Rocket Finishes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Chukaru

Reaction score
Hi People,
I'm new to the rocket thing and getting ready to build my first one. It's gonna be the Jaguar (80X2.6). When I get it built I will join the NAR and then go for my L1 cert.
What I was wanting to use for the finish is a thinned gelcoat/paint mixture. I've been to some club shoots and noticed the rocket finishes don't hold up well. I was talking to a friend of mine and mentioned the abuse the rocket can take when it hits the ground. He recommended the gelcoat/paint mixture.
If anyone has experience with this please post, or any ideas. I see alot of nosecones chipped.

Thanks Chukaru (a nubee)

astrowolf67

Reaction score
Most nose chips I've experienced are from poor prepping. The plastics that nose cones are made of, don't take paint very well. What I do now, is wash the cone to remove any casting resins, then "fuzz" up the cone with sandpaper. I sand it till its fuzzy looking. Then prime and sand until smooth. The "fuzz" gives the primer something to hold on to. I still get chips every now and then when the body and nose hit during ejection.

sandman

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum...I think???

Let me see if I got this right...

Your new to rockets...

Your first rocket is going to be a Level 1.

:confused:

Why?

Just asking.

sandman

Vance in AK

Reaction score
I'm curious like Sandman why you want to jump straight to level 1. I just hate to see you miss out on the fun of low power. To each his own, & welcome!
Vance in AK.

Chukaru

Reaction score
Sorry,
But I have a friend that's about 40 yrs old and he's getting ready for his level 2 cert flight. I kind of admired the larger rockets at the show. I also did enjoy the a-d flights and the f, g flights. BUT you gotta admit......the I-L flights are awsome!!!! This is something my son and I are gonna play with, he has a couple D motor rockets he's gonna fly. I just wanted to start a little bigger is all. but thanks for posting. Chukaru

Vance in AK

Reaction score
I'm sure you & your son will have a ball together. Glad you're here.
Vance in AK.