Rocket design contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
You ever wanted one of your rocket designs to become a kit. Well here is your chance. I will be holding a contest for the best design to be turned into a numbered limited run Hi power kit (6 to 10 kits). What the winner gets is the first kit and I will include a complete recovery system (harnesses, fire blanket, deployment bag and parachute) and an aero pack retainer.

You can submit your designs starting 1/19 and will end 2/2. At the close of excepting designs, I will pick the top 5 designs. Once I have the top five picked, I will put them up to be voted on. Voting will be open for 5 days.

Post your design picture here and you can send your design file to [email protected] Make sure you put in the email what the name of the design is, along with your name and TRF name.

Rules:

1: must be your design.

2: must be a proven design that will fly.

3: design has to have a name

4: you must submit a complete design in rocsim.

5: design must be able to be built from readily available hi power parts (no custom printed parts, etc)

6: you can submit up to 3 designs but only one can be picked for the top 5.

7: you must give your first and last name as your name will be on the rocket as designer

Keep in mind that I reserve the right to alter, change and adjust the design to ensure a safe flying rocket.
This contest is U.S. based.

Last edited:
I'll go with this one, which seems to have the best chance of scaling up to 3" or 4" in some reasonable fashion.

Original is 1.6" (BT60); build thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/build-thread-blackfish.157851/
Blackfish-Beauty-1.jpg

Blackfish-Beauty-2.jpg Blackfish-Beauty-4.jpg

I have an ORK file I can send along with an exported Rocksim file that may or may not work very well. The sim file can't capture the angle-cut rings on the pods.

Last edited:
Are .ork files an acceptable alternative to Rocksim? I can export to Rocksim format, just don't have the software itself to see how the export looks.
Export it out to rocsim and send me the ork file to. I do not use open rocket.

If anyone needs their file converted, you can email me a copy. I will do it for you as a service to the community.

I will keep it close hold (between the two of us) and not share it. I will delete the PM once it is converted.

Rocksim export from OR generally works well but I wouldn't necessarily trust it to be completely accurate with complex stuff including pods.

Anyway, OR is free and runs on all platforms... I don't see why it should be a problem to use it just to load up the files and confirm that the OR and Rocksim versions match.

Rocksim export from OR generally works well but I wouldn't necessarily trust it to be completely accurate with complex stuff including pods.

Anyway, OR is free and runs on all platforms... I don't see why it should be a problem to use it just to load up the files and confirm that the OR and Rocksim versions match.
I have it on my machine, just have not had time to sit down and play with it.

A few questions:
Does the design need to have been built and flown (at any scale)?
Would you handle upscaling to 4", upscaling the motor mount, adding dual deploy features, etc.?
Can you accept fin shapes in DXF? The OR file for the design I'm thinking of is a good-enough approximation for stability purposes, but not enough to cut fins from.

A few questions:
Does the design need to have been built and flown (at any scale)?
Would you handle upscaling to 4", upscaling the motor mount, adding dual deploy features, etc.?
Can you accept fin shapes in DXF? The OR file for the design I'm thinking of is a good-enough approximation for stability purposes, but not enough to cut fins from.
It would be nice if it has been built and flown at any scale. I will do the upscaling or down scaling once it comes to that point. I can do DXF files as this is wht we recommend when sending files to have laser work done. Send me what you have and I will look it over.

Okay lets get this going. We need at least 5 entries to make this worthwhile doing.

What is possible with regard to transitions?

Also, are ring tails possible? For a 5” rocket they’d be pretty big rings.
Keep this in mind. The kit will become a 4" dia kit. So trans would be okay as long as it is 4" to 3" and 3" to 54mm. That is what I can get from LOC. These trans can also be made into boat tails. Ring tails will work but may require modification to the design to fit what tubing is available.

Submitting this one. Its an BT-60 diameter rocket, but it would be cool to see an 4" version. Its had several flights. Its called the Space-X Enforcer.

Rocksim file to be sent to you. Note that it may need rebalancing, as the design had to have some noseweight added to unexpectedly heavy balsa.

DSC02514 (2).JPG

I’ll have one in to you tomorrow for Fafnir.

9C690BD8-90B7-4355-8691-3F2497A8D56A.jpeg

6FDCF1E6-6D85-4B80-A075-A3D7160D2F1E.jpeg

Attachments

• D1BD4029-1BA3-4FE6-A893-B2B80BDA6F06.jpeg
    D1BD4029-1BA3-4FE6-A893-B2B80BDA6F06.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If you are on Facebook, you might try advertising your contest on a rocketry group or several. Like Model Rocket Fanatics?

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need to bow out. The CAD fin template for Fafnir has been lost to the mists of time. The only thing I have is the OR file, which is really choppy and loses the style of the original:

1674577707388.png

Darn it! Sorry but I never knew this thread existed until today. Not sure why it never came across my radar.

Oh well.

I was glum today doing a glummy job i.e. cleaning hundreds of bad spam from my email box when I noticed a good email that I am always happy to see i.e. the rocketry forum. I skimmed over the bit about the contest and I kinda' of waxed philosophical. Well, the way I see it is this; the contest may have floundered, but the designers, builders, and we who viewed their creations won! I came to that conclusion because the act of designing, creating, and then bringing an object (that never before existed) into existence is a win for everyone!

Back