Rocketarium Black Brant IVb Mod1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

This was my first rocket not from Estes and I really enjoyed the build! This is the maiden flight. All went well except for the failure and ejection of the motor mount.

Looks like partially my fault and maybe partly the tube itself failing. Upper ring didn't look like it had enough glue but the bottom one did for sure. The motor tube blew out right at the ejection end of the motor.

Will rebuild! No other damage and I really like this rocket!

Attachments

• 20181104_142013.jpg
    20181104_142013.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 20181104_172724.jpg
    20181104_172724.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
So it is now fixed. Picked up a pack of D/E Estes engine mounts, cut away the old tube out of the ply centering rings and reassembled the mount.

I think what may have happened is that I actually put the glue too far in, therefore missing the upper ring with the majority of the glue.

Anyhow, I reinstalled the mount in the airframe with 5-minute BSI epoxy and made sure to be generous with it. I even fillited the bottom ring.

Can't wait to re-launch on an E12. It flew so nice.

Attachments

• 20181105_194955.jpg
    20181105_194955.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 95
Planning on installing an Estes screw on retainer on this one. I keep popping engines out the back on ejection. The hook just isn't holding them in. The upper section comes out easily enough, so I don't think I'm getting too much pressure at that point, but the baffle might be doing it. The screw on retainer will do the trick.

I just test flew (unfinished paint) the VA-B version today. I put a wrap of masking tape around the motor hook so it could not shift away from the motor. This was also my first non Estes kit since returning to the hobby in June. I flew on Estes D12-5 and it flew great. Now I need to touch up and decal. Iam going to attempt to post pics the first time here.
AF1QipPTvr5MuZGycyeMxo2hzC_JxpuaPpURGKxmYZLk
AF1QipOu_Kg684f1y8w3ipqo4rBFrRttVx5C7-w40_gs
AF1QipO4r-Gx5sgFlCLLOjwQ5uUs166ZvJboHajCwlW9

I just test flew (unfinished paint) the VA-B version today. I put a wrap of masking tape around the motor hook so it could not shift away from the motor. This was also my first non Estes kit since returning to the hobby in June. I flew on Estes D12-5 and it flew great. Now I need to touch up and decal. Iam going to attempt to post pics the first time here.
AF1QipPTvr5MuZGycyeMxo2hzC_JxpuaPpURGKxmYZLk
AF1QipOu_Kg684f1y8w3ipqo4rBFrRttVx5C7-w40_gs
AF1QipO4r-Gx5sgFlCLLOjwQ5uUs166ZvJboHajCwlW9

I think I have the VA-B in my build pile.

At this point I have two choices do this activity with her, Or take away the air protectors and she will stay home. She stays by my side and told the rocket is in the air

She is not a big fan of loud noises. The first time she launched I did not tell her there would be noise. I am just glad she still gets excited to go do stuff with me.

We carry the air protectors in the back of the car wherever we go just in case. I took her to a monster truck show last summer the day after my wife decided to clean out the car. We saw one monster truck and then an angry dad went home.

Must be mighty "tame" at your house on the 4th of July . . . LOL !
When my daughter was 4 or 5 (and highly precocious regarding language) she liked fireworks for the sights but had trouble dealing with the noise. She asked one day if there's a way to get over the noise aversion. I was ready to say "No" when what came out of my mouth was "Systematic desensitization".

Back