Rocket Ship design. What style is this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed6

Reaction score
What's the term or a good search term for the forum to find rockets that looks like this? A Google of "rocket ship" shows lots of examples. Ones that look like our forum logo. I want to see what others have created. I really like the look and I'd be interested in some build tips as the sort of bulbous shape with often no flat sides looks challenging.

rakieta-33339304.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=spa...UIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=rocket+ship

Last edited:
"retro rocket designs" is one way that they are described. The TRF search engine leaves a lot to be desired. There is a way to use the google search engine to search TRF (which I can not recall at the moment). Rocket Team Vatsaas web site seems to be down. They were the king of bulbous rocket construction and flights.

Last edited:
site:rocketryforum.com search terms here

Putting this into google will spit out all of the threads that contain your search terms.

I don't know if Rocket Team Vataas still has a website, but at one time he was the leader in those fat bulbous fifties style fantasy rocket projects.
IIRC he used lot of stacked foam blocks carved and then fiber glassed to get the project shape. Atticus posts here occasionally, he also had a nice fifties rocket called Space Cat ...think there is still a post herein.

The story of the Vataas Black Rocket and the "cease and desist" letter he got from the Black Rocket company's lawyer was one of the funniest things online.

vataas rocket.jpgVataas shenanigansA.jpgvataas.jpgvataas black rocket.jpg

What's the term or a good search term for the forum to find rockets that looks like this? A Google of "rocket ship" shows lots of examples. Ones that look like our forum logo. I want to see what others have created. I really like the look and I'd be interested in some build tips as the sort of bulbous shape with often no flat sides looks challenging.

View attachment 282424

https://www.google.com/search?q=spa...UIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=rocket+ship

You're right! Looks just like the logo!
Rocketry_Forum_logo_shadow.png

BTW - a kit of the TRF logo rocket is available through Pemberton Technologies (linked at some sticky around this forum) and from what I recall it uses cardstock to form the body around the bt.

BTW - a kit of the TRF logo rocket is available through Pemberton Technologies (linked at some sticky around this forum) and from what I recall it uses cardstock to form the body around the bt.

I haven't seen much of Layne and his crazy llamas? He used to be quite active here a couple years back, and had some awesome designs! The Bucky Jones was very cool!!

I haven't seen much of Layne and his crazy llamas? He used to be quite active here a couple years back, and had some awesome designs! The Bucky Jones was very cool!!

His web site was updated in Dec. Hope he's OK! I just placed an order for a Space Ark Jr to see if I could provoke a response...

His web site was updated in Dec. Hope he's OK! I just placed an order for a Space Ark Jr to see if I could provoke a response...

Let us know. I looked but didn't see the TRF rocket.

Thanks all for the great tips and links! Some research into this has proved a fun distraction from my current build.

Do a google search for "art deco rocket" and look at the images. Is this what you're looking for?

I love the old 50s rockets as my avatar suggests. Had a now defunct company to make them and even sold a few. Kept the website up to have a permanent email and to annoy myself. :eyeroll: Have a look: www.silverrockets.com/Retro_Rocketeers.html The techniques used were labourious and expensive so not a good way to go.

There is a thread by hornetdriver on his build of the rocket from Twenty Million Miles to Earth rocket on TRF worth a look.

Richard

Last edited:
Layne is still selling since I ordered the TRF logo kit back in December and got it.

Thanks to all for your kind words and concern. After several setbacks including the complete loss of our web-service and email db, we are rebuilding and open for bidness. Heck, we even made it to NSL this year!
I'll try to post a picture of the Logo Rocket and some NSL shots tonight tonight.

I love the old 50s rockets as my avatar suggests. Had a now defunct company to make them and even sold a few. Kept the website up to have a permanent email and to annoy myself. :eyeroll: Have a look: www.silverrockets.com/Retro_Rocketeers.html The techniques used were labourious and expensive so not a good way to go.

There is a thread by hornetdriver on his build of the rocket from Twenty Million Miles to Earth rocket on TRF worth a look.

Richard

Defunct????
NO!, Say it ain't so! I've had my eye on you work for years waiting for the kits to be released.

Okay, here she is...
The TRF Logo Rocket!!!

TRF Logo Rocket.jpg

She still isn't up on the website yet, but we will fix that soon.

Defunct????
NO!, Say it ain't so! I've had my eye on you work for years waiting for the kits to be released.

Yes its had to take a back seat to health issues which led to bankruptcy and other contingencies still ongoing. Currently I'm retired in a system that traps people such that making money = losing money to a point which is above any return from a nitch within a nitch that Silver Rockets fits.

I still want to! If there is a way.

Thanks for the good words Layne. ;)

Richard

p.s. I like the TRF rocket and the one behind it too! The body for the TRF could easily be used for a Tin-Tin rocket. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Yes its had to take a back seat to health issues which led to bankruptcy and other contingencies still ongoing. Currently I'm retired in a system that traps people such that making money = losing money to a point which is above any return from a nitch within a nitch that Silver Rockets fits.

I still want to! If there is a way.

Thanks for the good words Layne. ;)

Richard

p.s. I like the TRF rocket and the one behind it too! The body for the TRF could easily be used for a Tin-Tin rocket. Just a thought.

Richard,
I made a Tin-Tin type rocket years ago, and am still looking for ways to make it more original and affordable.
You can see it here:

Now, the one behind the TRF Logo Rocket is the M2-Mars Challenger. My take on "It, the terror from outer space" and "Flight to Mars". Production of the MPR kit is suspended right now while I try to produce a LPR version.

Yes, I'm currently cutting foam for a S8 rocket glider. May I inquire what your thoughts transpire?

Richard :drool:

Back