Rocket finder .. beepers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone made an in expensive beeper that can be put in low power rockets that makes them easier to find?

I don't want to spend big bucks on a GPS module, just something simple and hopefully in expensive.

Lookup personal keychain alarms, connect one side to the shock cord and the pull pin ring to the parachute swivel or something. For $10 they can be heard a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=personal..._9485696&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_8g09ghn750_e

I was wondering if anyone made an in expensive beeper that can be put in low power rockets that makes them easier to find?

I don't want to spend big bucks on a GPS module, just something simple and hopefully in expensive.

I use the key chains also, I remove the cheep chains and rings and replace it with kevlar

I like the Pratt hobbies micro beacon. Loud enough to get the job done, can get the batteries cheap, blinking light is super nice for night launches!

Hrm put one in my 'cart' and went to check out and got a warning "This is not a secure site, you should leave this page immediately" ! ?

They’ve got a phone number posted on the site just give a ring.

Pratt Hobbies
11556 Platten Rd
Lyndonville, NY 14098
571-221-5820

I was thumbing through the latest Sport Rocketry last night and saw an ad for this company and their MiniTransBeep:
https://www.transolve.com/
Scroll down for it. It is a light sensitive beacon. They have others on their page, as well. I know nothing about the company. Just saw the ad and was reminded if this thread.

If the specs are correct, the Mini is very heavy at 2.8 oz. The Micro looks better for LPR at about 0.5 oz.

I've been threatening to get some beepers for my rockets for two years now, haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe for next year's flying season.

I had a thought.

You know those annoying 'musical' birthday cards that when you open them up they play some music.

Maybe you could tear one of those open and use the gizmo. What I don't know is if they quit after a few minutes.

I actually emailed him about the check out issue. It seems his current web host did not get his SSL certificate updated as they should have and he is looking into a new host / provider.

DSCF8160 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Screamers are super easy to make with just a few parts, especially if they are ‘always on’. This one is powered by 2x CR2030 button cells and is the best part of 15 years old.

Copper track project board from the electronics store makes wiring easier. The board can be cut to size with a Dremel cut off wheel, and unrequired tracks cut with the same tool.

<edit>

If you place the speaker downstream of a flashing LED you get a beeper, not a screamer.

</edit>

I’m sure lots of people have better and more modern designs, but these simple ones last for years.

DSCF8163 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Last edited:
I picked up a Vifly Finder 2 for drones. I used one of my 2s lipos to charge it and plan to make a simple power jumper to trigger the buzzer before launch, it has a light sensor and is supposed to stay quite at night but have a flashing blue LED, it may be quite then until apogee, just need to make a lanyard and attach to the shock cord, easy off button once found. I am looking forward to trying this out for local parks and smaller projects this winter.

61DTUE0gJRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

~John

I use the pratt microbeacon. And I tape the battery in - it's a bugger when it falls out at ejection. I've noticed that sometimes I don't get a good connection - like it's current limited - so I have to fiddle with it to get full volume.

I also picked up a 'toy' microphone with a parabolic dish, thinking that it would be easy enough to do a sweep while walking. Haven't tried it in the field yet. Has anyone else?

I've also thought of moving the whole setup into the ultrasonic. I have an ultrasonic leak detector here at work that has a could different directional attachments for its pickup. I thought it might get out of the frequency range of insect noise and into a quieter background.

Jeepers, creepers, where'd you get those beepers?:D
I have a Pratt beacon. The led light still goes on, but the beeper doesn't work any more.
Yes the battery is fresh. Looking for something more reliable. Never launched it.
Keep in mind that any technology that is "line of sight" will be thwarted if the rocket falls into tall grass.
Led/strobe lights, ultrasonic, whatever.
Don't lose a rocket with a loud beeper in a tree or power line near houses, or you will have some very irate homeowners, especially at 2 in the morning. Bad for community relations.
Laters.

Don't lose a rocket with a loud beeper in a tree or power line near houses, or you will have some very irate homeowners, especially at 2 in the morning. Bad for community relations.
The Vifly says it turns off the beeper at night, for exactly that reason. A nifty feature.

I picked up a Vifly Finder 2 for drones. I used one of my 2s lipos to charge it and plan to make a simple power jumper to trigger the buzzer before launch, ~John

John,

I found the Vifly Finder 2 on Amazon for $12.

Is this correct: it monitors the drone's ground and 5v, and when it disconnects due to the drone's battery being ejected it starts beeping? It can also be triggered by spare contact in the drone?

You mentioned adding a jumper and removing before flight, what pins would be jumped? If you could rig it to pull the jumper at chute deployment, would that work?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20191127-181234_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's supposed to be hooked up to a drone, but I plan to use the harness provided to charge it, and have a battery hooked up just before launch or final prep of the rocket as the inside of the rocket will be dark and I hope triggers the night time function, I will be attaching it to the recovery harness somewhere.

>8v to the red wire and ground to the black wire, I am using a 2s lipo to charge it, then a 1s lipo to trigger the beeper before flight.

~John

John, I'm following your lead, so keep us posted on the progress. I have ordered the Vifly and am awaiting delivery.

Back