Rockethead Rockets - Battle Axe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

womblegs

Reaction score
I've just received my Battle Axe.
First I'd like to comment on the service, I ordered on Thursday and received it on Tuesday. That's from the States to the UK, very happy!

The kit arrived in a clear plastic bag so you can see all the bits inside.
The picture shows all the parts. Each *part* is induvidually bagged. The fins, engine mount and recovery device all are seperate. This is a nice touch, when you are ready for that stage of construction you just open the bag - no searching through everything for what you need.
Also included are water slide decals.
The instructions are very clear and each step is shown with a colour photo.

First impressions are very good. I'll update with my progress.

Gareth

cussler08

Reaction score
Just in time for the huge battles in Lord of the Rings :)

EMRR

Reaction score
Originally posted by womblegs
First impressions are very good. I'll update with my progress.

Gareth
Great. And don't forget to prepare a full review for EMRR (take pictures of the build progress).

Thanks,
Nick

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
I pre-ordered this kit and built it right away, but I just now got around to flying it.

Firstly, this is a top notch kit. The instructions were clear and left no questions about assembly. All the parts fit well. No sanding was necessary to fit the centering rings or nose cone. The edges of the fins needed only minor sanding to smooth out the very slightly rough cut caused by the step motors of the laser cutter. About 2 minutes of sanding per fin was all that was needed. I found no "gotchas" in this kit.

I only flew it once today because of high wind. Also because of the wind I decided to put it up on an A6-4. Beautiful flight with a nice straight boost. Only very minimal weathercocking.

The only problem I had was that one fin snapped off at the glue joint on impact. Should we blame the builder or the glue? I say let's blame the glue. Easily repaired and not noticable with a little touch up paint.

Tom, I don't believe the A6-4 is on the recommended engine list, maybe you should think about it. It worked great for me.

There were several positive comments at the launch about the parachute, all well deserved.

If you don't already have this kit, take some of that money you get for Xmas and send it to Rockethead. You won't be disappointed.

womblegs

Reaction score
I've finished biulding my Battle Axe - see attached pic.

So as I'm not repeating what has already been said I'll skip forward to my only complaint. I found getting the fins aligned at the same height was a little challenging. This is no bad thing, it makes a simple 4FNC rocket a little different - but it's now bugging the hell out of me 'cos one fin is about a mm higher than the others.

In summary the kit went together great otherwise. The quality is fantastic. More importantly for a new company the customer service is superb.