Rocket work shop table ideas??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newly built work bench/storage. also got my moveable base for my ancient grandfathers craftsman table saw. plans are to build 1 more like i just built.
I just bought some cast iron extensions for my old craftsman so it will be easier to cut plywood sheets. Plus just built an extended table to catch the cut pieces when doing long cuts. Plan on building a 3' X 8' bench with drawers for building my rockets on. Just getting back into it after years away.

I use two EAA Chapter 1000 tables (search for plans online), 2x5 each with adjustable feet installed, placed end to end to be 2x10.

Now that is some work space for

That is a lot of building space and storage underneath it. You have alot of room for glue ups while leaving some other parts to dry.

It is so nice for doing composite vacuum bagging. Room to lay out everything, which makes the process so much easier. I even have a retractable extension cord that drops from the ceiling at one end of the bench for the pump, heat-gun, whatever.

These days about half of it is the corporate head quarters/prototyping lab/design studio/packaging facility for Lab Rat Rocketry.

I just skimmed, but I didn't see two things I really expected to. First is people answering you question, which was what folks would suggest as features for your 6' by 6' rolling bench.

And the other is the single most important important feature that a rolling work bench absolutely must have, in my opinion of course: rock solid locking wheels. Or those posts that go down and jack the bench off the wheels entirely. It's all well and good to be able to roll it to where you want to work, but once it's set you don't want it moving a millimeter or turning a degree without your permission.

The other thing I would suggest, and it goes along with the above, is some sort of leveling mechanism. I know precise leveling is rarely needed for rocket work, but one day you'll be glad you included it.

Just finished the main build of my first workbench.
It's pretty standard in it's design, based on many similar concepts I could see out there on the interweb thingy. However, as I was also struggling to store my two rolls of F/Glass and a roll of rip-stop nylon, I thought I'd modify the design to sling three spare 78mm tubes I got from a local recycling centre under the top frame so I could store the rolls horizontally, out of the way, and in more of a dust free environment at the same time.

Also added a big pull-out drawer for spare parts, with a 3mm ply dust shield over the top.

As an aside, these tubes are a near perfect fit for a 3inch PML Intellicone. They seem to be from spent rolls of glass tinting film and make pretty damn good body tubes for only A$4.80 for a 1800mm length! The big grey AGM33 Pike on the LHS of the second picture is mage from this very tube!

Workbench pic3.jpg

Workbench pic2.jpg

Back