RockeTiltometer 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to seeing some data... I got one the day it came out, can't wait to launch it.
So, here's a flight video and a graph of the data from the flight. It was a two-stage flight, L1000 to K160. Went to 18,300 feet, with the sustainer burn not visible due to a cloud (naturally). It looks like ignition was inhibited from about 0.7 to 1.2 seconds into the flight due to excess motion. You can see that motion in the video. The calculated values for tilt rate in the graph also suggest that there was excess motion occurring. I would say that the RTOM3 did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Jim

Flight Data Graph.png

@cerving - I'd love to hear how this works with a Quantum. It looks like an excellent combination.

1637779851427.png

Rocket Electronics is pleased to announce our first ever Black Friday Special Sale!

1637779851457.png

20% off on the RTOM3 or the RTOM3 with the datalogger option...one per customer only, and this does not apply to the solo datalogger item.

Sale runs from Friday, 11-26-21, through Sunday, 11-28-21...just apply the BLACKFRIDAY20 coupon code at checkout...

You may see longer than usual turnaround on your order shipment date!

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Thank you for the sale. Order in for a second unit!
Got to fly the first ROTM3 a couple weeks back in a two stage Punisher at ROCStock. Getting a stack with a Punisher sustainer to fly vertical has been challenging, and this flight was no exception. The sustainer start using a Raven4 was inhibited by >20 degree tilt starting at launch detect by the ROTM3. The flight was in Mode 4 - Reentry; not the Mode 3 jumper setting in the picture below. The booster had enlarged fins and was flown on an K1100T providing 18 Gs. Static stability margin was 2; but weather cocking so close to the ground seems unlikely in the calm conditions that day. The launch angle 5 degrees down range did not help, but I do not believe a vertical rail would have made a difference because the tilt was over 25 degrees when the sustainer would have been started at ~4.2s ROTM3 time. Yeah, it's a head scratcher and frustrating. That all said, the ROTM3 was easy to retrofit into the AV bay, simple to arm on the pad (I used connect and tuck) and performed flawlessly. A nice little plus was that the Volts Pyro 3rd on the Raven4 (Ch3 was used for sustainer start) shows when the ROTM3 is disconnecting the sustainer initiator.
20211114_085141.jpgResized_20211108_105425001.jpeg
1637955042107.png

C&P K1100T_J180T 14-Nov-2021.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20211108_105439.jpeg
    Resized_20211108_105439.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20211108_105425001.jpeg
    Resized_20211108_105425001.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
That all said, the ROTM3 was easy to retrofit into the AV bay, simple to arm on the pad (I used connect and tuck) and performed flawlessly.
Hi Dave...

Sorry about the flight but glad you had an RTOM3 on board! That's quite the off-rail kick.

Thanks for the new order - should be in the mail Monday...best regards, Frank

1637779851427.png

Rocket Electronics is pleased to announce our first ever Spring Easter Special Sale!

1637779851457.png

$54.50 for the RTOM3 and $19.50 for the Logger option if ordered with the RTOM3...

I have my Tiltometer loaded up for a flight at the next Airfest. It's nice to have the tilt capability in that rocket.

Jim

Just put in an order for an ROTM3. Looking forward to pairing it up with a Proton for airstarts on a 4 x 75mm cluster.

Just put in an order for an ROTM3. Looking forward to pairing it up with a Proton for airstarts on a 4 x 75mm cluster.
If you're going to use more than one output on the Proton to light those motors (i.e. using the Cluster option), send me an email. ([email protected]). You'll want to do a little trick with the wiring from the RTOM3 so that it only affects those outputs (assuming that you're using the other outputs for deployments).

If you're going to use more than one output on the Proton to light those motors (i.e. using the Cluster option), send me an email. ([email protected]). You'll want to do a little trick with the wiring from the RTOM3 so that it only affects those outputs (assuming that you're using the other outputs for deployments).

Thanks Cris - sent you an email. Look forward to your insights on wiring this up properly, thanks!

