who refused to respect the customer enough even to use a spell checker. That makes me wonder what other mistakes were made out of carelessness.

I know what one of those was: the scale kit I got was not scale at all, and was so poorly researched that they packaged (poorly made) Air Force decals with an Army rocket.

And instead of accepting what I specifically stated was criticism becuse I wanted them to be successful and do a better job and not get in trouble, they took it personally and gave me some weak excuses.

If I didn't like clones, I wouldn't be so proud of the Semroc Rock-A-Chute Mk II, Sky Hook and MMI Rawhide I got.

Well one of the Rocketpad kits I built was that tera star that not a lib built. It flys like its on a train track! It must be the added weight in the nose cone. I used a D motor this last July 4th & the gang got a kick out of it.
As far as the instructions, maybe dynasoar got an early kit or there was a production problem but my kits were fine & the decals were no problem. I also have the Lark & their Frede kit & my son loves that one!
All I know is that I have had no problems with the kits. I found out that the balsa they use is MIDWEST brand found in many hobby shops, well the ones around here any way. I for one plan on getting some more.
Aron

Originally posted by DynaSoar
What I DON'T like about the kits I got were the instructions

the scale kit I got was not scale at all, and was so poorly researched

specifically stated was criticism

I wish you'd get one of my AIM-47 kits and give an unbiased review for both the TRF collective and myself. I was hoping Sandman would have gotten around to it by now, but you guys keep him busy churning out LJ-2's!!!!

I know *my* kit instructions aren't as complete as I'd like, but it was spell-checked several times. I left out the launch prepping fluff, the safety code fluff, the "join XXX" fluff, a parts list, and a hang-tag.

I'm pretty sure its been well researched too. I hand-measured the real thing!!! Can't get better scale data than that.

Criticism I welcome, good or bad.
Keeping in mind that some decisions were based on economics and personal preferences. Mainly cost-cutting with plastic chute vs nylon. The rest of the kit is top notch material-wise.

No decals though. Doesn't really need them for striping.

I did include laserprints of three 8x10's as well as a 4x6 photo along with the awesome dimensioned scale data drawing and markings diagram.

Chris Timm
Vincent Hobbies

I had won a rocketpad kit on ebay,

Do they have a website store?
Or are they an "Ebay auction only" kit maker?

CTimm

They only sell on eBay, There is no contact info on any of the documentation, and the guy who sells them won't respond to e-mail. Weird

I have purchased 2 Rocket pad kits. Both were clones of Estes kits, the Sky-Hi and the Delta Star. I have finished the construction phase of both, but need to seal, sand , primer and paint. The only thing negative I have to say is that in the Sky Hi the body tube marking guide was left out, and in the Delta Star the tube coupler was left out. I improvised on the both and they came out fine. I even emailed the guy, Stan is his name, and he responded right away. While these are small issues, I would say I've had nothing but success from them. I have yet to try something other than a clone though, and I guess the real test will be the actuall flight.

I nuilt a LARK and found everything in good order. The only kit complaint was that the MMT (2 x 18mm) came completely assembled. I documented the build and will fly it this weekend. I wanted to submit it as an EMRR review, however I can't submit who Rocketpad is...

I even emailed the guy, Stan is his name, and he responded right away.

If you have this guy's e-mail address, would you PM it to me?

A

I have built a total of 5 Rocketpad kits & am very happy with them!

Great! Let's see some full reviews submitted to EMRR .

I'm just finishing my Shark (Futuristic) and like the looks and quality of parts. Instructions needs some work, but general observations are positive. Also have purchased (3) additional kits to check out.

Nick

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
I nuilt a LARK and found everything in good order. The only kit complaint was that the MMT (2 x 18mm) came completely assembled. I documented the build and will fly it this weekend. I wanted to submit it as an EMRR review, however I can't submit who Rocketpad is...

Don't worry about that. I e-mailed Stan and have the whole story. Stan is actually a dealer of RocketPad kits on eBay. The RocketPad owner (currently) is selling through local hobby stores and there is currently no website.

Fly and then submit away!

Nick

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. After I posted I realized that Stan just acts as the seller for them on ebay. I apologize if I misled anyone.

I, like Hospital, was a bit dissapointed to recieve a preassembled
motor mount (with excessive white glue) in my Lark kit. The attached kevlar shock cord (thread) seemed a bit thin as well. I'm a builder and would preffer to do the job myself.

I have yet to build this rocket and am looking forward to it. I will probably get a new motor mount from Flis. The other parts appear to be good.

The other kit from RocketPad is an ASRAAM . I was happy with the basswood fins. The tube seems kinda thin for a rocket this size, but I really have no benchmark by which to compare large model rockets. Its about ready to fly when finished painting.

Spell check is just a keystroke away.

Originally posted by CTimm
I wish you'd get one of my AIM-47 kits and give an unbiased review for both the TRF collective and myself. I was hoping Sandman would have gotten around to it by now, but you guys keep him busy churning out LJ-2's!!!!

I'd be glad to test-build a kit, whether in production or beta testing pre-production. I build about 3 per week. As for instructions and stuff, one of my jobs was as senior and technical editor for a computer magazine which was also published in the USSR (pre-Glasnost). The Russian editor wasn't a techie, so I had to make technical stuff very clear as well as make sure the language was squared away in order for him to translate it well. I still consider it my job, now as a scientist, to write what I have to say so that anyone can understand it. I'm real good with making sure instructions are clear.

Sadly, my allowance has been cut off in order to save up for moving. If it's strictly proper procudure to putchase the kit to be reviewed, I'm out of the loop for now. I don't know; I've never seen any "rules" about that. If it's not an issue and it won't cost me (for now) I'm ready any time.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
They only sell on eBay, There is no contact info on any of the documentation, and the guy who sells them won't respond to e-mail. Weird

The person selling them on eBay says they're the only one selling them, except for some hobby stores. I asked for company contact to pass along to the hobby stores around here and got nothing. The kits I got had no company information on them. I can find no hobby stores selling them. Nothing shows up in a Google search but eBay auctions, derivative auction reporting sites and EMRR. I don't find a RocketPad (or Rocket Pad) listed in any telephone directory in NY. I've never heard of a company going so much out of their way to stay unknown.

Dollars to donuts, Stan is RocketPad. Why he thinks he needs to hide that, I have no idea. If that's not ture, and there really is a company, that's such an odd way to behave that I really don't want to know why. I can buy kits plenty of other places.

Maybe 'They' want to stay under the radar 'cause some of their clones look like they're printed right from Jim Z's. Maybe they're trying to avoid copyright issues. Just a thought.

Well I had a question or two about the Rocketpad kits & asked & received a fast answer. Maybe your email got lost down the old electronics highway! It can happen you know. I some times have friends send emails that never come through my anti-spam program also.
Aron

Reading some of these posts(not all by any means) it seems like some of us take this all to close to the vest. I mean its only a hobby(that I like a lot!!!!!) . If there is a problem with an instruction, hay it happens. I just built an old OOP Estes maxi alpha & they had a big error in the instructions that I just caught!
What I am saying, it happens, no big deal!

Hi guys, I am building a Rocketpad kits model will post a quick review in the forum soon!
Aron

Back