rocket-powered scale Me-163?

powderburner

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the cover of the new 'Fly RC' magazine?
The cover has a beautiful picture of a beautiful scale model of a Me-163, taking off under rocket power. And there does not seem to be any story at all inside this issue about this model.
The model is in basically horizontal flight, just above the ground, and climbing at a shallow angle. A scale-looking wheel dolly has dropped off the bottom. The elevators are deflected upward to pitch the model nose-up, and there is a large rocket motor firing. It appears to be a high-power reloadable motor.
Anyone know who has built this, or who is flying it? Is there any info available on what motor system he is using to power this thing?

Stones

Reaction score
Just amazes me how far a builder will go to get the "realsim" factor. Tnx for the link MM.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Missed these links in the previous thread :eek: very cool, thanks for posting them here!

George Gassaway

Reaction score
>>>>>
Has anyone seen the cover of the new 'Fly RC' magazine?
The cover has a beautiful picture of a beautiful scale model of a Me-163, taking off under rocket power. And there does not seem to be any story at all inside this issue about this model.
<<<<<

If it’s the issue I'm thinking of, it was 1-2 issues back, so those on this forum probably won’t be able to find that issue on newsstands now (Some hobby shops do tend to have older issues laying around, though). I only leafed thru it, didn’t buy it.

There was another (small) photo of it, with a brief mention, buried inside coverage of some fly-in or scale-contest, something like that.

It actually was prop-driven (I assume by a gas/glow engine) with the prop on the nose, a lot of Me-163’s have flown that way. But this one added a rocket engine for extra realism for takeoff. IIRC it was a G-something, maybe G40.

There have been a number of pure rocket powered Me-163’s in the last 10 years or so. Metman provided a link to one. And I saw one in R/C Modeler magazine in the early 1990’s. The one in the magazine used some sort of HPR motor, do not recall if it was H or I powered. One thing it featured was a balloon in the nose to hold water ballast to counteract the weight of the propellant in the tail, to maintain the right CG for control/glide. It was rigged with a plug that yanked out when it started to roll, letting the water flow out as the engine burned. I used something similar to that with my X-1 in 1997 and Orbital SkyDart “SkyBooster “ this year, except I used a rigid tank and gravity-flow rather than a balloon.

- George Gassaway

powderburner

Reaction score
That sure did look like one extremely sweet model. I would have loved to see it fly, especially with rocket power.
I guess it makes a lot of sense to put a prop in the nose, as the rocket alone would make for some pretty short flights.
George, that is quite clever to use some expendable water ballast to trim the motor burn.

Fore Check

Reaction score
In the first link that Met Man provided, there is a a video of the flight sequence that all of those pics came from. At the end of the video, just as burnout ends and the plane starts to level off, someone nearby says, "He popped the balloon!" and then the person holding the camera says, "He popped the water balloon!"

Cool video!

Here's a direct link to the video:

https://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163/images/rc078.wmv