rocket repairs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stetson623

Reaction score
attempted a level 1 cert flight on an I300 38mm motor. rocket was stock with 54mm motor mount so i purchased an adapter. instructions said to use masking tape and friction fit the adapter into the case. Guess what happened? Yep, motor and adapter gutted rocket. this year I am trying again, bought new adapter that is NOT friction fit, and backing it up with screw/washer combo (live and learn). But to reattach shock cord I had to cut the rocket. everything is back together and I am confident that this year I will get both L1 and L2 cert. My question is this: after cutting the rocket with hacksaw and re-epoxy everything back together, the 2 halves are not matching up that great. astecically speaking there is a small grove where the two halves come together. suggestions on filling this?? It is strictly cardboard tubing, no fiberglas (never worked with it so not sure how to do it) or anything else. Also due to time and children the fins are not as strong as i would like... best suggestion for reinforcing them... will epoxy on the fillets be ok?

thanks fellow roketeers!!! see you at the next launch!

Is it just a piece of coupler inserted between the two halves? You could just get another piece of tube that's the right length and slit it to fit over the narrow spot. You'd still have a couple of seams to fill if you wanted it perfectly smooth, but it's an easy fix.

kj

it is just a coupler, i was wondering how to fill the seam. the photo shows the coupler before it was epoxyd in place. it is a minor seam, but would like to fill it before i repaint. just not sure what to use for the fill... was actually thinking wood filler, but you fine folks would know more than me at this point.

Since the coupler is where the strength is, I would just fill it with Elmer Fill and Finish, or whatever you use to fill spirals. You could use some 5 min. epoxy, but it would be harder to finish.

Since the coupler is where the strength is, I would just fill it with Elmer Fill and Finish, or whatever you use to fill spirals. You could use some 5 min. epoxy, but it would be harder to finish.

I'd use Bondo Spot Putty, instead, or epoxy thickened with microballoons.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back