Rocket picture time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobi65

Reaction score
Alright, just got the photos back from Osco. :)

First up, we have the Estes Monarch. Paint job is with Testors Ruby Metalflake.

Next, the Estes Quark. Note that I've abandoned the "stock" light blue / white paintjob in favor of the "at least a glimmer of hope of finding it again" blaze orange.

A clone of the old Centuri X-24 "Bug". The nosecone is the same ruby metalflake as the Monarch above, because I didn't have any true red spray paint handy.

Next, an Estes Baby Bertha. I used some flame decals (originally meant for R/C cars) instead of the boring little decal they give you in the kit.

And, a new Estes Bandito. I'm writing a review on this one for EMRR, and wanted to get her first flight in on Friday, but snapped off the bottom of the plastic engine mount as I was inserting the motor. :(

Finally, a Semroc Micron. This is a very nice little kit, the parts are awesome quality. The paint job is Testors Chrome, with Testors Purple Metalflake faded on the top.

Originally posted by kenobi65
And, a new Estes Bandito. I'm writing a review on this one for EMRR, and wanted to get her first flight in on Friday, but snapped off the bottom of the plastic engine mount as I was inserting the motor. :(

I built and launched my Bandito this past Sunday.

I was pretty disappointed, actually.

The motor mount assembly is a neat idea, with the snap tabs for the TTW fins and all - but I couldn't get it inserted fully in the body tube (probably about 1/8" from being all the way in.) I had to lengthen the fin slots on the aft end just a tad to get my fins in.

It's a good thing they provide an extra motor retention cap - it seems pretty flimsy.

First flight on an A3-4T was a bit squirrely, although relatively straight. I installed a 36" length of 1/8 flat elastic shock cord and a streamer for recovery. After ejection, the schock cord got tangled around the fins and it looked really strange and precarious on the way down. On impact, one of the fins stabbed into the ground and the rocket looked awful funny sitting there. Luckily, no real harm done upon inspection.

The decal was difficult to align properly, and took off some of the black coating when I had to re-align it.

Basically, my review is that it flies barely adequately and everything about it denotes CHEEEEEP. Seems like a rocket you'd pick up in the bargain rack at a Carnival Supply shop or at the Dollar General store.

Originally posted by Fore Check
The motor mount assembly is a neat idea, with the snap tabs for the TTW fins and all - but I couldn't get it inserted fully in the body tube (probably about 1/8" from being all the way in.) I had to lengthen the fin slots on the aft end just a tad to get my fins in.

It's a good thing they provide an extra motor retention cap - it seems pretty flimsy.

I had those same problems. I also had to sand the bejeezus out of the motor mount to get it to fit within the body tube, and I think I accidentally sanded off some of the "thread" at the bottom of the mount (that the motor retention cap screws onto) -- that cap fits *very* loosely, even with a motor in the mount.

I'll probably just chuck that whole assembly and go with a friction fit, just so I can fly the bloody beast.

Originally posted by kenobi65
I had those same problems. I also had to sand the bejeezus out of the motor mount to get it to fit within the body tube, and I think I accidentally sanded off some of the "thread" at the bottom of the mount (that the motor retention cap screws onto) -- that cap fits *very* loosely, even with a motor in the mount.

I'll probably just chuck that whole assembly and go with a friction fit, just so I can fly the bloody beast.

That reminds me - my motor retention cap also was a very loose, "floppy" fit. BUT, the motor was a very *tight* fit in the mount. I had to tap and press to get the motor in far enough to even install the cap (which means I probably didn't need the cap anyway.) Then I had to tap the motor out using a dowel (actually I used the 1/4" aluminum launch rod I had sitting there.)

I didn't bother sanding the motor mount assembly prior to installation - I was in a hurry. I used CA and had the entire rocket built in about 20 minutes. If I'd have taken the time to dry fit the motor mount first, I may have done so.

However, it doesn't seem too much to ask that the parts don't require sanding to fit - particularly on a rocket designed to be so quick and easy to put together. I don't imagine that most of the young rocketeers that the thing is marketed to will dry fit and then sand (if necessary) the plastic motor mount assembly either.

Originally posted by Fore Check
I didn't bother sanding the motor mount assembly prior to installation - I was in a hurry. I used CA and had the entire rocket built in about 20 minutes. If I'd have taken the time to dry fit the motor mount first, I may have done so.

However, it doesn't seem too much to ask that the parts don't require sanding to fit - particularly on a rocket designed to be so quick and easy to put together. I don't imagine that most of the young rocketeers that the thing is marketed to will dry fit and then sand (if necessary) the plastic motor mount assembly either.

I had no choice but to sand the motor mount -- it was *way* too wide for the body tube.

And, I agree entirely -- the kit is way too fiddly for a beginner kit. If the parts fit well, it'd be a different story -- but they don't.

my favorite is the Micron - great paint job!! Followed by Baby Bertha, then the Monarch. thanks for the pix :)

That Micron looks sweet ! I think ill have to buy one of those , what size motors does it take ?
-Karl

Originally posted by Karl
That Micron looks sweet ! I think ill have to buy one of those , what size motors does it take ?
-Karl

18mm. It's one of the smallest 18mm kits I've ever built; it's a minimum-diameter body tube, and only about 9" in length. I sent it up last Friday on an A8-3, and it flew very nicely, though the delay was a bit too short. Recommended motors are A8-5, B6-6, C6-7.

Back