Rocket Tracking for Beginners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Garmin transmitter is that? Is it in a 38mm coupler or tube. I have one, but I have been unable to get it that small.

It is a DC-30. The silver tube is 38mm yes. It took some "creative construction" but I got it to fit the tube perfectly. I even had to sand down the plywood I used as a sled to get it to fit, but fit it does.

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

It is a DC-30. The silver tube is 38mm yes. It took some "creative construction" but I got it to fit the tube perfectly. I even had to sand down the plywood I used as a sled to get it to fit, but fit it does.

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Pretty cool but not real low tech. You have given me a new item on my to do list.

Pretty cool but not real low tech. You have given me a new item on my to do list.

I consider it low tech as all I did was cut up my transmitter and re-mount it. If I could figure out a slimmer battery I would have it made. I am NOT an electric gadget doohickey fixin kinda guy so I'm scared to change anything. I looked at a few other batteries but in the end, the addition of an extra wire to the battery connection and not knowing how well, or of the charger I am using would work or not, those two things kept me from trying anything else.

I consider it low tech as all I did was cut up my transmitter and re-mount it. If I could figure out a slimmer battery I would have it made. I am NOT an electric gadget doohickey fixin kinda guy so I'm scared to change anything. I looked at a few other batteries but in the end, the addition of an extra wire to the battery connection and not knowing how well, or of the charger I am using would work or not, those two things kept me from trying anything else.

Next time you're up here, talk to Greg or Doug -- they can probably give you some good ideas. Those look like NiCd cells, and they may be able to recommend a LiPo pack that's a lot smaller.

-Kevin

Next time you're up here, talk to Greg or Doug -- they can probably give you some good ideas. Those look like NiCd cells, and they may be able to recommend a LiPo pack that's a lot smaller.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin, will do. I know their has to be a way to shrink it down, I'm just not savvy enough with this stuff to know how.

Thanks Kevin, will do. I know their has to be a way to shrink it down, I'm just not savvy enough with this stuff to know how.

Or, if you don't make it up here in August, come find us at AirFest -- both will be there, as well.

-Kevin

Or, if you don't make it up here in August, come find us at AirFest -- both will be there, as well.

-Kevin

Well AIRFest it will be. I'm having to save my pennies for that. I do plan on being at BOB though.

Can you give me more details ? How the setup will be ?

OK here is what I have seen done for this kind of thing.

1. put wadding/dog barf/nomex in rocket.
2. Put parachute in rocket.
3. Add in line chalk from tube of line chalk on top of parachute. I'd suggest red or possibly yellow. Avoid blue or white.
3a. If you like you can put the wadding/dog barf/nomex in, then the chalk and finally the parachute.
4. Put nose cone on.
5. Launch rocket.
6. Look for poof of smoke at ejection event.
7. When retrieving rocket be aware that it will most likely be coated in line chalk.

Another OK one is to put a bunch of glitter in the tube.

Hope that helps.

How i can see the rocket between the time of burn out and when it reaces apogee apogee

Most motors have a grain of slow-burning smoky propellant at the forward end which produces smoke which helps you track the flight as long as the rocket doesn't go waaaaay too fast, diluting the smoke.

As it turns out, I ended up ordering the R-300 receiver and a transmitter today...

NICE!

HAM test is next weekend. Assuming I pass, I'll have to figure out what I want to do. Looks like Com-Spec or BRB & HT are my top options. Not sure which yet.....

NICE!

HAM test is next weekend. Assuming I pass, I'll have to figure out what I want to do. Looks like Com-Spec or BRB & HT are my top options. Not sure which yet.....

I called and talked to a sales rep to place my order, and he asked if I had a channel preference...? I said that a small block chevy number comes to mind, give me channel 327!

Here's some REQUIRED reading for newbie's or anyone for that matter doing beeper tracking. [PDF below]

This was written for Walston trackers but just skip to the actual listening and tracking section. Skipping the mounting and setup as Walstons have loong antenna's 18 in. I think.
Comm-Spec is 11 and Marshal& LLC much shorter 6-7 inch.

It contains useful info for anyone using a beeper type signal!

I mount mine on the apogee shock cord 2-3 feet below payload attachment point. Others put them in NC or Av-bay, etc.
I like it to come out at apogee, the signal jumps when out of airframe and I know I have an event. Aslo stronger signal up higher to track where it's going. The signal always drops when on the ground.
If it doesn't then 99% of the time...... your in a tree or hung up on something. When this happens you will get a strong signal that jumps all over the meter or up & down in loudness. Due to the rocket swinging back and forth in tree and transmitter being blocked & unblocked as it swings past trunk or branches.

Most normal signal will give you around a 20-25 cone or arc to work within. As you swing the receiver back and forth the beeps should be loudest in the "cone". So you should try to head to the center line.

USE ELECTRICAL TAPE ONLY! NEVER, NEVER, USE MASKING TAPE TO HOLD UNIT ON SHOCK CORD!!!!

You should place your new transmitter mailbox high on something & drive off with receiver to try and find it. This will teach about things that block signal or give false direction. Water towers, silos, metal buildings and sheds. electric fences & transformers.

Drive at least a mile out and work way back looking for a signal. Circling the object works best as you go past any objects "blocking" signal. Example: if you are hanging in a tree the tree will be between you and rocket in certain directions. But when you are on the rocket side of tree...get a clear signal.

So when driving to retrieve, you should attempt to "box" or triangulate your signal when far out before abandoning a car and starting the walk.Once you figure out how to find it, then place it in other situations and go find it again. Better yet have someone go hide it. [make sure they know where it is] and you go searching. Drive as far out as you can while getting signal to see the range in different situations. Driving to at least 2 [3 better] locations and see which way the unit point will give you a good triangle to work in and narrow the direction your tracker is in.

DON'T MAKE THE BIG MISTAKE MOST NEWBIES DO! don't get the strong signal and start walking. I can't tell you how many guys have followed the signal all the way across a field only to find their baby only a short distance from the road on the "other side". Had you" boxed" the signal, you drive that mile instead of walking it!

Good luck guys, hope these tidbits come in handy. Remember learn how to use it before you fly it!

View attachment WalstonTipsAndTricksBySueMcMurray.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you Jim, this is good stuff. I already have plans to have my kids take turns biking the transmitter into the woods, so I go "easter-egg" hunting with the tracker. We will also do open field tesing with hilly terrain... luckily I have a mix-mash of obstacle to test in.

You can always turn a neighborhood kid loose in the neighborhood and try and find them.

After my last two-stage D engine rocket went out of sight and was never seen again, I'm going to try 3 things on my next one;

1) I just ordered a sonic location beacon from Adept Rocketry

2) I'll use a long shiny mylar streamer instead a parachute

3) I'm going to try the chalk powder trick. After reading several posts about using chalk powder I just made this thing. It's a 2" long section of 24mm tube with a balsa end cap. I plan to attach it to the nose cone, fill it with red marking chalk mixed 50/50 with talcum powder, then set it in the rocket on top of the streamer.

p1.JPG

Back