Rocket motors stink

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
APCP motors smell good before you fire them. It's the HTPB that you smell. They stink of burning phenolic or inerts afterwards. BP motors don't smell until fired, then they smell good. Just like a pot head loves the smell of marijuana, the better the quality, the better the smell. It's an acquired like :)
Some crazy Research guys use PBAN that has to be cured in an oven. One guy I knew had a used electric oven in his shop for that purpose. Would set it on low and prop the door open. Used a thermometer to keep the grain curing to I believe 140 degrees F . I might be wrong on the temp though and feel free to correct me. Never did PBAN myself, only HTPB. Some of the other reagents used in mixing HTPB give off other smells that is part of the "cachet".
While mixing HTPB, ammonia is out gassed and easily smelled during the mixing process when the AP and fixin's are mixed in.
Some fliers who did/do PBAN used a cooler with a light bulb to get to the 140 degree F curing the grains with the lid propped open by various means to keep the curing temp at 140 degrees F. Low tech way to do it but worked.
I was told that PBAN motors have a "kick" to them and saw a few that were advertised as that at a research launch. They did have a "big boost" off the pad with the motors I witnessed and advertised as PBAN.
Never worked with it myself because of the curing step though it's not that tough to do. I think I have a formula for a PBAN motor stored downstairs actually if I could find it.

Some crazy Research guys use PBAN that has to be cured in an oven. One guy I knew had a used electric oven in his shop for that purpose. Would set it on low and prop the door open. Used a thermometer to keep the grain curing to I believe 140 degrees F .

You can buy external PID controllers that will regulate the temperature of a small electric oven, like a toaster oven, by regulating the AC input to them.

You can buy external PID controllers that will regulate the temperature of a small electric oven, like a toaster oven, by regulating the AC input to them.
That's after my prime time. I still have HTPB and curative out in the garage along with other "stuff". PBAN is something that mixers beyond me did/do.

Some crazy Research guys use PBAN that has to be cured in an oven. One guy I knew had a used electric oven in his shop for that purpose. Would set it on low and prop the door open. Used a thermometer to keep the grain curing to I believe 140 degrees F . I might be wrong on the temp though and feel free to correct me. Never did PBAN myself, only HTPB. Some of the other reagents used in mixing HTPB give off other smells that is part of the "cachet".
While mixing HTPB, ammonia is out gassed and easily smelled during the mixing process when the AP and fixin's are mixed in.
Some fliers who did/do PBAN used a cooler with a light bulb to get to the 140 degree F curing the grains with the lid propped open by various means to keep the curing temp at 140 degrees F. Low tech way to do it but worked.
I was told that PBAN motors have a "kick" to them and saw a few that were advertised as that at a research launch. They did have a "big boost" off the pad with the motors I witnessed and advertised as PBAN.
Never worked with it myself because of the curing step though it's not that tough to do. I think I have a formula for a PBAN motor stored downstairs actually if I could find it.
If you want the down-low on PBAN, talk to @prfesser . He literally wrote the book on PBAN for Experimental Composite Propellant.

I've got his book buried somewhere downstairs There was going to be a new edition but he never got around to it I'm told.
It took a while, but he finally did.;) Just in time for LDRS in 2021.

Advances in printing and publishing have resulted in a much prettier book. Lots of color photos and sharp graphics. Step-by-step illustrated instructions.

Back