Rocketgeek101's Estes Nike Smoke build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I masked and painted 3 of the fins red. Tomorrow if the weather cooperates, I'll paint the remaining fin yellow.

I did an OK job at masking... Not my best, but definitely not my worst either. The paint also cracked in a few places, but I'm not going to worry about that as it's not really noticeable.

I'm thinking of painting the tip of the nose silver to mimic the air intake on the real Nike, what do you guys think?

SDC16115.jpg

SDC16117.jpg

SDC16118.jpg

SDC16123.jpg

Looks good from here. What kind of masking tape did you use?

Annnnd.....DONE!!!!!:D

Painted the remaining fin yellow. Had a little paint run on one side, but thankfully it's not the side that will be visible from the pad. Overall I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Despite the imperfections, this is probably my best build to date.

Now I just have to finalize the recovery system, and do some simulations in OpenRocket.

SDC16131.jpg

SDC16136.jpg

SDC16137.jpg

SDC16138.jpg

SDC16139.jpg

Yessir ,damn fine job !

I just finished and flew my Madcow FG 2.6 " version, very nice flier.

That Estes kit looks to be a real winner ,love the fins !

This kit is in my future :wink:

I`ll bet you can hardly wait to fly it !!

Take care

Paul T

Yessir ,damn fine job !

I just finished and flew my Madcow FG 2.6 " version, very nice flier.

That Estes kit looks to be a real winner ,love the fins !

This kit is in my future :wink:

I`ll bet you can hardly wait to fly it !!

Take care

Paul T

Thank-you Paul! It was a really enjoyable build... and like you said I just can't wait to fly it! I have a CTI G68 that I'm thinking of using for the maiden flight.

I just got mine in the mail today! It will probably leap-frog to the front of the build pile. :)

I'm probably going to lightly glass this tube (one wrap of 3/4oz. cloth) for a bit more strength and to get rid of the spirals! A lot less sanding than CWF when peelply is used!

BTW.. for anybody wanting a good deal on this kit, I got mine from https://www.acsupplyco.com. 40% off = 47.99
At $100 free shipping.. All Estes at least 40% off all the time. Ordered a few other goodies including Estes new little Altimeter (@$23.99) too!

Jerome :)

The Nike is set to fly next weekend on a G106 Skidmark:dark:! Sims to 1957 ft.

Ohhhhhh...I love 106 Skids....just got a bunch delivered to the door (thanks Angelo !!)

My G-Force used to love those loads (yah, it died ) but my buddy still flies his on 106s,great motor for our smaller field.

I`m doing a few scratch builds to fly on the reload ,as we speak.

Have fun !

Paul T

Latest posts

Back