Rocket Transport Options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gets better mileage also...
My Mountaineer gets 17 on average. It goes up to almost 20ish on a loooong trip.
The Transit gets 20/28...

I looked at the transit's but ended up going with the SUV w/trailer option. If I could have a dedicated vehicle just for rockets/model airplanes I would consider it. My wife doesn't like driving something larger than an SUV. They do look like they would be ideal.

I am a fan of minivans. My 2006 Honda Odyssey is pretty optimal for hauling RC aircraft and a pile of rockets. Extremely comfortable, more cubic cargo space than the same size or slightly larger SUV.

It does a fine job of hauling a 1000-1200 lb trailer to events around 400-600 miles away.

Needs to also serve as my daily driver.

My Odyssey is at 200k miles and finally needs a little work, so considering replacing it.

I have looked at Dodge Sprinters, but the ride was too truck-like and noisy for my taste.

I economize a little by getting the baseline version of a minivan and avoiding expensive options like powered sliding doors that need expensive repairs years later.

Last edited:
If I could have a dedicated vehicle just for rockets/model airplanes I would consider it.

Yes, this would be a dedicated vehicle.

I can always add a small trailer later. Towing capacity for these is typically 2,000 lbs.

I am a fan of minivans. My 2006 Honda Odyssey is pretty optimal for hauling RC aircraft and a pile of rockets. Extremely comfortable, more cubic cargo space than the same size or slightly larger SUV.

It does a fine job of hauling a 1000-1200 lb trailer to events around 400-600 miles away.

Needs to also serve as my daily driver.

My Odyssey is at 200k miles and finally needs a little work, so considering replacing it.

I have looked at Dodge Sprinters, but the ride was too truck-like and noisy for my taste.

I economize a little by getting the baseline version of a minivan and avoiding expensive options like powered sliding doors that need expensive repairs years later.

Amen, I detest the constant work our Chrysler Town & Country requires on the power sliders.

using a Buick enclave for rocket hauler , with 7 seat belts makes a great people mover too

and yes explained to sales man i was looking at all the seats folded down for rocket hauling lol

Yes, this would be a dedicated vehicle.

I can always add a small trailer later. Towing capacity for these is typically 2,000 lbs.

Sounds like a plan. Barry Lynch rented a Transit for MidWest Power a couple of years ago and he really liked it.

I bought a used 2013 Dodge Caravan back in May. Originally to be used for hauling R/C airplanes around. The fold-flat seats make it ideal. If I really need to haul passengers, the seats are there, but I usually keep them folded into the floor. I had wanted a new Nissan 1500 cargo van, but I just couldn't justify making that kind of payment for a new vehicle. I'm hoping the power sliding doors don't become a problem too soon, or at all, but that's probably wishful thinking. The only criticism I have is that the automatic transmission is a little sluggish around 2nd gear. Other than that it's been a great vehicle for my needs.

Back