Rocket pole barn built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Rocketcamper123

A Maverick in all sense of the word
Reaction score
I got my 20x30 pole barn shop built this week. Concrete was poured today. Gonna be a rocket building complex/shop/man cave. Looking forward to filling her up with rockets and tools. Gonna have electricity, spray foam, and HVAC. Plus, my favorite part it will have a wood stove for nostalgia.

Attachments

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
NICE !!!! I finished a room in my basement for my rocket room. I have to share it with my wife and her sewing stuff, so yours is WAY better !!!!!

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
NICE !!!! I finished a room in my basement for my rocket room. I have to share it with my wife and her sewing stuff, so yours is WAY better !!!!!
Yes it maybe mine but the wife is already talking about staining the porch posts and hanging a few hanging baskets. Plus, she wants to put in some flower beds around the building. I told her that is fine and make it look more inviting then just a naked steel building

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
Very nice!
Closed cell spray foam? I love that stuff, but it is so dang expensive.
That's the plan. Open cell anyway. I got a few bids over the phone months ago. Those were around 2500-3000 for open. Maybe different price when they come and see in person estimate. Love all closed but double the price.

Okee

Reaction score
That is much less than I would expect, even for partially open cell. I bought a few kits and did it myself and it was within spitting distance of $2 a board foot. I know someone with the real equipment can get the materials for less, but you are paying for their overhead and labor too.

Anyway - it is a dream place IMHO. I am extremely jealous.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Yes it maybe mine but the wife is already talking about staining the porch posts and hanging a few hanging baskets. Plus, she wants to put in some flower beds around the building. I told her that is fine and make it look more inviting then just a naked steel building
Once she gets a single "foot in the door" it wont be yours anymore, dont allow any storage in it or all kinds of crap will start appearing just inside the door every time you turn around....

UhClem

Reaction score
For some reason when I read "rocket pole barn" I pictured a pole barn where the creosote soaked poles were replaced with spent motor casings. Nike or some such.

As for the foam, I don't know if you are going to cover it with anything but you should. I remember reading an article or two at Monolithic Domes about how supposedly fire resistant foam burned really well in an enclosed space where its insulating ability resulted in very high temperatures.

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
For some reason when I read "rocket pole barn" I pictured a pole barn where the creosote soaked poles were replaced with spent motor casings. Nike or some such.

As for the foam, I don't know if you are going to cover it with anything but you should. I remember reading an article or two at Monolithic Domes about how supposedly fire resistant foam burned really well in an enclosed space where its insulating ability resulted in very high temperatures.
Once the walls are studded I will spray foam then cover walls with 7/16th OSB sheeting.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Once the walls are studded I will spray foam then cover walls with 7/16th OSB sheeting.
Unless you have need of OSB all the way up, I just use it up to 8' that way I have something to put screws into, anything over 8' gets drywall since its less expensive and fire resistant. Drywall is also white so it helps brighten up the interior without having to paint the OSB.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Geez, I wish I hadn't come across this thread.
Now I want one too.
With sections for a painting booth, power tools, a big section for rocket storage.
Assembly desk/bench with big screen TV and A/C. Lots of shelving.
I would probably be in there 24 16/7.
Funny thing is, I was at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago and they were closing out a giant "barn wall" clock.
Face diameter of about 20". Big discount so I got one.
The rocket gods must be telling me something.
Now I gotta build me a barn to hang it in. 😄

0702201318[1].jpg

FredA

Reaction score
Drool-worthy little shop -- seen just today, the same day the city sends me a notice that says my lot is now in a conservation protected zone and no further development will be permitted.
No Rocket-shed, no She-shed, no Tree-house.

Rocketcamper123

Reaction score
my first interior stud wall bay is up. This is where electrical panel will go this next week. i will do this to all the walls between the posts. all the voids behind the studs will be spray foam.

Attachments