rocket prepellant in the lab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I hate it that there is no flame but it would still be a fun learning experience to build a motor and KN seems to be the easiest propellant to start off with. Remeber I want to start off small. Not necessarily skipming on parts or design just staying relitively simple when it comes to the propellant. Just out of curiosity what does TRA say about AN motors? Well, I or my teacher wouldn't be allowed to launch these eventually at a RA launch because she is not even certerfied an of neither am I, I'm only 16. The only way we could is if my Physics teacher got his L2 certification. Wait not even he could. He is NAR. Oh well, we could always hold a private launch not TRA and of course not NAR sanctioned. I printed off a lot of stuff for Richard Nakka's site and got lots of info on the sorbitol motors. This guy really knows what he is doing.

Jimmy,
Would your motors be considered dextrose based? Thanks!

The case that I would be using would be 29mm x 12". I was trying to figure out what grain length, how many, core diamter, and nozzle diameter when I remember that Loki said to use for their casings. So i jumped over there and they have a 11.8" case with this information:

Motor diamter: 29mm
Case length: 11.8"
Case wall: 0.058"
Approx total impulse: 360
Liner length: 10"
Max propellant length: 9.75"
EX nozzle throat: 0.344"
Typical Bates Grain Geometry: Six 1-5/8" long grains, four with 3/8" cores and two with 7/16" cores

Where would the 7/16" grains go? Top or bottom? Would it make too much a difference if I just made those the same as the rest, 3/8" diameter core?

Would any of this information be useful to me for a KNO3/Sorbitol based motor?

Jimmy,
Can you explain to me what "recrystallized" propellant is? Thanks!

the smaller core grains go toward the forward end to supress erosive burning.

all stuff you should know before you start.

i'd recommend getting a good book on the subject, just to have something that is easier to reference WHILE you are making the motors, so you don't have to go run and get online to find an answer.

McCreary's text is great for AN/AP compositions

Sleeter's text would probably be more useful, since the KN/sugar motors are basically just a change of formulation of BP using sugar as a fuel instead of carbon/charcoal.

Sleeter's also covers nozzle making for single use motors using clay/grog/paraffin rammed into a paper casing.

good luck!

I know about erosive buring I just didn't know location. Do you have the name of sleeter's book? I am reading a book called Rocket Motor Design by James E. Lanier that has every formula that I need but I don't have a book on the actual propellant yet. But what propellant is the information that I just posted from Loki supposed to be used for or can those dimentions and information be used with any kind of propellant in that casing? Thanks!

Amateur Rocket Motor Construction: A complete guide to the construction of homemade solid fuel rocket motors

ISBN #0-930387-04-X

to answer your question; when you KNOW how to calculate the answer on your own, you are ready to proceed.

tell us, what do you know about erosive burning?
why would a grain be constructed with a smaller core?
what effect would that have on the motor?

there's no way to leapfrog over the information and remain safe.

that's my opinion, anyway.

Ok, since everybody seems to have trouble comprehending my goals of this "project" and the manner I will procede in it let me restate AGAIN.

