Rocket Sled - 2 launches with onboard cameras. Final launches of the season

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
I'm still trying to work out all the bugs on my rocket sled before I move on to some big power. I do think I've got it worked out. Please tell me what your opinions are.

[video=youtube;amHUGxuCvH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amHUGxuCvH0[/video]

I wish youtube didn't wreck the video quality. its all been recorded and uploaded in 1080.

I can see it in 1080 now. Youtube uploads a 360p at first, and then uploads higher quality a bit later.

Did the weight / drag of the camera make it pull right?

I believe it's just the weight pulling it right and not the drag. Using D12s it doesn't seem to go fast enough for drag to take a real effect. Once I scale up to bigger rockets I think the drag will have to be something I consider. When I added the same weight to the other side it went pretty much strait.

You should try an aerotech SU motor like white lightning.

That looks cool.
Good way thinking outside the box.
I think I would move the weight back past the center point.
Unlike rockets, I think you can get the drag down some by taking weight off the front of the ski's.
Sure would be fun to build on a little bigger you could ride on and put a few M's on behind ya.

Looking like fun. MindSim says a low-thrust longburn motor would be more ideal(except E9s). It might be worth it to get a 24/40 case as you have a good selection of D, E, and F motors including the F12 with over 4 second burn time. A 3-pack of F12 reloads are currently going for CDN$31.00 so cheaper and more impulse than D12-0/D12-7 combo. Food for thought.

Also, if you go for a G, I would think a CTI G33 would be really nice. Depending on how big that field is though. Safety first!

That looks cool.
Good way thinking outside the box.
I think I would move the weight back past the center point.
Unlike rockets, I think you can get the drag down some by taking weight off the front of the ski's.
Sure would be fun to build on a little bigger you could ride on and put a few M's on behind ya.
I completely agree a further back CG would lesson the drag. The placement of engine mount wasn't so bad where it was until I added the camera and all that extra weight. For the placement of the thrust I wanted it further ahead so it was pulling the sled instead of pushing it, I thought that would be more stable and controllable but I have no data to go off of. Any thoughts on that? If you search rocket sled on YouTube I think there is a video of someone that made a ridable one, crazies out there.

Looking like fun. MindSim says a low-thrust longburn motor would be more ideal(except E9s). It might be worth it to get a 24/40 case as you have a good selection of D, E, and F motors including the F12 with over 4 second burn time. A 3-pack of F12 reloads are currently going for CDN$31.00 so cheaper and more impulse than D12-0/D12-7 combo. Food for thought.

Also, if you go for a G, I would think a CTI G33 would be really nice. Depending on how big that field is though. Safety first!

F12 seems like the ideal rocket for this. E11s are great other then they like to explode. I know nothing about reloads. I still haven't ventured out of BP motors.

Have you guys checked out all my other sled launches on my channel?

Does anyone else here do any rocket projects that aren't an actual rocket?

Back