Rocket Lesson of the Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
When you assemble an a motor for use with electronic deployment, you still need a delay grain.

Without a delay, the motor becomes a bidirectional fireworks fountain.

That is pretty close. The sad thing is it happened to the same rocket twice in one weekend. This time it is gonna take a lot more repair work.

RMRG5003.jpg poster92211698.jpg Yup, been there done that.
J-90 long burn,in my original Wildman rocket,
Without the delay it REALLY burned a looooooooooong time. The pic was cropped from Rockets mag and made into the infamous poster!

I had the delay loaded and ready on table BUT was talking to someone and grabbed a empty closure and screwed it on...lol.......not paying attention.

Same thing Chuck?

Last edited:
When you assemble an a motor for use with electronic deployment, you still need a delay grain.

Without a delay, the motor becomes a bidirectional fireworks fountain.

Is this true even if you have a plugged forward bulkhead?

I’m pretty sure I’ve flown Loki 38 mm motors with a plugged forward closure with no delay. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky....

Same can be said for CTI motors, when you forget to put the reload into the case (and just load the reload into the rocket) !!

Is this true even if you have a plugged forward bulkhead?

I’m pretty sure I’ve flown Loki 38 mm motors with a plugged forward closure with no delay. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky....

Normally no- you wouldn't need this. However without a delay grain, you run the risk of putting the igniter in too far up and having trouble lighting the motor.

Back