I am using this as an educational experience. I WANT to learn how rocket motors are made, the physics behind it, and the overall "funness" of it. I am taking this slowly (as much as you guys would like to disagree) and trying to reasearch as much as I can. Every chance I have had access to the internet since this was made official has been spent researching propellants and motors. I so far have spent at least 15 hours or longer just readng stuff and soaking it in. I know that is not a lot and that is nowhere near the end of my research. I have gotten over some pretty big obstacles so far. I have someone who is very generous who is willing to make me a casing for free, a teacher who is excited to do this as much as I am and all by her own doing, I have figured what propellant I will be using as well as many different recipies and variations as well as preparation and casting methods that look very promising, and a great book with everything in it I need to know about motor design. I would like to say that I have been very successful so far in the little time I have had in this endeavor. To quote somebody in a previous post, it's the journey that gets you there, not where you end up. I want to make a successful motor but if it fails each and everytime, I see it as one more learning experience and a chance to figure out what went wrong so that the next time it will be successful. I don't turn away from failures, in fact I am actaully looking foward to them because that gives me another chance to learn. I love to learn and figure out things and this is a great way to experience that. Now don't get me wrong by me saying I welcome failures, I didn't mean that as I am going to cut corners and not put a lot of effort into the motor so that it will fail. I am saying that I am not going to get discouraged if something doesn't work out right, in fact, it would give me one more reason to pursue it even more. If I get to the point where I do have a successful motor, I won't stop there, I will keep on tinkering and finding ways to make it better or maybe try a new propellant and start from page 1 and do it all over again. But don't get me wrong, safety will not be compromised in any way. I am not going to "rush through this" like many of you think. The reason why I was asking in the previous post I had about those dimentions from Loki was because if it would work, their casing is so similar to mine that I would use their information as a starting point. I can't do any formulations yet untill I have the information about the casing, grains, nozzle, etc. and that is what is keeping me from getting anywhere. I NEED to, WANT to, and HAVE to do these formulas for the motor before I even start mixing up stuff. I need to find out the ISP, the burn time, chamber pressure, thrust, etc. before I mix up any propellant (other than to be used to find burn time). So that was my whole reason behind those questions. I want to build the motor on paper and have all of its theoretical characteristics before the actual motor is built. That way I will know before the first motor is test fired wether or not my casing will rupture/explode, or wether or not I'm getting enough thrust from a particular propellant, or wether or not something isn't designed right. I don't like to make mistakes and have stuff go to waste because of poor planing. That is why I am researching NOW and not after I order everything. So that is why I have been asking you guys for so much help and information in which most of you have supplied me with and encouraged me to do so. I am looking foward to this endeavor and I don't want to be held down and not be able to proceed in this journey due to lack of information that would compromise safety. That's all. So now there is no reason for confusion on what my goals are.

As far as the erosive burning, all I can tell you about it is that it is when at ignition the is a huge thrust spike (mostly found in motors with large numbers of grains, the J570W is a good example of this). If the erosive burning wasn't controlled properly, many things could go wrong such as:

spit nozzle
spit aft or foward closure
grain cracking
case rupture

As far as how a smaller core diameter would help, then I don't know about that the book I have really only talks about formulas and stuff and doesn't go into much detail about the actual grain and stuff, etc. That is why I am still researching because I am nowhere near done learning stuff that would make me feel prepared to actually start on making motors and propellant. I am going to look for that book you posted a minute ago and see how much it is and order it. Well, that is all for now. Thanks again guys!

Regarding Experimental Motors

Discussions of generalized theories of things such as "Why hasn't any manufacturer ever done this?" or "Is there some reason {insert blurb here} won't work as a propellant?" are appropriate topics for discussion. When it comes to "How can I make a motor using Oxyclean?" or "What proportion of chemicals do I use to make a cool green motor?", we've crossed the line of what this particular forum was designed to address. The moderators and admins have "energetically" discussed an EX forum and we decided against it. Our reasons were based on liability and the mechanics of policing such a forum.

Given the current "climate" in the world today, some assurance that we aren't providing information to some terrorist cell in a foreign country needs to be had in order for people to feel comfortable discussing topics such as these. When a new user, without much information in their profile and a hotmail email address, posts this type of question, it throws up red flags everywhere!

At this stage of The Rocketry Forum's life, discussions of propellant formulation and motor making techniques are something that will have to be postponed until the forum leaders can become comfortable with this type of discussion.

Originally posted by Elapid
Sleeter's text would probably be more useful, since the KN/sugar motors are basically just a change of formulation of BP using sugar as a fuel instead of carbon/charcoal.

In that case, how easy is KN/sorbitol or KN/dextrose to light? Any potential for using it to replace BP in ejection charges?

Bill

Havoc821 wrote:

The case that I would be using would be 29mm x 12". I was trying to figure out what grain length, how many, core diamter, and nozzle diameter when I remember that Loki said to use for their casings. So i jumped over there and they have a 11.8" case with this information:

Motor diamter: 29mm
Case length: 11.8"
Case wall: 0.058"
Approx total impulse: 360
Liner length: 10"
Max propellant length: 9.75"
EX nozzle throat: 0.344"
Typical Bates Grain Geometry: Six 1-5/8" long grains, four with 3/8" cores and two with 7/16" cores

Jimmy kicks in:

I have a 3-grain Loki 29mm casing which I use for testing propellants. The graphite nozzle is 1.295 inches long, the head-end plug is 0.398 inch deep. Add to these the depth of the nozzle washer thickness, and the depth of the snap-ring cuts from either end of the case, and it all totals 2.047 inches. Subtract 2.047 inches from the 11.8 inch case length, and you have 9.753 inches of empty casing available for your propellant column.

