Rocket Motor in Vacuum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Saw this video on you tube. Very interesting. Also the comments were interesting. Your thoughts?

[YOUTUBE]GxBRQXxBRic[/YOUTUBE]

However, the researcher did not show any thrust data. So, the question does the thrust increase in a vacuum still remains. I did a similar experiment back in 1965 using a water aspirator pump to pump down the air in a 5 gallon drum. I measured maximum thrust. I only did 2 or 3 tests. I found no increase of the Estes Series I B-motors maximum thrust. However, my one test of a Series II B-motor, which Estes no longer makes, showed an increase in thrust.

Subscribed to this, am curious to see where it goes. Other than that I'm keeping my mouth shut here and on YT since I don't have science facilities handy, and neurological disease is roughing me up today and I feel crappy and quite cranky. Which may be a large part of why I really enjoyed the video's digs at flat earthers and moon hoaxers. :cool:

This is still a cool video! (cool enough to get two threads!)

I think the best thrust data he could get out of this setup is to visually record the coil deflection then use weights or something else to find corresponding force.

Although I kind of doubt Estes nozzles operate at optimum expansion at ground level, so at a vacuum it'd be even weirder.

I'm sure his silly detractors will come up with something to say the evident thrust was some other phenomena.

Why would he think that that 18mm BP motor would have a burn-time of 8 seconds in atmosphere? His experimental result in the vacuum of about 1sec is definitely in line with normal expectations, and the vacuum had no impact on burn rate.

Why would he think that that 18mm BP motor would have a burn-time of 8 seconds in atmosphere? His experimental result in the vacuum of about 1sec is definitely in line with normal expectations, and the vacuum had no impact on burn rate.

Time flows faster in a vacuum. :tongue:

He's at it again.

Even the students said "this breaks all of the rules"

Don't read the comments if you wish to retain sanity

Well, at least I can show people this one for a) don't smear grease all over everything, and b) that's why tanks are round.

From Phoenix launches from Vandenburg can be seen. Launches at sunset, with it dark here and light there, the exhaust plume can be seen expanding unrestricted when it gets into space.

Don't read the comments if you wish to retain sanity
Looking at other videos YT is suggesting, I wonder if same statement might apply,
For instance, these 2 videos, and yes, I went and looked to see what manner of comments might be there;
and I hope what they have isn't contagious.
Less certain is whether I care whether they can be cured.

More Air Travel Lies Exposed, they have been hoaxing us from day one
223,923 views 3.2K 1.2K
Enslaved By No Media Published on Feb 7, 2018
Subscribe 22K
Air travel is a lie and all the the clues are in plain sight. No planes are carrying massive amounts of explosive liquids. We have been hoaxed out of our pants on this one.

and

JFK Assassinated For Spilling the FLAT EARTH? He knew too much!
284,343 views 2.7K 592
jeranism Published on Apr 29, 2015
Subscribe 110K
Everybody has heard the famous speech by our former President John F. Kennedy where he speaks to "Secret Societies." But listening to it again, I possibly hear a very cryptic hidden message where he may just be saying that he is a flat earther!

Well, I guess it does take all kinds ...

Back