Just put an order in Frank, looking forward to getting my unit! I attempted a shakedown flight over the weekend with my 'sport' two stage with an EasyTimer configured for 20deg tilt inhibit and to light 5 seconds after launch. The sustainer was a dummy motor and effectively nothing but an e-match connected to a HEI Forward Closure.

The ignitor didn't light. I'm not sure what happened or where the fault occurred. The only thing I'm certain about is that I have no data from the EasyTimer to assist me in troubleshooting the ignitor failure.

Really looking forward to getting your unit so I can attempt to learn from my mistakes based off actual data when compared to the divining rod process I'm currently using.

1637779851427.png

Rocket Electronics is pleased to announce our first ever Spring Easter Special Sale!

1637779851457.png

$54.50 for the RTOM3 and $19.50 for the Logger option if ordered with the RTOM3...

NOTE: THE SALE HAS BEEN EXTENDED INTO THE SUMMER!!

Last edited:
Just put an order in Frank, looking forward to getting my unit! I attempted a shakedown flight over the weekend with my 'sport' two stage with an EasyTimer configured for 20deg tilt inhibit and to light 5 seconds after launch. The sustainer was a dummy motor and effectively nothing but an e-match connected to a HEI Forward Closure.
The ignitor didn't light. I'm not sure what happened or where the fault occurred. The only thing I'm certain about is that I have no data from the EasyTimer to assist me in troubleshooting the ignitor failure.

Really looking forward to getting your unit so I can attempt to learn from my mistakes based off actual data when compared to the divining rod process I'm currently using.
Hi Andrew - yeah, the logger can be very helpful in a lot of aspects of this crazy hobby that is so full of twists and turns! Keep in mind that the RTOM3, unlike the EasyTimer, does not generate an ignition output, just interrupts one (elegantly :cool:!)...best regards, and thanks for the order (should go out today), Frank

Hi Andrew - yeah, the logger can be very helpful in a lot of aspects of this crazy hobby that is so full of twists and turns! Keep in mind that the RTOM3, unlike the EasyTimer, does not generate an ignition output, just interrupts one (elegantly :cool:!)...best regards, and thanks for the order (should go out today), Frank
Cheers Frank. I've got a few Ravens so I expect I'll be good. And I noticed you've already dispatched the unit. Thank you!

@RockeTiltometer

Web store says discontinued…I was recommending the tiltometer to someone and then we found the store to say that…

Hope it’s only temporary, such a great product. Anything you can share with TRF?

Unfortunate to hear frank. Hoping that you can release another product soon once parts are available. Your tiltometer is awesome.

Well that sucks, EOL strikes again. It sucks when they discontinue a part with almost no notice, and you don't even get a "not recommended for new design" warning first. I got a part like that too... and the product that it's in is going fast. Yet another redesign in process... but with software changes and flight testing that's a six month process.

Sometimes when you DO get advance notice, the best remedy is to try to buy a bunch and cover yourself for awhile. I just bought a whole reel of a specific rectifier because ST discontinued just about everything in the IPAK package, which I like because it takes up a lot less board space than the DPAK equivalent. They'll probably me last 3 years...

In one instance, the MCU, normally a sub-$10 part was/is still going for a minimum of >$200, if you can actually find...not EOL in that case, but supply-chain issue...in the case of the gyros - EOL...new one requires total config redo and with current level of sales, not worth the investment to do RTOM4...sorry all around...

In one instance, the MCU, normally a sub-$10 part was/is still going for a minimum of >$200, if you can actually find...not EOL in that case, but supply-chain issue...in the case of the gyros - EOL...new one requires total config redo and with current level of sales, not worth the investment to do RTOM4...sorry all around...

Ugh, my timing is awful. I bought one from you a few months ago to learn how to use and was just ready to order a bunch of them to retrofit a few rockets and be ready for 5 or 6 projects I had coming up. C'est la vie.

Would it be possible to open source the firmware for people who want to tinker in other platforms?

Back