The inside diameter of my 29mm casing is 1.007 inches. I will estimate that your case liner and grain inhibitor will take 0.1 inch on either side, so the diameter of the propellant grains is 0.8 inch.

So what's with all these numbers? Well, this is leading to the methods whereby one can figure out how to make a motor that will not blow up and maybe even work.

One must determine the maximum pressure that will be exerted upon the motor casing during the burn. The primary determinant of this pressure for any given propellant is the Kn ratio, which is the ratio of burning propellant surface to the area of the nozzle throat.

It is a fairly simple problem of solid geometry to figure out what the Kn ratio would be. It is made a bit more complex by the fact that the ratio changes as the burn progresses, and made much more complex when erosive burning occurs.

Running a sim with the case you described burning six 1.625 grains, 0.8 inch OD with 3/8 inch cores, one gets a maximum Kn ratio (near mid-burn) of 200. With KNO3/sucrose, this would generate a pressure of about 625 psi. With KN/Dextrose about 350 psi, and with KN/sorbitol about 375 psi.

(The pressure figures are from tables provided on Richard Nakka's website: https://members.aol.com/kappadx/design1.html)

If using dextrose or sorbitol, you might consider a smaller nozzle throat, as propellant burns more efficiently at higher pressure, yielding higher ISP. With KN/dextrose, a 3/16 inch throat (.3125 inch) would generate a max pressure of about 600 psi.

A well-made and properly insulated aluminum casing should have no problem with 600psi. Even Sch40 PVC handles this pressure OK, with a fair safety margin. But changing the nozzle throat diameter will have a dramatic effect on Kn ratio, so it is important to run a sim or two on any prospective motor before even building it, much less testing it. (I have a little VB program for figuring Kn ratios, if you are interested - you still need to know the math, but once you know what it's doing, the program makes running simulations quick and easy.)

A problem with long, skinny cases is that the burning propellant gasses may reach supersonic speed within the casing. This creates shock waves that can rip propellant from the grain, leading to much faster burning, thus higher-than-anticipated pressures. (Remember those pretty mach diamonds on Matt's motor? You want them OUTSIDE the casing, not in it!)

The rationale for increasing the core diameter in the grains near the nozzle is that this allows the moving gas column to expand a bit so it doesn't hit Mach 1 prematurely. Ideally, the gas column should reach supersonic speed right at the nozzle throat.

I can't speak for dextrose or sorbitol as I have never used them to any extent. But if this motor were fired with recrystallized KN/sucrose, the propellant weight would be 107 grams, the burn time about 0.64 second, the average thrust about 42 lbf, and the total impulse about 120 Ns.

I suggest starting with a shorter casing, perhaps 3 or 4 grain, and not have to worry about erosive burning, at least until you have other matters worked-out.

Finally getting around to answering your question: Recrystallized propellant is made by dissolving KNO3 and sugar in boiling water with a texturizer (either Karo Syrup or a mixture of dextrose and fructose.) This solution is then poured into flat pans and baked in an oven until dried, scraped up, and kneaded into a pliable "dough."

Three advantages:

1. You don't have to stand over it and stir while cooking. I can sit a safe distance away until the magic moment arrives, turn off the oven, put on all my protective gear, and finish the processing well clear of potential ignition sources.

2. It does not require grinding of the ingredients beforehand - dissolving creates a very fine particle size, thank you! The moleular-fine particles provides for very smooth, efficient, and predictable burn.

3. And finally, it produces a "friendly" propellant that can be worked like modeling clay into any shape you might wish. Yes, you can hold a ball of propellant in your hand, and unless you do something truly idiotic you are not likely to be burned.

Some caveats:

1. It should not be done in the kitchen! Used ovens are often give-aways. Get one installed in your workshop, and cook a few pizzas in it so you know it works right. Invite me over!

2. There are some danger points in making this propellant - appropriate safety precautions are required at those points. I will not recite my safety instructions here, as they are many pages long, but they should be read and followed.

One more bit and I will quit for the night: You have found the fatal flaw. My stuff is KN/sucrose and thus not allowed at TRA EX launches.

Good news is that these techniques work OK with dextrose.

Medium-bad news is that my technique is unnecessary, as sorbitol and dextrose melt at a much lower temperature, rendering my beloved techniques unnecessary. Unless you hate grinding KNO3!

Postscript: I had vowed not to talk experimental on this forum, but don't seem to be able to help myself. I seek the guidance of the list moderators as to whether this level of detail is acceptable on this forum.

