Rocket names that beg for problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago, another TARC team in the area had a rocket they named "Inferno". Sure enough, they missed a step in assembly of the reload and had a CATO with fire coming out both ends. AKA a "flaming pinwheel of death".

Brought rocket to fly. Forgot to bring the right size z-clip so I had to fashion a substitute. Parachute was on another rocket---at home---as was the Nomex chute protector. Found a chute but too large, had to cut a big hole. Dug around and finally found the container of dog barf.

Rocket's name: Poor Planning.

Found a chute but too large, had to cut a big hole.
No need to ruin a chute for that reason. Just reef the lines, masking tape forcing the lines to be short enough that the chute does not inflate to the normal diameter. Then the masking tape can be removed later and the chute just like it was before.

Forgot on a previous one. When my younger child started out in rocketry, she decided to name her rockets after Star Trek ships, preferably ones that met terrible fates.

#1 was a TLP cluster kit (AMRAAM?) named Constellation (Ref TOS, Doomsday Machine). First flight, one of the motors failed to light and destruction rapidly ensued.

#2 was a scratch build named the Kobayashi Maru. It was designed based on the usual fin sizing rules of thumb, and I think looked fine in OR but something went haywire* and it was unstable off the pad. It skywrote beautifully about 100 feet up, then fell in a flat spin, popping the ejection charge directly at the crowd at eye level. Definitely a memorable flight.

After that, rockets were named after starships that did not meet terrible fates.

* It had a high L-D ratio, so it might have fallen afoul of long skinny rockets needing more calibers of stability

Last edited:
Ramming Speed
Zipper Ripper
Rapid Deconstructor (props to Elon Musk)
Dekitter
Core Borer (with a nose cone with threads)
Oops I Did It Again
Dang Pranger

Many years ago…I think back in the late 80s, Estes made a very small rocket and named it “Zipper”. I believed they renamed it something else in their catalog a year or two later when I was doing a search for it. I actually built one….it had the inverted swept fins like the Dasher and others.
IMG_1645.jpg

Suggested in a similar thread some time back. Agrajag. If your name happens to be Arthur, probably best to avoid using that name for a rocket.

I call this one "Thud"
1638926613955.png

Then there's my avatar, "The Flying Basket of Death and Destruction"

One year my USLI team named their sub-scale rocket, "This Will Definitely Work This Time."

Back