Rocketflite F50SS-0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
I finally found time to go through the last box of motors I obtained from a friend about a year ago. I knew there were a few RocketFlite Silver Streak motors in there but was surprised to see that many are labeled F50SS-0. Is this motor designation similar to Estes motors where this is the booster motor for a 2 stage rocket? Or is it a plugged motor that will not light a sustainer motor?

Thanks, Scott

I'm guessing it is a booster. From FSI, Estes, Centuri all follow that same pattern. Plugged motors from Estes were D11-P.

Never used any for the F50s or G100s other than those with a delay / ejection. Can't remember if Rocketflite used a clay plug or a paper cap glued in to hold the ejection charge.

If you look at the forward end and it looks like pressed black powder it is a booster. Clay is a plug or a plug to hold in the ejection charge (like Estes). Pretty much info to make an educated guess if someone isn't sure from experience.

They are designed for booster use. However, there is still some delay - not truly a 0 - probably more like a -2. For staging, run a piece of quickmatch from the top of the booster up into the core of the sustainer. Here's a video of a 5 stage rack rocket using G160;s.[YOUTUBE]sIEKCBRKyZ4[/YOUTUBE]

They are designed for booster use. However, there is still some delay - not truly a 0 - probably more like a -2. For staging, run a piece of quickmatch from the top of the booster up into the core of the sustainer. Here's a video of a 5 stage rack rocket using G160;s.[YOUTUBE]sIEKCBRKyZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Too cool!

Very cool flight.

Thanks for the info everyone. Now to build a 2 stage rocket. I've got a couple G100SS to stage too.

Last edited:
Back