Quantcast

Rocket Glider Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

FlyBack

Reaction score
Nice to have TRF back online. With the all new and improved version... How about taking a poll on adding a ROCKET GLIDER FORUM? This could be the place to discuss everything from A-D free flight boost gliders to E-P S8 R/c rocket gliders.

Regards,

FlyBack

Fred22

Reaction score
Not a bad idea but in the meantime post them to the apropriate forum in terms of what sent it up LPR MPR et cetra. I find the gliders very interesting :)

UMRS

Reaction score
The problem with that is, next it will be the egg lofting section. Then duration. Where does it stop?

IMHO LPR MPR & HPR are pretty good standards

Fred22

Reaction score
The problem with that is, next it will be the egg lofting section. Then duration. Where does it stop?

A good point as well Mike :)

AKPilot

Reaction score
You guys are cruel, pulling on my rocket glider interests. LOL! We'll see how things go over the next few weeks.

There's already a move to combine certain threads, and I'm okay with that. Would also consider adding more, it's whatever the members want.

Maybe we could start a Poll?! LMBO!

AstronMike

Reaction score
How about taking a poll on adding a ROCKET GLIDER FORUM? This could be the place to discuss everything from A-D free flight boost gliders

Regards,

FlyBack
Well, if you *really* meant A-D then I would need yet another Rocket Powered Glider Forum for my needs....:eek:

Gillard

Reaction score
i'd like to see a glider section, but i'd also like to see a helicopter recovery section as well, it could get out of hand, your vcould get everyone to put =glider= in their thread title to help searchs - like the =scale= that used to be used. just my opinion.

AstronMike

Reaction score
I have been checking out that group for a while but not posting there as it seems very centered on RC convie types. While there is certainly good info to be gleaned from those discussions (if only on account of the luminaries posting thereto) posting about the stuff I like doing is akin to yelling FIRE FIRE at the opera house.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Personally, I would also like to see a rocket glider forum as well. Other categories are interesting, but I don't think they should warrent a separate section (ie heli, egg lofting, etc.) But if the RG forum includes RC, you are adding a whole new dimension to the mix. Or perhaps we should add an RC section instead. After all, RCRG is to free flight gliders as Mid Power is to Low Power.

Just my 2 cents. (and my first post since the return of TRF!!! ;)

FlyBack

Reaction score
Ok, Ok. How about a ROGOLLO WING PARAFOIL HELICOPTER FREE FLIGHT RADIO CONTROL DYNAMIC RE-ENTRY 1/2A THRU P GLIDER FORUM.... never mind. I get it.

Seriously, what forum would be the best fit for something like the design below (if not a ROCKET GLIDER FORUM)? The Orbiter section can be free flight or R/c (using a D5-P or an E6-RCT motor). The Carrier Vehicle can be parachute recovered or R/c (using an E9-4 or G12-RCT). I'm thinking SCRATCHBUILT.

Regards,

FlyBack

tsto2.jpg

tsto3.jpg

Last edited:

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an R/C guy but I do like the old school boost gliders so if there's room for "just one more forum", it would get my vote.

powderburner

Reaction score
Geez, they just got this thing rolling again and some of you guys are already wanting more forums?

I can see both sides of this---a competition forum might be nice, but it would also be more work for somebody. Do I see a list of volunteers?

Another approach might be what someone suggested for scale data back on TRF1, without actually creating a whole separate scale forum. If you have a thread that is about 'scale' subjects or has 'scale' data, you include the notation =scale= in the title and it makes it easier to isolate with a search. Maybe we could do the same with =competition= and accomplish 99% of having a forum without all the extra work?

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's just human nature to want to get your full money's worth on a service provided for free... ;)

JAL3

Reaction score
Ok, Ok. How about a ROGOLLO WING PARAFOIL HELICOPTER FREE FLIGHT RADIO CONTROL DYNAMIC RE-ENTRY 1/2A THRU P GLIDER FORUM.... never mind. I get it.

Seriously, what forum would be the best fit for something like the design below (if not a ROCKET GLIDER FORUM)? The Orbiter section can be free flight or R/c (using a D-5P or an E-6RC motor). The Carrier Vehicle can be parachute recovered or R/c (using an E-9P or G-12RC). I'm thinking SCRATCHBUILT.

Regards,

FlyBack

E9-P is one of those beasts I've heard of but never seen, kind of like Nessie. Are they actually out there?

E-6RC ????????????????

Please elaborate.

DANLK66

Reaction score
I have been working on an idea for a cluster mono-copter but there is not much info. I also justws started getting into gliders. I would also likie a section for gliders/copters/ and others. :D

DANLK66

Reaction score
I have been working on an idea for a cluster mono-copter but there is not much info. I also just started getting into gliders. I would like a section for gliders/copters/ and others as well. :D

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like that quote. I've got to remember it.
Glad you like it. Feel free to use it at any time.

It's also something you want to keep in mind on those days when running the asylum gets a little...um, challenging.

