Rocket Shops in Troy/Pontiac/Detroit MI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
Next week we'll be make the "big run" from Toronto down to see family in South West Ontario & Detroit before heading back to the East Shore of Lake Huron and home. It's only about 650 miles in 5 or so days.

Anyway can anyone recommend a couple of hobby stores around in or around the Northern Detroit area?? Even if it's a bit of a drive what's another 20 or 30 miles at that point :rolleyes:

Appreciate it.

Commonwealth was on toledo-dix and northline roads in Southgate, MI

and by the web , stills seem to be there

https://www.commonwealth.net/

you'll drive right by it, just off I-75

they are indeed still there and have a tremendous selection.

Their normal hours are noon-8 Saturday only, so DEFINITELY call ahead (734-282-1055) to check when they'll be open.

P&D Hobby Shop in Fraser, MI and Great Lakes Hobby in Sterling Heights are open every day and usually have good rocket selections (for hobby shops), but definitely hit Commonwealth if you can.

Last edited:
OK this is going to be a problem :(
We're not planning to be in the area until Monday midday.
Regardless, I make the call.......

Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Please.

No, that's about it for the Detroit area. P&D Hobbies is not worth the stop for just rockets. Lots of trains and planes.

Great Lakes Hobby has a big selection.

Also The Prop Shop on Van Dyke has some rockets but a good supply of SU Aerotech. Not as good as Commonwealth.

I'm on the west shore of Lake Huron. I'll wave as you go by.

+1 for the Prop Shop in Warren as sandman mentioned.
Joe's Hobby Center in Farmington on Grand River rd. used to have a good rocket selection but have not been there in over 3yrs.

Thanks everyone.
Really appreciate the advise!!

Looks like I can hit them both. Prop Shop on the way North, then drop the family and head to Great Lakes, it's like 15 minutes from the hotel. :clap: More like 10 if I try and keep up with the flow of traffic :y:

I'll honk as I go by sandman, I'll be the Impala with Ontario plates ;)

Well we got across the boarder and I made a stop at the Prop Shop. Have to say a very cool RC shop, anything and every thing an RC'er could ever want. I have a couple of buddies who could spend a years worth of pay cheques in there. :D
The rocket selection was very limited (about what I can get a the LHS by home).

I dropped the clan off at the hotel and made a run to Great Lakes Hobby. Awesome store. I've really never seen anything like it. Then again, I have lead a sheltered life :rolleyes:
Anyway, the rocket selection impressive to say the least! There is about 3/4 of an aisle of every Estes product out there. I picked up a Metalizer for may son to build and the Guardian for me. Also got a Flight Pack for engines which should keep us flying for a while. Even with the exchange, I figured I saved a few$$$.

Thanks guy appreciate the recommendations. Since we're by this way every year, I'll have to aadd Great Lakes to part of my itinerary. :cheers:

If you come back next year (or sooner), make sure you come on a Saturday when Commonwealth is open.

If Great Lakes knocked your socks off, Commonwealth would make you :y::eyepop::y:

If you come back next year (or sooner), make sure you come on a Saturday when Commonwealth is open.

If Great Lakes knocked your socks off, Commonwealth would make you :y::eyepop::y:

Imagine 5 times as much stuff as Great lakes (probably a lot more) but crammed into one aisle.

It's a tiny place! But lots of "stuff"!

Back