Rocket Ornaments

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
For the last couple of years, I have been using my Hobby Lobby 1/2 sales to pick-up a bunch of those Small Estes Quarks and similar size kits. I would build a bunch of these, paint them, make fake flames from mylar, put a piece of ribbon through the launch lug, and pass them out as Christmas tree ornaments.

Very easy to do. If you do decide to try this, make sure you personalize them and put the year on them, because the recipient will always remember the friend he got that cool ornament from. When we get our tree out, I will find the couple we have and post pics.

Anyone else make Rocket themed Christmas ornaments??

I never thought of making rocket ornaments. someone gave me a nasa ornament several years ago it's a simple glass ball with the space shuttle inside. the kids always make me put it on the tree with the angel. I wonder what my wife would say to a Quark in the tree or maybe my Tumble weed better yet the Farscape poking through the needles might get her going. Yeah thats the ticket. :D :kill:

IIRC, Sandman has a pic of a tree he decorated. I did a search but I couldn't find it.
Hmmm...gives me an idea.

Stones,

I found it!

This was from last year and it gives me some place to put my Micro Maxx model.

Maybe get one of those Micro Maxx value sets. Lots of ornaments in there!

Other possibilities, Flis Tumble Weed, Astron Scout, Astron Birdie.

Enjoy!

Ah Ha Haaa! now that is funny Sandman! Humm I'm thinkin most of the minimum dia Micro's would make perfect orniments:D

but johnnierkt I alway thought we were supposed to make rockets out of the ornaments? maybe like this HO HO HO...yea!

John,

I just figured it was better than hiding them in a shoebox!:D

Now you guys know what to do with the crappy plastic MicroMaxx models like the Saturn V and shuttle that don't fly so well!:)

The 1/200 Mercury Redstone and the Mercury Atlas from the old AMT kit would work pretty good as ornaments too!

Maybe throw in some Corgi or Matchbox stuff too.

The Astron Mark makes a nice "star" for the top!

A real hardcore rocketeer would use a large 6' rocket as a trunk and would attach branches (real or artificial per personal preference). Then add the 'ornaments'.

Aerocon used to have a paper santa on a paper rocket for download from their web site at xmas. I made a few up a couple years ago. Need to make some more because they're getting a bit tatty now!

A couple days ago, Brian Moulton (of the birdhouse rocket infamy) launched a large lawn-ornament candle with a 38mm mount inside. Total length was around 30". I didn't get any pics of it, but maybe someone else out at Fiesta Island did.

WW

purposly putting rockets in trees

you guys are inhumane. :p

personally, id rather find rockets under the tree then on it :D

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Aerocon used to have a paper santa on a paper rocket for download from their web site at xmas. I made a few up a couple years ago. Need to make some more because they're getting a bit tatty now!

Do you have the link? Or the file, even? Sounds good.

Pete

It's a Delta 7 Studios design, but I can't find it on their web site. I'd rather not post it, as it's someone else's copyright.

Back