Rocket Pad Shooting Star - Preview

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
A full review will be posted to EMRR in just a few days:

This is my second Rocket Pad kit.

The Shooting Star is a BT60 bases rocket that uses the Big Bertha nose cone and 6 fins. Three lower and three upper fins. It has nice looks.

For thrust, it uses twin-18mm, nozel-charged, BP-clay tops motors. This set up is easily exchangeable to obtain higher thrust or more power motors from A8 to C6's.

The parts quality was good with precut basswood fins, laser cut plywood centering rings, and an ASP Mylar parachute. There are large, easy to work with, water-transfer decals as well.

Instructions... well, I have the old version (so I hear) and they have many typos... but they are adequate.

I have 3 flights on the rocket and all were successful. The rocket is stable but it does large spirals upward (the full review coming on EMRR will have an animated picture showing this). On the 3rd flight a couple shroud lines tore off the mylar parachute. No rocket damage.

I like the kit for looks and cluster and would recommend it.

rp_shooting_star02.jpg

Hi everyone! Nick got this kit & another one I believe, at the time I was in the middle of buying the company from the original owner Dave. I had started before I fully got the company to re-do all the kit instructions(spell check & re-edit) but I guess this is one I did not get to at the time. ALL Rocketpad kits are now with new instructions & I added more pictures to help in critical areas of assembly!
Thanks!
hobbyman
[email protected]

I forgot to metion that I think Nick made a mistake; the SHOOTING STAR kit never came with basswood fins, they come with pre-cut balsa fins. I guess he meant to say balsa but wrote basswood. I asked the origine owner Dave & he said to me he never used basswood in this kit!
Just wanted to clear that up!

By the way, we use MIDWEST brand balsa & basswood in our kits. This brand is a high quality wood & is worth the small added cost . It has never come warped! I don't go for that "put-it-under-a-book" deal! I won't put a kit together with warped balsa!
Thanks!
hobbyman

Originally posted by Hobbyman
I forgot to metion that I think Nick made a mistake; the SHOOTING STAR kit never came with basswood fins, they come with pre-cut balsa fins. I guess he meant to say balsa but wrote basswood. I asked the origine owner Dave & he said to me he never used basswood in this kit!
Just wanted to clear that up!

By the way, we use MIDWEST brand balsa & basswood in our kits. This brand is a high quality wood & is worth the small added cost . It has never come warped! I don't go for that "put-it-under-a-book" deal! I won't put a kit together with warped balsa!
Thanks!
hobbyman

I just looked back at my notes and indeed, they were balsa.

I will say this... this was the best quality balsa I have had with a kit because it took no time to fill the grains (reminding me of working with basswood).

Sorry for the slight mistake.

NOW ONLINE of EMRR!

Check out my animated gif's.

Nick

Back