Jimmy Yawn
[email protected]
www.jamesyawn.com

Thanks for clarifying - I had a feeling that last post was a bit over the line. Please accept my apologies.

I would encourage those who seek such detail to join the experimental discussion lists, or contact me off-line.

Jimmy Yawn
[email protected]
www.jamesyawn.com

Sorry for not being able to respond in a few days, I haven't had a chance to get on. I have a book with all of that stuff you just explained in it so theoretically, I could design any motor with just the propellant characteristics. Thanks for the information about the motor dimentions and stuff. All I had to do was supply Keith with the information about the nozzle bore (ie: size) and all he would have to do is ship it. I have looked over your (Jimmy) site pretty extensevly and I'm not sure if I like the recrystallized too much because of safety reasons. I'm sure it is just fine but I am a little over cautious.

Everybody else,
I have been advised by an individual that I look up to very much who has done EX before that I should discontinue my level of research and I should let the teacher take command. I mean, she was but I was just trying to help out by doing research on my own but after realizing how much trouble I could get in for just asking questions and researching, I am therefore limiting my research. I may be contacting a few of you privately once my teacher and I really get started in this but for now, you will not see anymore questions posted on here regarding propellant. I would like to say THANKS! to many of you who have been so greatful in helping me out with information and showing me what to and what not to do. Well, that is all for now. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by havoc821

As far as the erosive burning, all I can tell you about it is that it is when at ignition the is a huge thrust spike (mostly found in motors with large numbers of grains, the J570W is a good example of this). If the erosive burning wasn't controlled properly, many things could go wrong such as:

spit nozzle
spit aft or foward closure
grain cracking
case rupture

As far as how a smaller core diameter would help, then I don't know about that the book I have really only talks about formulas and stuff and doesn't go into much detail about the actual grain and stuff, e

I tried to cut out all the BS, and I think I got it.

Your definition of erosive burning is kind of accurate, but not really, and it doesnt get to the heart of the issue. Erosive burning CAN cause a large thrust spike in the biginning og the burn.

Anyway, now that I have said that I better explain it.

Erosive burning is caused when the core diameter of the grains is close to the same size as the nozzle throat. When this is the case, the rate the gasses flow down the core increases. When this speed increases it puts stress on the propellant surface; which can cause 2 things. First it can rip small chunks of propellant off the grains and increase burnrate, but if the motor is too erosive large chunks can be pulle off which can clog the nozzle or increase the burnrate too much.

Erosivity is usally only a problem in long motors. To Keep the Kn down the core size is decreased, which brings it closer to the nozzle throat. The way of solving this problem is usually to step the grain cores (larger at the bottom.)

<snip> In that case, how easy is KN/sorbitol or KN/dextrose to light? Any potential for using it to replace BP in ejection charges?

Bill

Jimmy writes: KN/sugar propellants are generally rather hard to light. That is good in many ways, as they are not very prone to accidental ignition via friction, impact, or moderate heat. They are also hygroscopic, and when exposed to air become damp and may be impossible to light. Thus sugar propellant would not be my first choice for ejection, nor my second, nor my third.

Good news is that Red Dot (a smokeless shotgun powder) works quite well as an ejection charge. It's easy to find and relatively uncontrolled - I used to buy it at K-Mart. Takes about twice as much - if you are using one gram black powder, try two of Red Dot. And please do a ground-test or two before sending it aloft.

Bullseye might be even better, it being a faster-burning powder. But it is harder to find, and I don't happen to have any at the moment.

Slow-burning powders did not do well in my tests.

I'm not sure what TRA or NAR would have to say about this, and am hesitant to ask. Anyone know if there is a rule on ejection powders?

Jimmy
[email protected]
www.jamesyawn.com

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I tried to cut out all the BS, and I think I got it.

Likewise. You don't have to be cheeky about it if you want to teach somebody something. We aren't born with omniscient knowledge of EX...

The way of solving this problem is usually to step the grain cores (larger at the bottom.)

The one danger with this is that you will end up having the bottom grains burn out faster than the top grains. This will decrease the Kn to the point where the motor might go out. At the very least, the thrust will decrease significantly for the last part of the burn. You may also end up spitting out the bottom grain casting liners.

