Rocketguts.com's FIRST kit!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by rocketsonly
Nope, I've read enough about crapper heads, we used some homemade igniters with a pyrogen kit. Both of the ignitors ignited, however only one of the motors lit. We're not sure if it was the motor due to a cracked propellant (I accidently dropped one of them earlier) or the ignitor which wasn't all the way up in the core (we have to make smaller ignitors, ours were too large and was very difficult to fit).

We're very confident these fins will hold, you have to see them to understand what I'm talking about! They're really strong!

What kind of G's were they? White Lightning, Blue thunder, Black Jack?

Edit: Whoops, never mind, just saw that post. I dont see why white lightnings would not light in a cluster. I have never had a problem clustering them.

Originally posted by Tarc3
What kind of G's were they? White Lightning, Blue thunder, Black Jack?

We attempted to ignite 2x Aerotech G40 white lighting motors.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
I don't think so. If I understand correctly, the total mass of propellant can't be greater than 125 grams. A G40 has 55.1 grams of propellant. Two of them will only make 110.2 grams. Is this correct? I also remember a DARS member telling me 2 G's were okay with out L1.

I'm pretty sure it's total impulse that counts... However, I could be wrong, so if someone who knows would say, it would be helpful. Plus there's always the chance these are low end G's.

It is both. If it is over 125 grams, then you must file for a waiver, therefore it is considered high power. Also, from what I can tell, if the total impulse is under 160, then it is not considered high power.
Note: Most of this is inferred from looking over the NAR site.

The weight of AP is correct... but without L1 you can actually cluster into the H motor range (but cant actually use any H motors). Filling in the space between the flames would make them very solid, and also easier to do stability tests on. But if you are going to fill them in, why not just start with a clear (plexiglas or similar) fin. Then you could use tape to add the flame design to that. Anyway's, good luck with the flight, it looks pretty cool.

Originally posted by jraice
The weight of AP is correct... but without L1 you can actually cluster into the H motor range (but cant actually use any H motors). Filling in the space between the flames would make them very solid, and also easier to do stability tests on. But if you are going to fill them in, why not just start with a clear (plexiglas or similar) fin. Then you could use tape to add the flame design to that. Anyway's, good luck with the flight, it looks pretty cool.

You do realize you've just replied to a thead that has been dead for almost 15 months?

Hmm, I was doing a search for something and came accross this thread... didnt realize it was so old. How is the kit coming along? Has it flown succesfully?

This was supposed to be a kit that Rocketguts was going to manufacture. They were a TARC team that dissolved over a year ago. It never existed beyond the prototype stage.

Whoa, this is an old thread.

Dissolved? Haha, not quite :) We made it to nationals this year, w00t w00t!

Originally posted by xenon
You do realize you've just replied to a thead that has been dead for almost 15 months?

Now That's funny! even more so because I could see myself doing the same thing.:D

No. if you exceed ANY of the limits of a Model Rocket, it becomes a High Power Rocket.

Bookmark.

Print.

Read.

https://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/HPR_metric8.pdf

Originally posted by xenon
Correct, but it is more about total impulse, not propelant weight(I think). You can cluster up to 320ns without L1 as long as none of the motors are greater than G. With a L1 you can cluster up to 1280ns as long as they are I class motors and below, same goes for L2.

It looks very cool. If the fins stay on and I could cough up $80, I'd get one

hey- yes this is dang old , and u still around even thou it seemed you all went belly up. So, the real ? is did you ever fly that flammed fin thing and how many fins did break? in flight and then on landing? Did you figure out why it was stuck on the rail

Originally posted by Brian62
hey- yes this is dang old , and u still around even thou it seemed you all went belly up. So, the real ? is did you ever fly that flammed fin thing and how many fins did break? in flight and then on landing? Did you figure out why it was stuck on the rail

Yeah, if I remember correctly, we flew it 3-4 times. The fins never broke (we used high quality 5 ply birch plywood), but there was one landing where a tiny crack in one of the miniature flames formed.

It got stuck on the rail that one time because the launch lugs weren't aligned correctly, or because the rod/launch lugs made a very tight fit (I do remember after we lubed the rod with graphite shavings the rocket flew of easily).

Back