Rocket R&D Brutus build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
Got Some build time available and The LOC Mother Lode isn't here yet. What to do... I know Mr. Eric hooked me up with a Rocket R&D Brutus. not in the original bag and the paper tube is yellowed so tomorrow it comes out of the bag and let the build begin. Classic Cardboard pulling at my heart.

Cool Bob! I can't wait to watch the Motherliad too! Whoa that came out wrong ... Mother Load

Bob
The Brutus was my L-1 rocket. I flew it on a H220 Rocket Flite Silver Streak motor. Purchased from Ross Duton.

Ross.... now that isn't a name I talked to in a few days. Yes he is alive but dont expect Magnum to come back. Yes I have a way back machine.

Bob what is Ross doing now days? He became our 1st dealer. He came up here to WI for a launch and I asked him if he needed any chutes. He said yes and 25 years later we are still here.

Body tube slotted, motor mount glued up, payload bulk head glued up, fins sanded. 2 none old school changes, if you look close at the motor mount. early style motor retention and Kevlar.
Rosses health is not perfect. ended up having to give up his pilots licence. Nothing life threatening though (thank goodness). If he says I can talk more I will but. But I wont say if he dosnt want me to. He knows he is missed in the rocket community.

IMG_20160626_141536.jpg

Starting to look like a Brutus. Fins tacked in, top edge of body tube and pay load coupler CA'ed to keep the card board from fraying. Tomorrow the Fin filits get started and add the launch lugs. Yes I said lugs not rail buttons. Priming Painting and it will be ready for NARAM's sport range. Paint will be white with one red fin and the original decal.

IMG_20160626_164909.jpg

Looks good, Bob! Thanks for putting it together! Next launch we co-attend, I'll bring mine and we'll have to drag race. Well done, sir!:clap:

Thanks Mr. Eric. Rumblings are Midwest power may be open to other vendors, and if that is the case.. if not we do have Three Oaks and LDRS.

old school looking good Bob... Wow lugs! Hope to swing by and see it in person sometime when I'm in the neighborhood

Back on the build. Fin fillets started, 1/2 inch launch lugs added. One more modern update. I will add 1010 rail buttons on the opposite side of the launch lugs. Just in case I take it to a field that dose not have a 1/2" rod.

I am doing a Brutus build. I got Scott Binder from SBR the designer of the Brutus when he worked for Rocket R&D to make up a Brutus for me. My L1 was destroyed when basement had water in it.
The good news is that you were able to replace the Brutus.

Even better news is that we all can buy a Brutus kit from Scott’s FusionRocket.biz website. I actually bought a 3” Thor kit and a 29mm L’il Thor kit this morning.

I have always wanted a full size 7’ tall Thor but the thought of lugging one over hill and dale at my age gives me pause That’s why I went with the smaller 3” by 4.5 foot tall version...it still has a 54mm motor tube.

I highly recommend Scott’s build videos on youtube and on his site.

Back