One way to solve this problem is to use a little "rokkit science" and put a slower propellant in the bottom grains and tweaking the motor design until they all burn out at once. Frank does this with the M5100, though not because the core sizes are different. In longer motors, the gases flowing past the aft grain tend to move a little quicker than the relatively stagnant flow near the head end of the motor. This causes them to burn a little faster. In the M5100, with 48" of propellant, this problem is magnified to the point where it justifies using slower propellant in the bottom.

Long motors are challenging, but they're fast as heck! I love 'em :)

Thanks Davey, I was going to say something but I didn't want to be on somebody's hitlist. ;) You summed it up for me.

Listen everybody,

I'm sorry if you don't like the idea of a teenager wanting to learn more and expand his knowledge and do something different from everybody else but I am just asking for help, not to be shot down or be discouraged by others. I know EX is dangerous if not paying attention to safety but I am doing that. It is starting to look like this won't be happening due to fact that I don't think my teacher was as interested as I thought she was so I am still going to hope but it is no big deal either way, I still learned a lot and never had to actually make anything. I will try talking to her tommorrow to get her final stand on this and I will go from there but for now this thread will probably be dormant for a while. I will still check it but I probably won't have anything for a while, but I would liek to say thank you to all of those of you who did help out and it was greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dont get me wrong, I definantly thing you should do this, I just didnt want to include that stuff that didnt really add anything to the conversation. You can definantly do it, and saftely too, I was trying to answer the question thats all. I am not saying you shouldnt at all!

One thing that solved the liner spitting- glueing the grains into the liner.

One thing that solved the liner spitting- glueing the grains into the liner.

That'd better be some pretty high-temperature epoxy... chamber temperatures typically approach numbers in the thousands of degrees. All that epoxy will vaporize in the first instant the motor lights up! Justin Gleiter (master of the 38/1116 case) commented that he was having some success with a combination of epoxy and RTV, but the grains were still being spit out near the end of the burn. It's just something that happens with stepped cores, or with long motors.

It's worth looking in to the slower propellant thing to keep the total impulse up. Or at least I think so. We do call ourselves "rocket scientists" :)

sugar propellants are alright...at most though you can expect 300feet from a C sized motor casing. i've made a sugar motor with a K impulse, but it was like, 30 times bigger than a K and the core was a wopping 1" in diameter.
for ejection charges, BP works best, definately.
Edited by moderators to remove ratios and procedures

Here is a standard sugar motor I fired today. Notice that it NOT low thrust, but a short burner. It fired almost exactly like what I predicted. This is a full H class motor, making it roughly a 320H200. When you test fire your motors, there should be no suprises: you should know what will happen. Don't say, "I think this will work," or "this looks right."

This is general information, not targeted at anyone.

Originally posted by r1dermon
i've made a sugar motor with a K impulse, but it was like, 30 times bigger than a K and the core was a wopping 1" in diameter.

I think that 30 times is a little out of proportion. People tend to slam sugar for some reason. I have a 1700 Ns K motor, it's 54 mm and the case is 20" long with 18" of propellant. Gives a nice boost and a burn time of about 2.25 seconds. If you switch from sucrose to sorbitol or dextrose, the motors become much nicer to work with. The burn times get longer and the propellant much easy to process.

Edward

Yep, 30 times is a blown a BIT out of proportion. Sugar's lower Isp is offset by a degree by it's density compared to APCP propellants; it's density is about 1.8 gm/cc at normal cast density. This compares to APCP's usual of about 1.5 gm/cc.
This means that per given grain dimensions, you can get more weight in Sugar propellant than APCP.

BP out performs sugar by a lot. i've also tried flash powder, but that just blows up. even in small quantities with a large nozzle outlet. i've tried mostly everything flammable. actually, boiling the sugar with the KNO3 works a lot better than using it as powder with sulfur. it makes a nice hard grain. my biggest problem with sugar propellent is that it takes a while to ignite. and it absorbs water like crazy.

BP out performs sugar by a lot.

I believe BP has an ISP of around 80ish while sugar has and ISP around 125-130ish.

my biggest problem with sugar propellent is that it takes a while to ignite.

In another thread you wrote:
BP will make a pop and accelerate the burn rate over the entire core. i do it with my sugar rockets all the time.

If your using a core full of BP then that should ignite very fast, maybe fast enough for a CATO.

Hmmmm,
Edward

BP out performs sugar by a lot. i've also tried flash powder, but that just blows up. even in small quantities with a large nozzle outlet. i've tried mostly everything flammable. actually, boiling the sugar with the KNO3 works a lot better than using it as powder with sulfur. it makes a nice hard grain. my biggest problem with sugar propellent is that it takes a while to ignite. and it absorbs water like crazy.

