rocket Drag race ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bxtreme

Reaction score
New to high power rocketry

keep hearing about Rocket drag races
saw one at the last launch i attended.
I am curious what it is all about though. how is a winner determined ?
do they have to be two identical rockets? does each person launch or are they launched from the same button ?
just curious
thanks for any info

Don't think of it as a contest. Drag races are done for the 'coolness' factor of seeing 2 (or more) rockets taking off.

If you are into High Power Rocketry, you must come out to MDRA. Less than a 3 hour drive from Hamilton NJ.

Last edited:
it depends on what you are drag racing for, sometimes there will be a few identical rckets and you see how they perform against each other, sometimes its just to see two or more rockets take off at once.
i'm doing a drag race on sunday of a BT60 mosquito vs a Maxi streak, they are more or less the same apart from the streak's fins are more swept back, just want to see how they fair against each other.

There's actually an NAR event called drag race.

You are paried up in brackets and you fly against someone else's rocket. They don't have to be the same model and don't have to have the same motor.

There are 3 points up for grabs in each race-
1st rocket to leave the pad
Lowest altitude
Last to touch down

The rockets are launched simultaneously and the one with the most points moves on. Most folks put it down to luck, but there are strategies- using quick igniters in BP motors, draggy lightweight models to get off the pad and keep the altitude low, big recovery devices or gliding recovery to maximize time aloft.

What you see at sport launches and HPR launches are mostly just two or more models launched at the same time because, hey like skycopp says, if launching one big rocket at a time is cool, launching more than one is cooler. :)

At some of the bigger launches, prizes usually vender gift certificates are awarded. All the rockets are the same. The nature of the contests could be for highest altitude, longest flight duration, landing closest to the pad etc.

Ok, my family did a rocket drag race to see who`s went the highest. My brother`s went the highest. His went 600 ft, mine went 400 feet, my dad`s went 500ft and my sister`s went 300ft. :eek:

And do the math of the rocket heights. Or the dark side will get you.:dark: What`s 600+500+400+300? Look for the answer on the next post. Have fun.:D

There's actually an NAR event called drag race.

You are paried up in brackets and you fly against someone else's rocket. They don't have to be the same model and don't have to have the same motor.

There are 3 points up for grabs in each race-
1st rocket to leave the pad
Lowest altitude
Last to touch down

The rockets are launched simultaneously and the one with the most points moves on. Most folks put it down to luck, but there are strategies- using quick igniters in BP motors, draggy lightweight models to get off the pad and keep the altitude low, big recovery devices or gliding recovery to maximize time aloft.

What you see at sport launches and HPR launches are mostly just two or more models launched at the same time because, hey like skycopp says, if launching one big rocket at a time is cool, launching more than one is cooler. :)

Like Kev:
I like Drag race where it's more then just who leaves the pad first. Putting another condition or two in the mix makes it a little more fun then just pushing the button and seeing who's igniter works the fastest.
Generally folks drag race like models, but sometimes folks build for the event. I recall in a very old Model Rocketeer Mag back in the 70's one fellow used a saucer with creepe streamers attached to 4 points on the disc to ensure the lowest altitude and giving a chance for a longer duration as well. As I recall he did win the heat with 2 points.
With my Scout troop in the 80's I designed a simple drag race system that allowed the individual contestant to have access to pushing the button, but discovered that it was common for the scouts to just pust the button down as the countdown started waiting for the main safety to be engaged launching both models simultaniously anyway. but it was fun letting them have the opportunity.
We've even had Saturn-V Drag races...but the National contest board chair launched at 1 rather then 0 in the countdown LOL!!!! it's still funny no matter how the system is set up.

001e-sm_Drag Race Saturn-V's Flt 114_07-08-94.jpg

Last edited:
A drag race can be declared when it looks like the performance of two or more rockets will be similar and they happen to be ready to go at the same time.
Offers to race are always accepted. The penalty for refusal is an alcoholic beverage of some kind. Not that we need an excuse.
I wish to point out that our drag racing does not lead to an increase in alcohol consumption. That would be very difficult unless a time-warp were available.

There was a terrific drag race (or was it a mass launch? I get the two confused) of FlisKits Frick 'n Fracks at last year's NARAM. It added new meaning to the term "funny car." :D

MarkII

Drag Race? :cheers:
where Crazy Jim when you need him.

Back