Rocketman Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I placed this in the wrong category, I will ask a mod to move it.

Dave

I've used them before and his heat shields as well. All well built and have given good service. I really like the sliding adjuster on the shroud lines. My chutes are the older R series ones.

Al

Most of the parachutes I use are old RocketMan R-series parachutes.

BTW, for the record, R-14s, don't like it when they're deployed while the motor is still burning.... :bangpan:

-Kevin

Outside of one 6' Sky Angle it is all I use. They also have great service.

They are OK for larger tubes. 4in and below they are a bear to fit. The nylon they use is very slippery and won't hold the fold. I had a R-12 with the long tubular risers and slippery material could not get it in my Comp 4. Sold it at a loss just to rid myself of the beast.
I use Topflite up to 96in and Skyangle for the big stuff.

Dave,

I have an 8' rocketman chute. I can show it to you at the next launch. It has worked great for me and I had Ky make me a kevlar Y bridle as well. I use it quite a bit along with the cert 3 xl chute I got from Jack. Are you going to have your Magnum done for the next launch? See you in 3 weeks.

Patrick

Dave,

I have an 8' rocketman chute. I can show it to you at the next launch. It has worked great for me and I had Ky make me a kevlar Y bridle as well. I use it quite a bit along with the cert 3 xl chute I got from Jack. Are you going to have your Magnum done for the next launch? See you in 3 weeks.

Patrick

Patrick,

I got a bid going on ebay for a 6ft rocketman chute. Do you think that is enough for the magnum. And unfortunately my leave got canceled so I have to work during the next launch.

Thanks for all the input.
Dave

Dave,

The 6' rocketman chute lists a decent rate of 17.67 ft/sec for a 8lb rocket. I think your magnum will probably weigh more than that. Do you have any idea on the weight yet?
Once you know the finished weight, then you can decide on what size chute.

Patrick

I took my bid off of that chute. Turns out it wasnt rocketman it was rocketwoman. I should read more before I bid. Any who, I called rocketman and he gave me a great deal on a 8' chute with heavy duty shroud lines. You guys were right about the service.

Dave

They are OK for larger tubes. 4in and below they are a bear to fit. The nylon they use is very slippery and won't hold the fold. I had a R-12 with the long tubular risers and slippery material could not get it in my Comp 4. Sold it at a loss just to rid myself of the beast.

That's zero-porosity nylon; not all of the Rocketman chutes are made of it, but some are.

It's lighter weight and will pack tighter, but it's also more slippery than snot, which makes it a bit tougher to pack.

That said, it's all a matter of technique. Once you get the technique down, it's amazing how compactly they'll fold.

-Kevin

I have a supposed rc-18 it deploys every time. what more could you ask for.

while we are on the subject.. I said "Supposedly" because I bought it used.
I don't think it says on it what it is.. anyone know how to measure a rocketman chute to find out what size it truly is?

I took my bid off of that chute. Turns out it wasnt rocketman it was rocketwoman. I should read more before I bid. Any who, I called rocketman and he gave me a great deal on a 8' chute with heavy duty shroud lines. You guys were right about the service.

Dave

I believe the rocketwoman on ebay is from the same company.

Size wise, I bought a 7ft Rocketman for my 167 ounce heavy Thor (yeah, it's heavy). I have not flown it yet, but the subjective eval is that this is an impressive chute, very well made. It fit inside the 4" BT just fine, without much coaxing (and ground tested great).

I talked to rocketman about the person selling the stuff on ebay. It is not my place to say who it is and the situation surrounding it.

Viprfixr, I work on Block 32's out of Fresno. You?

Dave

I have a supposed rc-18 it deploys every time. what more could you ask for.

while we are on the subject.. I said "Supposedly" because I bought it used.
I don't think it says on it what it is.. anyone know how to measure a rocketman chute to find out what size it truly is?

There's usually a tag sewn on the canopy near one of the risers that will have the size written on it.

Barring that, if I remember right, if you measure the distance from where a rise meets the canopy, up over the top of the canopy to where the rise meets it on the other side, that measurement divided by 10 is the approximate size. Thus, an R-18 would be approximately 180 inches.

-Kevin

Viprfixr, I work on Block 32's out of Fresno. You? Dave

Being at Nellis, we've got about everything in the CAF...and some Bk32 Vipers too. I've had two Bk50 assignments prior--love the F-16.

Back when I had my magnum, I used an R9 which is about a 9ft chute. According to Rockman's decent rate chart (https://www.the-rocketman.com/decent-rate.html ) that chute is only good for about a 10lb rocket.

JD

Patrick,

I got a bid going on ebay for a 6ft rocketman chute. Do you think that is enough for the magnum. And unfortunately my leave got canceled so I have to work during the next launch.

Thanks for all the input.
Dave

Back