Rocket Silo RMS “place mats”?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have this laminated page from a company called Rocket Silo that shows all the parts laid out for an RMS 29 mm motor:

1718987920394.jpeg
I thought it was pretty cool and searched around but didn’t find any others on the Internet for 38mm or 54 mm

This is like a laminated place mat of sorts that you can lay all the parts out on, to make sure you have everything as you assemble the motor. It shows how it will go together. Cool idea.

Anyone have any idea where I could get the same thing for 38 and 54 mm?

Last edited:
FWIW, these were originally offered as a small board with a milled out groove in which you could lay the motor case or liner/grains while you assemble the motor.

I don't recall if they ever officially offered the printout or if someone just dropped one on a scanner. The person behind RocketSilo (Erik Gates) sadly passed away over 10 years ago.

-Kevin

That was a real tragedy 😢
100% Agreed. I was more involved on Rocketry Planet at that time and when I heard the news, it did make my heart skip a beat and put a big lump in my throat.

I like the idea of diagram mats, either just with line art or possibly reliefs for part sizing. There are a few vendors of high quality laser work that can do stuff more cost effectively than I've figured out how to do (@DragonRocketry ) that might be able to make up some cool stuff if enough people were interested. #Guessing.

That was a real tragedy 😢

Indeed. Up until the time of his death, Erik and I chatted on the phone at least once a week.

I'm really happy to see @bandman444 flying the projects Erik created. Art Hoag is now repairing the Jayhawk, to get it into flying condition, as well.

-Kevin

Erik signed my (orange cardboard) cert card back in the day before levels. The best motor you could get was single use K250's. I was crushed when Mobley checked out. He is the singular reason I'm here and still on line. We stand on the shoulders of the ones that came before us.

One of the reasons I am asking about this is that I have never used RMS motors only DMS.

RMS is kind of confusing about all the parts - what you need, what comes with it, what doesn’t.

If someone had new placemats for 29, 38, & 54mm, that would be very helpful.

RMS is kind of confusing about all the parts - what you need, what comes with it, what doesn’t.

When the ISP Reloadable(s) first came out, they were not very confusing, as their was only one type of design and parts.
But as the product line diversified, it was necessary to have differences and extra things like seal disks.

The 29mm vs the original 38mm design had you place the O-rings opposite what they were in the other; large vs small diameter.
On the 38 Thick O-Ring is Aft and Thin O-ring is Forward.

So it becomes imperative to follow the directions. I still have to even though I got in on it when they came out.

What comes with it and what does not today should be determined by the instructions in the reload.

1719054776472.png

1719055031804.png

1719055083356.png

Last edited:
They only ever existing for 29mm and 38mm, as far as I recall.

Sadly, RocketSilo has been gone for about 20 years, ago.

-Kevin
Yeah, I really liked Steve (who sold the company to Erik Gates as I recall). Andrea and my kids gave me a gift certificate from RocketSilo for all of my L3 rocket parts.

FWIW, these were originally offered as a small board with a milled out groove in which you could lay the motor case or liner/grains while you assemble the motor.

I don't recall if they ever officially offered the printout or if someone just dropped one on a scanner. The person behind RocketSilo (Erik Gates) sadly passed away over 10 years ago.

-Kevin

20240622_064431.jpg

20240622_064700.jpg

Tony

Yeah, I really liked Steve (who sold the company to Erik Gates as I recall). Andrea and my kids gave me a gift certificate from RocketSilo for all of my L3 rocket parts.

TIL - I didn't realize Erik had bought it from someone else!

-Kevin

I have an old RocketSilo and RocketMotion bumper stickers on one of my older range boxes20240622_144905.jpg20240622_144918.jpg

Erik was one of the TAP's for my L3 cert flight. I was crushed when he passed tragically. He was not very old.

Back