Rocket Finder App

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdanforth

Co-Owner of BnBRockets.com
Reaction score
Just got my bluetooth for my eggfinder. Using bluetooth gps I can see the location just fine. Opening rocketfinder, and connecting to the GPS I can see it fine, but not my current location. If I shut down bluetooth gps, it switches and uses my current location. So basically I get one or the other, never both.

It has been a while since I used that app but I believe you need another app running in background. I think I had to run "GPS Bluetooth" in the background to get it to display both that of my position and that of the Eggfinder. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Are you using the GPS Rocket Locator application for Android? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frankdev.rocketlocator&hl=en

A fellow did post a link to an Android program he was working on but it was pretty rough. I still have it on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi only device but there are some buggy issues with it.
Is this the program you are referring to?

With GPS Rocket Locator, I believe one's device must have a built-in GPS for their local position. One can test that by making sure the internal GPS is an and open GPS Rocket Locator out in the open.
If the blue position dot appears, that side is working.

For the tracker/rocket position, one has to have the HC-06 paired to their device. Next make darned sure in the settings of GPS Rocket Locator that HC-06 is set as the "device". I've sat and waited many a time before I realized I forgot to check that
even though my HC-06 was paired, it wasn't "selected" properly in the "settings" of GPSRL. Now there may be a bit of delay for the rocket pushpin to come up but it will eventually be displayed.

Only bug I see in the program of any significance is the legend in the upper left corner says the same thing when one is supposed to be the distance to the rocket the the other two current altitude and Max altitude. The most important is the
top line meaning the distance to the rocket. The numerical values change but the legend is incorrect. A nuisance but the program is still useful.

The only thing that is better is a hacked Ham Radio tracking program that is too darned hard for anyone to setup who's not computer literate and a ham radio APRS operator.

Kurt

Back