RockeTiltometer 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Flew the RTOM3 today. Data to follow (in a few days).

Jim
Looking forward to seeing some data... I got one the day it came out, can't wait to launch it.

Reactions: BDB

JimJarvis50

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing some data... I got one the day it came out, can't wait to launch it.
So, here's a flight video and a graph of the data from the flight. It was a two-stage flight, L1000 to K160. Went to 18,300 feet, with the sustainer burn not visible due to a cloud (naturally). It looks like ignition was inhibited from about 0.7 to 1.2 seconds into the flight due to excess motion. You can see that motion in the video. The calculated values for tilt rate in the graph also suggest that there was excess motion occurring. I would say that the RTOM3 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Jim

Flight Data Graph.png

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea why there was so much tilt starting at t+26? Was that right before apogee?

RockeTiltometer

Rocket-Electronics.com - Home to RockeTiltometer 3
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Jim - thanks for sharing...looks like a good ride and the RTOM3 worked well! Nice presentation. Regards, Frank

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
@cerving - I'd love to hear how this works with a Quantum. It looks like an excellent combination.

RockeTiltometer

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
1637779851427.png

Rocket Electronics is pleased to announce our first ever Black Friday Special Sale!

1637779851457.png

20% off on the RTOM3 or the RTOM3 with the datalogger option...one per customer only, and this does not apply to the solo datalogger item.

Sale runs from Friday, 11-26-21, through Sunday, 11-28-21...just apply the BLACKFRIDAY20 coupon code at checkout...

You may see longer than usual turnaround on your order shipment date!

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

WoShuGui

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the sale. Order in for a second unit!
Got to fly the first ROTM3 a couple weeks back in a two stage Punisher at ROCStock. Getting a stack with a Punisher sustainer to fly vertical has been challenging, and this flight was no exception. The sustainer start using a Raven4 was inhibited by >20 degree tilt starting at launch detect by the ROTM3. The flight was in Mode 4 - Reentry; not the Mode 3 jumper setting in the picture below. The booster had enlarged fins and was flown on an K1100T providing 18 Gs. Static stability margin was 2; but weather cocking so close to the ground seems unlikely in the calm conditions that day. The launch angle 5 degrees down range did not help, but I do not believe a vertical rail would have made a difference because the tilt was over 25 degrees when the sustainer would have been started at ~4.2s ROTM3 time. Yeah, it's a head scratcher and frustrating. That all said, the ROTM3 was easy to retrofit into the AV bay, simple to arm on the pad (I used connect and tuck) and performed flawlessly. A nice little plus was that the Volts Pyro 3rd on the Raven4 (Ch3 was used for sustainer start) shows when the ROTM3 is disconnecting the sustainer initiator.
20211114_085141.jpg
Resized_20211108_105425001.jpeg

1637955042107.png

C&P K1100T_J180T 14-Nov-2021.jpg

Attachments

RockeTiltometer

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
That all said, the ROTM3 was easy to retrofit into the AV bay, simple to arm on the pad (I used connect and tuck) and performed flawlessly.
Hi Dave...

Sorry about the flight but glad you had an RTOM3 on board! That's quite the off-rail kick.

Thanks for the new order - should be in the mail Monday...best regards, Frank

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up another one... I got plans. :)