Rocket stuff from trash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
My boys recently got a tube of those M&M minis. The tubes are red plastic, and have a resealable cap that is attached to the tube body. I initially wondered if I could use them in a rocket, but then I discovered they were the perfect size to hold 2 D engines. I don't own one, but they look like they might be about perfect to hold a 24mm RMS casing. Someone that has one might want to try it out.

Prowler:
There called Odd-Rocs:) well if you use the parts in the condition they come anyway, Lot's of folks use the plastic tubes from candycanes, watch packing and even the plastic cores from window shade covering for all kinds of things.

I think is kinda neat to come up with ways to fly the containers themselves... not quite sure if that's what you're referring to but heres a few that may give the boy some "food for flyin" :D

No, I initially thought of flying it somehow (or using it as a payload section or something). However, since it has an attached cap that is waterproof, I am suggesting that they make great storage containers, ala the Merlin Missiles containers.

ahhhh, icic

But this won't be the first hijacked thread in history :D

My boys recently got a tube of those M&M minis. The tubes are red plastic, and have a resealable cap that is attached to the tube body. I initially wondered if I could use them in a rocket,...

Behold...

The M&M Rocket--as demanded by my 6 year old son.
M&M2.jpg
It is built out of three M&M mini's tubes--two of the larger 1.94 oz size, and one smaller 1.08 oz size, which made a perfect coupler/extender. The fins
M&M3.jpg
are the caps to the tubes (all the same size) that are epoxied TTW using the tabs from the caps. The mmt is pretty standard 18mm BT-20 tubing with handmade centering rings and a piano wire hook epoxied into place. The nose cone came from a plastic space toys set (think army men with space suits) with a balsa transition from my spare parts bin.

It flies very nicely
M&M1.jpg
on B6-4's with a slight corkscrew but generally straight and about 300-400 ft. Once we had a fin pop out on landing and get lost. No problem...off to Foodland for more M&M's!

George
ghp3

Originally posted by Micromister
Dang I'd rather make um fly than store stuff in them. or mabe just combine things to make fly... like this it's still junk for the trash:D

If it says that it has, "less oil" will it fly higher?:D

Back