Ummm... right.
No, sugar by a very large margin outperforms BP.
BP is subject to many variables such as type of charcoal, type of sulfur (the different allotropes give different characteristics) etc.
And anyway, give BP a run through PROPEP - this will show you the difference.

Sugar's performance can be predicted quite accurately while BP's cannot. This makes optimal motor design very difficult using BP.

And that flash powder idea is pretty silly - KP's "n" exponent is about 0.7, making prediction very difficult. Also, 7-3 flash decomposition products are almost all solids... making a very inefficent propellant. Not to mention the safety aspect problem :eek: !

lol, correct edward, i did write that with the help of BP it ignites faster. and if you think it will cato, i suggest that you try it on a small scale, and see the results.
almost forgot one VERY important thing. sugar propellents give off steam, thereby dampening the propellent immediately in contact with them, especially in a hard pressed grain. sugar is considerably safer than BP in home experiments, but BP, as it is not hydroscopic, and generally has a higher impulse when pressed into a hard grain, is definately the choice for not composite/liquid propellent. BP also deflagrates violently when in powder form which cannot be said to the same extent as sugar.

also, the flash thing was an experiment. just to see how high the impulse would be. it was also a moderate flash powder. with deflagration time being about a 7 on a 10 scale. about what they use in m-80's. but this had a nozzle hole....even still, it blew like an m-80. maybe i'll try sulfur instead.:D
it all depends on the flash comp. in an aluminum or magnesium powder, it would be a lot more solid byproduct that sulfur would create.

Sugar has a maximum acheivable impulse of around 130Ns.... where as bp you'll never get over 95Ns

I believe you are talking about impulse, which is measured in seconds, not Ns.

Edward

I don't even get this:
sugar propellents give off steam, thereby dampening the propellent immediately in contact with them, especially in a hard pressed grain.

Are you meaning that while burning, one of the decomposition products is steam? Or something else? If so, thats completely irrelevant - it would have no effect on the burning whatsoever as the steam is being sucked down toward the throat, away from the reaction zone.
Almost invariably sugar propellants are hotcast, not pressed in a powder form. The physical characteristics are much better when cast. Same with the performance.

and generally has a higher impulse when pressed into a hard grain.

Even if sugar propellant was compressed in powder form I would imagine that it's performance would exceed BP by a large margin.

My standard H180 sugar motor that I fly often I have verified as delivering 125 sec Isp (@900psi)... infact i'd be very surprised if you could get above 70 sec Isp with BP... simply due to the pressures you'd have to run it at to get the 70 sec Isp are completely impractical for BP (~1000psi) :eek: .

You know steam rockets would be neat if they were not so dangerous.

RRS launched one a number of years ago called the Scalded Cat.

https://www.rrs.org/Projects/Launches/Steam_Rocket/body_steam_rocket.html

The main fellow behind this I believe then went on to make a rocket go cart using steam engines. I think that there was a HPR spread on the go-cart.

Underestimating the power of steam can dangerous for your health.

Back to the post, even if a sugar motor let off a little steam it would not effect the perfomance of the motor much.
The hydroscopic nature of sugar base propellents are easy to control. I have grains that are around 9 months old that are dry. I store them in a sealed container with bag of dry-rid in it, keeps-em bone dry.

As for safety, sugar propellents like anything else have a certian amout of risk and should be approched with caution. I have not tested but I feel that melted sugar propellent is much safer then working with BP. Even with sugar the powder stage is the most dangerous even a static charge has the potential to set it off. The melting stage has risks that are somewhat mitigated if you use lower melting point sugars such as sorbitol and dextrose. Once the propellent is cured it is fairly safe and has a much high ignition temp then BP.

I am going to stick with the sugar propellents, I think that BP has to many risks without enough benifits.

Scott

The hygroscopic nature of candy motors has been all but eliminated....using new melting methods as well as using sorbitol results in a bone dry grain, even if left out in the open air. This opens the door to certified candy motors, as storage is not that big of an issue anymore. If one buys right, one could make a H motor for under a dollar, and a J for under 2. Add a dollar for liner, casting tubes, o-rings and machines to cut them to perfect length, and you have a $3-4 J motor. Add time, certification process expenses, motor testing, etc. a company could market a cert 2 motor that would cost $15-20 with a pretty good profit. Cert at half the cost.

Back