Microspeed

Reaction score
I would definitely support a glider forum; there's just so much about gliders that doesn't necessarily apply to traditional model rockets (major ones that come to mind are stability, [RG-specific:] what to do with the ejection charge, different building techniques/designs for the gliders, etc.). For instance, even with helicopter recovery, stabilization techniques are still roughly the same, blade deployment and storage are the 2 biggest things that separate them from standard models, and while those could potentially be covered in another forum, it doesn't seem like that topic would generate nearly as many posts as those related to glider aerodynamics, flying wings, canards, built-up vs. foam vs. balsa wings, front-engine/rear-engine stability, wing deployment techniques, RC implementation, and motor selection, among many others.

Just my thoughts.

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
UMRS wrote:

>>>>
<<<<

“Rocket Gliders” covers a wide range. The term “Rocket Glider” was invented to define a contest glider category, a type that does not drop any parts .As opposed to Boost Gliders, which are allowed to, but are not required to, drop parts.

So if there is to be a forum, make it generic and name it “Rocket Boosted Glider” forum. That makes it wide open to any type that boosts using under power, whether it is a true R/G, or drops parts (pop-pod, parasite, engine eject by design), or whatever. And that does not make it contest oriented, either. As there are quite a number of people who have been doing R/C RBG’s who are not doing NAR or FAI contest flying.

When I posted info on my Space Plane 2X and 4X last summer, it was screwy to figure out where to post the info. Since the 2X was B and C powered, and the 4X was F or G powered. Most importantly of all, the engine power was actually irrelevant to the fact those were R/C scale-ups of the original Astron Space Plane. So, IIRC, I posted info on them in the Coffee House, as it was a better fit than LPR or MPR.

>>>>
<<<<

Well, have you seen this?

http://www.nar.org/NARrcrbgsc.html

There are three rocketry safety codes. One for Model Rockets, one for HPR, and.... one for R/C RBG’s. When there is an egglofting Safety Code, then you’ll have a point. :)

Anyway, I am in favor of there being a Rocket Boosted Glider Forum. Open to anything that boosts up on rocket power and glides back (under the safety codes). Whether Free flight or R/C.

- George Gassaway

Pics below: left to right:
NARAM-38 R/C Pilots (C thru G power)
NARAM-43 R/C Pilots (C thru G power)
Space Plane 4X
Orbital SkyDart Project
X-1

BTW - there is an actual egg-lofting glider in one of those pics.....

pilots_N38.jpg

N-43-P8050022.jpg

SpacePlane4X.jpg

P7100007.jpg

X1_nsl99_41.JPG

delta22

Reaction score
I agree that it would be desireable to have a Rocket Glider Forum.

It is a very complex subject with a fair amount of interest.

Last edited:

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Another approach might be what someone suggested for scale data back on TRF1, without actually creating a whole separate scale forum. If you have a thread that is about 'scale' subjects or has 'scale' data, you include the notation =scale= in the title and it makes it easier to isolate with a search. Maybe we could do the same with =competition= and accomplish 99% of having a forum without all the extra work?
Why not make use of the new Thread Tagging feature this version of vBulletin has? See the 'Tags' section at the bottom of each thread? If every rocket glider thread was tagged with the same tag (which can be added by anyone) and the Tag Search function is used (http://www.rocketryforum.com/tags.php), it effectively creates a 'virtual' forum for any subject you like. Maybe a sticky somewhere with a list of 'official' tags and links to their 'forums' might be worth a try?

Edit: I went and tagged some threads involving Semroc kits - here's what you get when you do a tag search for it: http://www.rocketryforum.com/tags.php?tag=semroc

Just an idea, of course! ;)

Phil

Last edited:

DANLK66

Reaction score
How about a forum for "Other Rocket designs" of something to cover the rest of the rocket types. This would open things up for many interesting discussions.

Dan

Fred22

Reaction score
Why not make use of the new Thread Tagging feature this version of vBulletin has? See the 'Tags' section at the bottom of each thread? If every rocket glider thread was tagged with the same tag (which can be added by anyone) and the Tag Search function is used (http://www.rocketryforum.com/tags.php), it effectively creates a 'virtual' forum for any subject you like. Maybe a sticky somewhere with a list of 'official' tags and links to their 'forums' might be worth a try?

Edit: I went and tagged some threads involving Semroc kits - here's what you get when you do a tag search for it: http://www.rocketryforum.com/tags.php?tag=semroc

Just an idea, of course! ;)

Phil
Makes sence in a lot of ways :)
Cheers
fred

rokitflite

Reaction score
My favorite of late... A-B R/C RG. We have been flying the heck out of it:D.

3.jpg

7.jpg

rokitflite

Reaction score
Thanks Fred,
Kjohnson has flown it in a couple of competitions now to first place spots... Not super long flights, but 100% predictable and reliable with arrow straight boosts and of course no flyaways! :D

Latest posts