Rocket glider Plans?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMehalko

Reaction score
Hello all! Looking for some possible plans to build something along the lines of the Aerotech Phoenix, something in that size and aerobatic.

Anyone aware of any? Or kits that are similar?

The Aerotech Phoenix is fairly unique. Bob Parks created a beautiful, nicely tuned design that was well optimized for the companion 32mms RMS hardware.

While one could possibly modify a slope soaring glider design of similar size to a similar setup, it would be unlikely to match the performance of the Phoenix, but it would still be fun to fly.

Not much out there to compare, in terms on high performance balsa sheeted RC RGs. Kallend's Ladyhawk is a nice flying delta design that could be upscaled a bit for F, G and perhaps the new 29mm H13.

"Old School" . . .

Dave F.

estes-skydancer-plans-march-1971-american-aircraft-modeler-1600x1112.jpgestes-skydancer-march-1971-american-aircraft-modeler-1.jpgestes-skydancer-march-1971-american-aircraft-modeler-2.jpgestes-skydancer-march-1971-american-aircraft-modeler-3.jpg

Attachments

• lady_hawk_rcm-1153.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • Lady_Hawk_RCM-1153_oz6555_article.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • SKY-DANCER-RC-GLIDER.pdf
    799 KB · Views: 34
The Larry Renger Skydancer might an option, but the OP ruled it out when he had “aerobatic” in his requirements. Also, it is an RC boost glider with a pop pod and most RC rocket glider types much prefer to keep the motor casing and not chase a pod.

I built one in 1981 and have well over 100 flights on it, mostly on CHAD staged D12s. It is a very nice flyer, but it is a somewhat draggy floater and not particularly aerobatic. I changed the design from conventional ailerons to strip ailerons for more roll authority, but it still was mild in roll response. Also changed the shape of the vertical tails for cosmetic reasons as the originals were sort of boring. I never really minded chasing the streamer recovery pod, as it was usually quite close to the pad.

Still have the model, but have not flown it since about 1997 or 1998.

I never had any good pics of my Skydancer, but attached is a scan of a newspaper article from1987 when a launch of the Skydancer was featured in a Little Rock, AR newspaper that covered the SMALL Steps model airplane event. That event still takes place every year and we often fly rockets and FF and RC rocket gliders there. The Skydancer flew there many times.

I have never seen any evidence that anyone else actually built and flew a Skydancer. If anyone has any pictures or stories to share, please do post them

I had mentioned above that a Ladyhawk could likely be scaled up a bit for 29mm power and could meet his requirements.

Attachments

• 6394373A-A244-4C00-86B7-964C9742CDD2.jpeg
    6394373A-A244-4C00-86B7-964C9742CDD2.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 12
Hello all! Looking for some possible plans to build something along the lines of the Aerotech Phoenix, something in that size and aerobatic.

Anyone aware of any? Or kits that are similar?

When you say "aerobatic", I assume that you mean during glide and not doing maneuvers, while under thrust . . . Right ?

Dave F.

When you say "aerobatic", I assume that you mean during glide and not doing maneuvers, while under thrust . . . Right ?

m Dave F.

I am not precisely sure what the OP means by aerobatic, but I assume he wants something that can do what the Phoenix does based on his posting.

Aerobatic mostly in the glide, but I have rolled a number of RC RGs on purpose during boost. I have found that loops under power are usually ill advised...;) Plus, they rob too much altitude.

The AT Phoenix can do a number of things, including loops, several types of rolls, inverted flight, stall turns, split S, half Cuban 8 and more. Far more than the Skydancer could do. The Phoenix is clean enough that it holds energy well through a number of aerobatic moves.

I have only one flight on a Phoenix (someone else's) so I played nice during the boost and did a roll and loop fairly high up after burnout.

Last edited:
I am not precisely sure what the OP means by aerobatic, but I assume he wants something that can do what the Phoenix does based on his posting.

Aerobatic mostly in the glide, but I have rolled a number of RC RGs on purpose during boost. I have found that loops under power are usually ill advised...;) Plus, they rob too much altitude.

The AT Phoenix can do a number of things, including loops, several types of rolls, inverted flight, stall turns, split S, half Cuban 8 and more. Far more than the Skydancer could do. The Phoenix is clean enough that it holds energy well through a number of aerobatic moves.

I have only one flight on a Phoenix (someone else's) so I played nice during the boost and did a roll and loop fairly high up after burnout.

I was curious if he was thinking of pushing it over into level flight, while under power, on a long-burn motor.

Dave F.

Attachments

• 360207046_282733644303366_4591412137026967163_n.jpg
    360207046_282733644303366_4591412137026967163_n.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 0
I saw some people asking about plans for the Aerotech Phoenix. I'm new to rocket gliders but have 2 of the kits I'm building now and had 2 extra sets of plans I copied yesterday. I can print off a copy of the plans if anyone wants them, and the manual for building is available online with a quick google search.

This airplane is very capable of being scratch built. The foam wings could easily be cut by someone. I'm thinking about making a small version to experiment with Estes 18mm motors and micro RC gear.

If someone is very interested in building one, I may be able to create a scratch build 'kit' with plans, templates for parts, and a manual. (as long as this doesn't create issues with Aerotech) You'd have to get foam wing cores cut, and a motor tube which appears to be a simple cylinder that fits the Aerotech motor.

It may take me a bit to respond to replies or DM's on here.

William Dickey
Folsom, CA

Back