Rocket Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob in Phoenix

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have finally started building all those rockets I've purchased over the years. Now I'm up to my eyes in rockets.

So when your rockets are not bouncing around on the back seat on the way to the range, how do you store your rockets?

Thanks to all.

Bob

I am having a similar conundrum, I have built around 20 rockets in the past year since becoming a BOR.
I destroyed my old rockets by storing them in a nice hot Texas garage. So i have to find a space in the house this time out of the way to keep the wife happy. Rocketry not fitting in with her idea of home decor.

Split them in half and store upright. Have to split them in half because the room has 9ft ceilings and some of the rockets are 12ft tall.

oh.....this is the LPR section...

A board with dowels in it, dowels at a very slight angle of about 5 degrees. MMT slips onto the dowel. Again, I go upright and store the board with rockets on the shelf.

Spare bedroom full of rockets, 10 x 15' storage unit with more rockets and tubes, etc., 2 storage sheds for commercial motors and motor making chemicals. ATF magazine in shed farthest from the house for BP and Thermalite. LPR rockets are in the bedroom with some high power. Then there's always the rolling range box :)
Deuce98 Preppeda.JPG
The flight of the big Deuce is on the Tripoli cards issued in 2019.

Last edited:
Echoing Aaron above, while this is a low power board...never hurts to plan ahead. I built this a few months ago:

IMG_0716.jpeg

My solution is an overhead rack on the garage ceiling. 2x material for the cleats on the ceiling, 1x3 pine for the legs, and EMT conduit for the rails. It hangs down less than 12" on a 9' ceiling, and a full-size truck (Suburban) easily fits underneath. The section on the left is is holding 6 high power rockets and a couple of long 75mm motor tubes. I put a sheet of 1/2" plywood in the middle section to make a shelf that is holding smaller rockets and other miscellaneous items, and far right section is serving as a lumber rack right now.

I'm pretty happy with how well it works...really helped to get stuff off of the floor, off the walls, out of corners and shelves, etc.

Last edited:
Way too hot in Texas to store rockets in the garage. I found that out the hard way.
But it has been fun rebuilding the fleet.

BottleBat 3.0.jpg Store my rockets in the garage but at a much lower altitude than suspended from the ceiling. And my garage is on the north side of the house.

Here in the Central Valley, we have temps routinely in the 100's during the summer months (April-September) but garage temps only rarely run into the 90's at table top level and 80's at floor level. I know...I checked.

Store the rockets on wooden spike strips I made (I am a "wood butcher" as opposed to a "cabinet maker") and dress the rockets in "rifle socks" which can be found in the sporting goods department at your local Walmart. Also useful for transporting rockets to the launch.

Attached image is 10 years old. Rockets are MUCH larger now.

Last edited:
We have a carport instead of an enclosed garage so overhead storage is not an option (insects, wind/UV, theft).
I thought about putting up a shed in the backyard but Hawaiian summers are brutal.
So I'm putting up extra shelving in the spare guest room's clothes closet.
Hope everything fits in there. I'm calling it my Rocket Room.
Bonus: When relatives call and ask if they can stay over while visiting I can honestly say "Oh, we don't have a spare room available. Would you like a hotel recommendation?":D
0226200858[1].jpg
20200226_140727.jpg
(Not a fan of pink, this was my late mom's bedroom. Will repaint one of these days.)
Laters.

I use peg board with 1/2" dowels attached with screws. The dowels have appropriate sized motors glued to the end's. The pegboard allows me flexibility to move things around as I add to the fleet.

I have a rocket closet where they all stand on dowels. They're leaning against the wall until I find cheap bases thick enough for the dowels.

I use a combination of wood planks with dowels and the Estes plastic rocket holders. Then some shelves for them to stand on

IMG_5433.jpg

(apologies if you heard this one before, last time, I promise.)

When I was a kid, I would store my rocket collection in the trees scattered around the various soccer fields where I had launched them.

I use wine boxes with the dividers and store my rockets upside down in them. You can cut squares of anything soft, like small bubble wrap or felt to protect the tips of the nosecones. By careful selection and treating it like Tetris or a jigsaw puzzle, you can get a lot of rockets in a small space, often two or three in a slot for one bottle. Then I side the entire box onto higher shelves so they are out of the way. Bigger rockets just get split between two compartments.

Tony

We were remodeling the basement during COVID and built a new rocket wall downstairs. The closet in the right of the picture hold a LOT of rockets and a build pile of almost 100 kits ready to go, but we are rotating out some of the builds that the kids like to put out and some of the ones we are working on right now. Didn't have any 29+mm stands when I took the picture, but I got a bunch today, so the rockets on the right won't have to lean against the wall anymore :)

1597457590448.png

Some old pictures some of this has moved around a bit, but this is a fair representation. Spare Bedroom, used as hobby room.Display Cabinet for the smaller ones, Old Gun cabinet for the larger scale, floor and pegboard for the others. Then a newer Panoramic of the room, all the bins are my unbilt kits, trying to find a good place for them, in a controlled environment.

Attachments

• P3050548.JPG
    P3050548.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 70
  • P3050550.JPG
    P3050550.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P3050551.JPG
    P3050551.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 74
  • P3050552.JPG
    P3050552.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20200331_154653559.jpg
    IMG_20200331_154653559.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 79
Some old pictures some of this has moved around a bit, but this is a fair representation. Spare Bedroom, used as hobby room.Display Cabinet for the smaller ones, Old Gun cabinet for the larger scale, floor and pegboard for the others. Then a newer Panoramic of the room, all the bins are my unbilt kits, trying to find a good place for them, in a controlled environment.

Please tell me a story about the silver and blue upscale Falcon....
If it's too off-topic, feel free to point me to another sub or PM...

Please tell me a story about the silver and blue upscale Falcon....
If it's too off-topic, feel free to point me to another sub or PM...
Sorry not much to tell, just the picture makes it look upscale, it is stock. The Orange one behind it is 3/4 scale, using 13mm motor mount, so that may give the appearance that the blue one is bigger.

Sorry not much to tell, just the picture makes it look upscale, it is stock. The Orange one behind it is 3/4 scale, using 13mm motor mount, so that may give the appearance that the blue one is bigger.

Yep, That's what happened. I incorrectly assumed that the orange one was full scale.

I just built this recently. Almost full but I made the rocket holders replaceable so I can just add a bigger stick and keep going.

Love seeing everyone else's set up. Gives me lots of ideas for a more display friendly storage

Attachments

• 20200816_124032.jpg
    20200816_124032.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 45
I am recently married, but my wife has accepted the fact that the living room is the display room. At least for the time being.... :p

Rocket Display_01-Small.jpg
East wall - North End

Rocket Display_02-Small.jpg
East wall - Middle

Rocket Display_03-Small.jpg
West wall - Middle

Edit: We are in the middle of redecorating the living room. New sleeper sofa, flat screen, tv stand, area rug, pictures, etc... this is why my better half is tolerating the rockets...

I am recently married, but my wife has accepted the fact that the living room is the display room. At least for the time being.... :p

View attachment 428914
East wall - North End

View attachment 428923
East wall - Middle

View attachment 428922
West wall - Middle

Edit: We are in the middle of redecorating the living room. New sleeper sofa, flat screen, tv stand, area rug, pictures, etc... this is why my better half is tolerating the rockets...
I wonder how long this will last...that is too many rockets in the living room. But Hey enjoy it as long as it is allow.

Back