Rocket Winter Blues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Here in Scotland the weather is terrible for rockets, whether flying, or painting. Winds at 30 MPH and gusting to 50 MPH, rain, snow the whole bit. My last kit is built and the new one isn't due until late next month.....what to do to get my rocket fix....I've read all the rocket related books in the Kindle library, even straightened up my building are.
How do you get your rocket fix in these times?? Any book or video suggestions...HELP I'm melting.....

get open rocket, and start designing wild & crazy! play with the weather settings! launch for your little 'C' rocket in winds 50mph!

Start an L2 rocket in OR, and start to play with it to fully optimize it for speed & altitude.. Look up a few records, and see if you can hit them / beat them..

Design something for Spaceport or NASA STI or LC (Launch Canada) and see where you would place..

I'll add to @dhbarr and @dr wogz 's excellent suggestions:
  1. Try building cardstock models. No painting required, and they don't take up a lot of space.
  2. Build glider and/or helicopter models, easy to convince yourself that they don't require painting to save weight.
  3. Learn CAD and play with 3D-printing stuff.
None of this is a full substitute for going and flying rockets. I feel like I'm getting crankier the longer I go without flying. Of course, I'm dealing with rocket COVID winter blues, which is now about 16 months and counting.

Learn new building techniques by building, building, building.
Learn OpenRocket and design, design, design.
Post crazy ideas and see which ones work and which ones don't.

Back