rocket motor suggestions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPEstes1103

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Been a while since I posted something.
I have a modified Estes nova payloader vidroc that I have flown in the past on c6-3 rocket motors and I want to fly higher.
Included is a photo of the rocket for reference. Pardon the gaudy paint scheme.
My question is... what 18mm motor should I use?
Thanks in advance.

1501789151619891929769.jpg

i will think about the d10-5 motors. How about the klima D9-5?
Thanks for the suggestion, Danh.

One thing I thought of, if you are up for some mods and have some spare BT-50 tubing and balsa sheet. Make a new fin can without the motor mount so you can use 24mm C11 and D12 motors. Cut the old fin can about 2 inches or so forward of the fin leading edge and attach the new one with a coupler. You can still fly 18mm motors with an adapter.

Hi everyone.
Been a while since I posted something.
I have a modified Estes nova payloader vidroc that I have flown in the past on c6-3 rocket motors and I want to fly higher.
Included is a photo of the rocket for reference. Pardon the gaudy paint scheme.
My question is... what 18mm motor should I use?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 324910

Go to www.thrustcurve.org It will help with everything you want to know. Look at "Motor Guide" on the first page.

Samb, I looked at Sierra fox hobbies.
Even though they are not available in the USA, Sierra fox hobbies has exported klima rocket motors to USA with no problem.

Even though they are not available in the USA, Sierra fox hobbies has exported klima rocket motors to USA with no problem.

The reason why they are exported without problems is the lack of hazmat fees. Look up the post called klima motors U.S. availability--- wicked 18mm d.

News to me.

The reason why they are exported without problems is the lack of hazmat fees. Look up the post called klima motors U.S. availability--- wicked 18mm d.

Thanks, found it. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138103-Klima-motors-U-S-availability-wicked-18-mm-D

Hi Tom,

shipping is calculated automatically depending on the weight of the package. Under 1 kilo is about 22 euros for US. There are no hazmat costs because these motors doesn’t need it when shipped within Europe. We shipped some to US without hazmat and no problems of any kind, however.
You can pass the info on the Rocketry Forum, no problem for us.

Stefano Figini
www.sierrafoxhobbies.com
t. (+39)0249528289
f. (+39)0294756021

Are you the guy in the USA who received the shipment ? I have no reason to doubt sierrafoxhobbies statement but I'd sure like to find out how the delivery went. I know that years ago Quest tried to bring them over and were unsuccessful.

My suggestion is the Aerotech D10 or D21. Lots of US vendors sell them (assuming you are in the States)--e.g. buyrocketmotors.com or Apogee Components.

You're going to love them. It's amazing how much thrust can be packed into one of those little motors.

It sounds like you already know your answer. However I looked in to ordering Klima products and even though there was no hazmat charges the shipping charges to the USA were prohibitory high.

Back