rocketcontest.org

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadam

Reaction score
hi everyone!

Is anyone here participating in that contest?
also, does anyone know anything about NJ state regulations on Model Rockets, like where and when you can fly them?

At this point, it looks like my local high school (Merrimack, NH) will be participating. I will be their mentor

Originally posted by jadam
does anyone know anything about NJ state regulations on Model Rockets, like where and when you can fly them?
I don't know anything specifically but, you can probably find all the answers you need here.

cool, thanks for the link.

heh, so you have to be your schools mentor, the mentors can't provide the students with much assistance, so you just sit back and relax :-D
My school probally has no clue about this contest, we got 3 people, now were just going around asking teachers at my school if they would like to help us, well we havent yet but were going to. How hard do you guys think this contest is?

well, in my case, having taught rocketry in our school district (K-12) for many years, they kinda turn all things rocketry over to me anyway... *S*

You are correct though, about my only involvement will be to make sure they get all the paperwork in on time, keep them on track and make sure they are clear on the goal and the safety code. Other than that, just sit and watch.

As for how hard it is? Depends... If you had just ONE shot at hitting 1500 feet, it would be very hard (just as it would be very hard to land on the moon with only ONE shot - instead, we started heading for the moon with the Gemini program and concluded with Apollo 11)

Testing will be as important as design and will help a school hit the 2-3% mark in actual competition. It is going to be an interesting event though. Comparatively, it is EASY to make a rocket to go the HIGHEST or stay up the LONGEST, but hitting a specific altitude with a specific payload, that ain't so easy *S*

yeah, hey quick question, well two actually, first of all, can you protect the eggs in like foam or something? secondly.

My cousin works at a company that has a bunch of milling machines for plastic molding. Now what im wondering is if i can design pieces of the rocket using CAD software, go to his job, and make the molds myself over there? would that be allowed for the competition?

Any protection allowed by the model rocket safety code would be allowed (meaning, yes you can protect it)

As for milling machines, if YOU are one of the students on the team and YOU designed the part, then sure. If, however, you are an adult mentor or teacher or just a bystander, then no, you can not (at least, as I read the rules)

Understand, I am not the Team America spokesperson. For official rulings, you will need to contact the home office. You can get all the information from the NAR web site at https://www.nar.org/

jim

Back