Rocket Science (Canadian miniseries)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Just discovered the existence of this through its mention in the text below an excerpt from it in a YouTube video:

Rocket Science (Canadian miniseries)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Science_(miniseries)

Rocket Science is a miniseries first released in 2002-2003, chronicling the major events in the American/Soviet space race, starting from the first hypersonic rocket planes through the development of human space flight, culminating with the mission by mission history of Projects Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. The series features interviews with X-1 and X-15 pilots Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield, astronauts Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirra, Scott Carpenter, Gene Cernan, Frank Borman, James Lovell, Buzz Aldrin and Alan Bean, flight controllers Gene Kranz, Christopher Kraft and Sy Liebergot, authors Arthur C. Clarke, Andrew Chaikin, Robert Godwin and Robert J. Sawyer, and broadcaster Walter Cronkite, among others. While focusing mainly on the American side of the race, the series also covered major Soviet achievements through every key phase of the 1950s and 60s Space Race.

The series was produced, written and directed by Canadian filmmaker Michael Lennick for The Discovery Channel (Canada), and narrated by actor Graham Greene. Music was composed by Eric Robertson. Lennick filmed a pilot episode named "The Highest Step" about the high-altitude balloon flights of Project Manhigh and the rocket sled tests of Colonel John Paul Stapp.

The series was released in 2004 in DVD-video format as a three-disc box set with total running time of 540 minutes. The box set did not include the pilot episode.

Due to contractual restrictions the series was never aired in the United States.

Rocket Science Collector's Edition
DVD | Box Set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IQE1Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Watch out, the only correct DVD buying links are listed under:

DVD (Jul 27, 2004) Collector's Edition 3 discs - $39.99 new $29.94 used

ALL of the other links including the link to buy the Amazon video version are for a teen flick of the same title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the relative rarity of this DVD set, the used prices on Amazon are higher than usual, but after buying and watching it, I'd rate it as well worth having for space enthusiasts. It contains a significant amount of footage I've never seen before along with many excellent interviews and anecdotes, many of which I've never heard or read before, from many of the big names involved. I don't know how they did it, either by long searches for high quality source material or by digital flaw removal, but the vast majority of the historic film footage used is in unusually good condition.

I've scanned the liner notes:

26726663689_e288c6b615_h.jpg

Back