Rocket with a Cake Attached

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.i.a

Reaction score
Hello all, so I know this is probably the most super random request any of you have ever received. But I'm going to go for it anyways- I am participating in a worldwide scavenger hunt called GISH where participants join together in teams to scavenge for "items". These tasks are often weird and creative art, random acts of kindness, or absolutely crazy feats. This year, one of the items is to attach a wedding cake to a rocket, and get it up at least 6 feet in the air! I have messed with small model rockets before, but don't know too much about the subject and am looking for some sort of guidance on how I could do this. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap starter kit rockets, that could still put out enough power to lift a smallish cake? Is that even possible? Thanks so much for tolerating the weird request!
Cheers,
Mia

Per the other thread, it must be a real cake.

I don't have the patience to dig through the clever-clever and poorly implemented GISHWES website -- but the fact that there is not a list of "items" easily located on the site makes me think that it was emailed out to the participants (either that, or it is something that only pops up when you look at the site from your phone).

This website purports to have the 2018 Item list.

https://www.fangirlquest.com/gishwhes/gish-item-list-2018/

The assignment is -- apparently -- NOT to launch a cake on a rocket or in a rocket. It is to assemble a cake that flies as a rocket.

144 POINTS
“Love lifts us up where we belong.” Now that you’re getting hitched, it’s time to make the cliche a reality. Create a fully decorated wedding cake that is also a fully functioning rocket. The cake must be at least 3 layers high, made of real cake, and traditionally decorated, and must be successfully launched at least 6 feet in the air—the higher it goes, the better.

scanning the list, it looks like cake-rocket has the second highest point value -- after this nonsense

269 POINTS
Elon Musk sent a car up to space recently and frankly, we think that’s a little irresponsible without the proper infrastructure in place. Send a full-size traffic sign (stop, yield, etc) or traffic cone up into space to help Musk’s robot keep to the rules of the highway in the stratosphere. You may not photoshop this item. Tweet yours to @elonmusk tagged #SafeSpaceMatters

Last edited:
I don't have the patience to dig through the clever-clever and poorly implemented GISHWES website -- but the fact that there is not a list of "items" easily located on the site makes me think that it was emailed out to the participants (either that, or it is something that only pops up when you look at the site from your phone).

This website purports to have the 2018 Item list.

https://www.fangirlquest.com/gishwhes/gish-item-list-2018/

The assignment is -- apparently -- NOT to launch a cake on a rocket or in a rocket. It is to assemble a cake that flies as a rocket.

144 POINTS
“Love lifts us up where we belong.” Now that you’re getting hitched, it’s time to make the cliche a reality. Create a fully decorated wedding cake that is also a fully functioning rocket. The cake must be at least 3 layers high, made of real cake, and traditionally decorated, and must be successfully launched at least 6 feet in the air—the higher it goes, the better.

scanning the list, it looks like cake-rocket the second highest point value -- after this nonsense

269 POINTS

Elon Musk sent a car up to space recently and frankly, we think that’s a little irresponsible without the proper infrastructure in place. Send a full-size traffic sign (stop, yield, etc) or traffic cone up into space to help Musk’s robot keep to the rules of the highway in the stratosphere. You may not photoshop this item. Tweet yours to @elonmusk tagged #SafeSpaceMatters

Only 269 points?! If you can get a stop sign to orbit the sun, you should win. "No left turn" would be better.

Only 269 points?! If you can get a stop sign to orbit the sun, you should win. "No left turn" would be better.

Seriously a traffic cone rocket would be decently stable. I'd bet that more than one flier has launched one. And it shouldn't be too hard to convince folks who think that "stratosphere" = "outer space" that it made altitude.

Edit: Wait -- "no left turn"? Left and right depend "up" and "down", so which way is "left"?

Last edited:
Per the other thread, it must be a real cake.
OH...I am not aware of any other thread on this. Just throwing my 2 cents worth in. OK, using real cake ingredients, and unless someone plans to eat said cake after the flight, could one not make a cake without leavening? Parts that cook into something similar to "Lisa Douglas" hotcakes? Very hard, impossible to eat, yet look like the real McCoy? (durability) The icing could also be made of sugar but with epoxy in it to keep it on the cake while it is flying. Just FOOD for thought.

Back