Rocket Delivery Date

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I weird in getting super pumped the day a rocket is being delivered? Today I take delivery of the legend, Big Bertha.
Count yourself lucky you're not into model railroading.
What with the: Pre-announcement, announcements that announce the announcements for new product announcements?
Then there's the endless delays in the product's actual delivery and that assumes it ever gets delivered at all.

Count yourself lucky you're not into model railroading.
What with the: Pre-announcement, announcements that announce the announcements for new product announcements?
Then there's the endless delays in the product's actual delivery and that assumes it ever gets delivered at all.
Heck, I am still waiting for my 2022 Estes catalog! Not that patiently.

So ya know, unless you're flying at an airport with all that concrete or apply a really heavy paint job...a 15" nylon chute will work nicely.

So ya know, unless you're flying at an airport with all that concrete or apply a really heavy paint job...a 15" nylon chute will work nicely.
I was going to ask that, actually. So my 15 nylon chute will be a good choice for Big Bertha?

The 18" chute it comes with is I believe a holdover from its day as the astron ranger what with a big payload.

A bit of interesting trivia about the Big Bertha... It is the longest continuously in production kit in the history of model rocketry! Followed closely by the Astron Alpha. The Big Bertha first appeared in the 1966 Estes catalog and has appeared in every catalog since then. The Alpha debuted in the 1967 catalog one year after the Big Bertha and has also been available, uninterrupted, ever since.

The only other rocket that is close to those 2 in continuous availability is the Alpha III which first appeared in 1971 and has never been discontinued.

Last edited:
Am I weird in getting super pumped the day a rocket is being delivered? Today I take delivery of the legend, Big Bertha.

I also get excited. We are so spoiled today with all the electronic tracking of packages. Amazon even lets you follow the truck with your package on it once it's in your area! On the expected delivery day, I'm always checking the tracking multiple times (as if that will help it get delivered any sooner).

I remember being a kid and having to physically mail a check or money order (yes, in an envelope with a stamp and paper order form), then wait a couple weeks for your order to arrive. It would just suddenly show up one day... man those were some of the longest waits. Especially given how slow time seemed to pass as a kid. It sure was awesome when it finally arrived.

I also get excited. We are so spoiled today with all the electronic tracking of packages. Amazon even lets you follow the truck with your package on it once it's in your area! On the expected delivery day, I'm always checking the tracking multiple times (as if that will help it get delivered any sooner).

I remember being a kid and having to physically mail a check or money order (yes, in an envelope with a stamp and paper order form), then wait a couple weeks for your order to arrive. It would just suddenly show up one day... man those were some of the longest waits. Especially given how slow time seemed to pass as a kid. It sure was awesome when it finally arrived.
We would watch for the mail truck every morning. And we would sarcastically refer to him as "Granny" when he wasn't coming fast enough, or a package wasn't arriving on time.

A bit of interesting trivia about the Big Bertha... It is longest continuously in production kit in the history of model rocketry! Followed closely by the Astron Alpha. The Big Bertha first appeared in the 1966 Estes catalog and has appeared in every catalog since then. The Alpha debuted in the 1967 catalog one year after the Big Bertha and has also been available, uninterrupted, ever since.

The only other rocket that is close to those 2 in continuous availability is the Alpha III which first appeared in 1971 and has never been discontinued.
I just got a 1972 and 73 catalog. I also have the 1969 and 1970 catalogs. By 72, you had the Damon era, they were charging a quarter for catalogs, and Big Bertha was identified as the Astron Big Bertha!

15" is fine. I usually cut at least 1/3rd out of the center of the OEM cute. A nice poofy 12" would be OK. IIRC, the Apogee 12" would be OK. My 12" chutes have a massive difference in drag between brands. The lesser ones might not be enough.

I seal the trailing edge of my fins with CA glue. And my fillets are epoxy. So I like, such a light rocket, coming down fast.

The Bertha is one of my favorites as well. I usually build them with just 3 fins, and omit the motor hook..

Last edited:
That which you describe( three fins) isn't a Bertha,,. But a big Betty. Please don't confuse the two :).

A bit of interesting trivia about the Big Bertha... It is the longest continuously in production kit in the history of model rocketry! Followed closely by the Astron Alpha. The Big Bertha first appeared in the 1966 Estes catalog and has appeared in every catalog since then. The Alpha debuted in the 1967 catalog one year after the Big Bertha and has also been available, uninterrupted, ever since.

And I've never built one (if I don't count the Super Big Bertha). :oops:

Back