rocket engines are considered "expolsives"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekicker271

Reaction score
from space.com:

"Congress defined an explosive as any chemical mixture or device whose primary or common purpose is to function by explosion. The ATF claims that the primary or common purpose of a rocket propellant (i.e. ammonium perchlorate composite propellant) is to explode. I am told that if the ATF's interpretation is true, a hobbyist's rocket motor would explode upon ignition.

i was about to get mad and then i read on:

A rocket propellant is not designed or intended to explode," Enzi wrote Feb. 3 to the Senate Majority Leader

but then they still put them on the list because:
"There are a number of propellants on our list of explosive materials. They don't necessarily explode, but they deflagrate. That would classify them to be put on our list for purposes of oversight and control on their distribution, manufacture and use," Davis said.Deflagrate means a rapid burning of a chemical with intense heat.

Many model rocket enthusiasts have e-mailed SPACE.com since a Feb. 25 story first raised concerns about the new rules to say that gasoline, for example, is not included on the list and is much more dangerous than either APCP or black powder.

Davis' response was that other federal laws specifically exempt gasoline from the same treatment that other explosives receive."

I'm not sure what motor has /has over 62.5 grams of propellant but whoever uses those motors

"As a result of the new rules adopted by the ATF, hobbyists that want to continue to handle and fly rocket motors with propellant amounts greater than 62.5 grams will be able to do so by applying for a permit, undergoing a background check, paying a $25 fee and getting fingerprinted."A rule that anyone firing a rocket larger than an Estes must get a $25 permit, undergo a background search and give tacit consent to a full-body cavity search would probably discourage a fair number of people from the sport," rocketeer Dave Klingler wrote SPACE.com.

In addition to putting regulatory constraints on their weekend fun, the high-powered rocket group is concerned that in many cases it's adults flying the bigger rockets who mentor younger students just learning about model rocketry.

"If adult participation is adversely impacted by new regulations, as I believe it will be, then we will be missing a critical element in supporting youth rocketry of all forms," said NAR president Mark Bundick. "We need adults involved in rocketry activities to show the young people interested in technology the way to go."

I dont know if I am taking this the wrong way or what but... They aren't really explosives are they?? I mean we dont want them to explode? Anywayz, if you want to read the full arctilcle it is https://www.space.com/missionlaunches/rocketry_security_030306.html Someone

PLEASE tell me if I am taking this the wrong way but i dont think it is fair that people who want to shoot over 62.5 grams of propellant have to be fingerprinted, and have a background check but o well jus thought id share[

karatekicker...

This is old news to many of us here at the forum and has been discussed heavily at other sites. What you read is true....what you may want to do is look up more info on this from the Tripoli website and NAR website as they have some of the actual documents there.

We will not discuss this here as this topic is political in nature, which goes against our policies. I will however leave this particular post up for informational reading only.

Thanks,

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back