rocket display stands

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
AOL please keep sending me those dvs's in the mail, I need more rocket stands!

How do you turn them into rocket stands? This may be the ONLY I repeat ONLY thing AOL is good for.

CD spools are nice for 18mm rockets. Takes awhile to empty those spools though. ;)

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Glue a spent engine casing to the center of the CD. Mount the rocket on that.

oh...duh..it's so simple *slaps forhead* cool idea

humm CD's are ok but take up a lot of room, I use a lot of 2" x 2" or 3" x 3" wood or acrylic bases with 1/2" dowels or 1/2" clear or flourescent acrlyic rods or 13mm models add an old motor casing painted black of 18mm motor mounts or a 18mm inside a 24mm for D motor models. Standing straight up they take the stress off the fins. Canted they get an in-flight look, Or you can make other bases out of scraps you have laying around like the wood and dowel bases on these two Greyhawk models.

Hey
I went down to my local post office a while back and found a display with at least a 100 AOL CD's in it so I grabbed about 50-60 of those CD's I didn't have to wait for any to show up in the mail . lots of free display stands or better yet ,spool rockets:)

BAR
John

CDs have the advantage of being reflective, and therefore can provide some natural 'uplighting' to the model.

(guess who dabbles in stage lighting, in his spare time! ;) )

Darn i thought I actually came up with a good idea of turning CD spools into rocket stands! The clear plastic CD that you get in the CD spool reflects light niceley up to the rocket :p
Karl

Originally posted by Micromister
humm CD's are ok but take up a lot of room, I use a lot of 2" x 2" or 3" x 3" wood or acrylic bases with 1/2" dowels or 1/2" clear or flourescent acrlyic rods or 13mm models add an old motor casing painted black of 18mm motor mounts or a 18mm inside a 24mm for D motor models...

Hey MicroMister,

seems like there are no new ideas for me to claim... :D

Here is a photo of my variation on the display stand - I use 13mm (1/2 inch) thick MDF sanded to a disk 100mm (4 inches) in diameter. I run a Roman ogive router around the top of the disk for a fancy effect, then centre drill for a 13mm dowel with a 'spent motor casing' glued onto same to mount the rocket on.

A coat of black (or red in this case) paint and a piece of self adhesive hobby felt on the base and you have a pretty good looking display stand (IMHO :cool: )

I really like your 'polished timber' base look and the angled dowels though... Might just have to 'pinch' that idea in future...

Cheers

(Evil) Bob

Originally posted by johnnwwa
Hey
I went down to my local post office a while back and found a display with at least a 100 AOL CD's in it so I grabbed about 50-60 of those CD's I didn't have to wait for any to show up in the mail . lots of free display stands or better yet ,spool rockets:)

BAR
John

You are a good man -- look at all those potential victims you saved, too!

:D

Ive noticed with CD spools , that they do a good job at holding your BT's in position when your applying fillets . This is how I like to do them anyway, put a blob of epoxy at the top of the joint , and let it run down the fin (with the bottom masked off) , and when it drips off , the spool catches it ! Then you can just pick the epoxy of the spool nice & easy! And use it for a display stand.
-Karl

Latest posts

Back