"Rocket" defined

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take some exception to this comment, “no support from the NAR”. I have been a volunteer on the NAR’s Section Activities Committee for over 15 years and have been the chairman for the last six (nearly). For the last several years, I’ve been submitting a Section News article in the monthly eRocketeer and at least twice a year, the following sentence (or some form of it) has been included:

“Could you use some help dealing with a local bureaucracy to be able to launch your rockets?”

As a matter of fact, it was just in the May issue. There have been some people who have taken me up on my offer and requested help. I have reviewed local ordinances/codes, written letters of support, and even spoken with local government representatives. All because I was asked. It’s not required of me. I’m a volunteer and I’m not being paid for it. It’s my choice to help. When I do, I still make it clear that while I will do my best to help, it still requires “boots on the ground” locally.

I’m not sure who you’ve been asking at the NAR but it hasn’t been me…and I am typically forwarded questions along these lines. If you want help with this, reach out to me at sections at nar dot org. As mentioned, you’ll still need to be the boots on the ground but I will support you any way that I can.

Also, as far as your statement, “We pay them a lot of $” …I challenge you to show me any organization out there that you can join for $70 and get 5 million insurance coverage…all for a hobby. You don’t even get that much with the AMA. Also, look at the NAR’s annual budget, you’ll see that none of it is spent lobbying anyone within the government. We’re not allowed to.

Again, if you want help, I’ll do what I can.

Thanks,
Chuck Neff
Section Activities Chairman
National Association of Rocketry (NAR)
Thank you for your response, Chuck. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. You have always been a great help to me and I appreciate the superb "above and beyond" job you have done. Please keep up the great work. A club member brought it up and I am revisting this issue that I first brought up more than 13 years ago. I talked to someone else back then. Apparently things have changed a bit since then. My sincere apologies; sorry to have offended you.

Last edited:
First off, I'm guilty of not searching the NAR website, as this might already be there....

Seems it could be the most time-efficient if NAR could put together a comprehensive packet that local members could present to the local governments, together with suggestions of who in the government it would be most effective to approach. Bureaucrats love quantity over quality, so the more info, the better. NFPA, liability insurance, safety records, manufacturer compliance/testing of motors, examples of other state and/or local laws, NAR (and Tripoli) launch safety guidelines, etc., etc. I don't think most local government officials realize that all this has been thought through over the last several decades. Such a packet could be a one and done, so it doesn't take up Chuck Neff's time to deal with each situation individually.

Hans.

Edit: PS. Also wouldn't hurt to mention Cub Scouts and the junior Civil Air Patrol have student rocketry programs, not "fireworks" programs....

Last edited:
@Skywriter ,
That was sure great news from Chuck Neff. He has helped me over the years with tests and such. I didn’t realize the NAR had the resources necessary to help with local governments and AHJs. I hope you immediately contacted him. Please let us know how it goes.
I am a bit embarassed and very grateful that we have Chuck up there.

I'm up in Lane County and it's the same deal with the fireworks. I thought it was a state wide ban but maybe it's just the lower half of the state? Seems pretty silly either way
Back in 2008, Gardnerville Radio Shack used to sell Estes Rockets. I couple of years later the rockets were taken off the shelf. I asked the manager "why"? He said that the fire marshall made a personal appearance and cited the public works code that prohibited the use, sale, and, yes, even STORAGE of rockets such as the Estes Rockets he was selling. Accordingly, he took them off the shelf immediately. Odd, because I checked the Walmart Store which I think was in Douglas county (or was it Carson City) and they were still selling Estes Rockets.

Thank you for your response, Chuck. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. You have always been a great help to me and I appreciate the superb "above and beyond" job you have done. Please keep up the great work. A club member brought it up and I am revisting this issue that I first brought up more than 13 years ago. I talked to someone else back then. Apparently things have changed a bit since then. My sincere apologies; sorry to have offended you.
Well, you caught me after a long day! :) Until re-reading it now, I didn’t realize how harsh it came across so I apologize for that. I’m pretty passionate about this hobby as well as the NAR organization (maybe a little too passionate?) so it probably is fairly easy to ruffle my feathers! I’m not sure how much things have changed, I just know that I will do whatever I can to help someone if I can. Reach out to me if you need anything.

That was sure great news from Chuck Neff. He has helped me over the years with tests and such. I didn’t realize the NAR had the resources necessary to help with local governments and AHJs. I hope you immediately contacted him. Please let us know how it goes.
Most people don’t know anything about the hobby, much less the NAR (or Tripoli). I have spoken to several City/County representatives, Parks Managers, and other officials as well as landowners on behalf of Sections looking for a place to launch. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. One thing’s for sure, I definitely can’t help if I’m not asked!

First off, I'm guilty of not searching the NAR website, as this might already be there....

Seems it could be the most time-efficient if NAR could put together a comprehensive packet that local members could present to the local governments, together with suggestions of who in the government it would be most effective to approach. Bureaucrats love quantity over quality, so the more info, the better. NFPA, liability insurance, safety records, manufacturer compliance/testing of motors, examples of other state and/or local laws, NAR (and Tripoli) launch safety guidelines, etc., etc. I don't think most local government officials realize that all this has been thought through over the last several decades. Such a packet could be a one and done, so it doesn't take up Chuck Neff's time to deal with each situation individually.

Hans.

Edit: PS. Also wouldn't hurt to mention Cub Scouts and the junior Civil Air Patrol have student rocketry programs, not "fireworks" programs....
There is some of this information on the NAR website (https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/launch-sites/). We started to revise the Landowner Packet a few years ago but soon discovered that there was no real “one size fits all” format. I also like to be hands on and involved if I can help. For me, to many things have become automated and impersonal. If I have the time, I’ll help. If I don’t, it may just take me longer to get to it.

Excellent point about mentioning Scouts and CAP. Letting people know about the educational side to our hobby always tends to open their ears a little more!

Excellent point about mentioning Scouts and CAP. Letting people know about the educational side to our hobby always tends to open their ears a little more!

And the number of school programs is larger than ever. If you have statistics on those (how many of those kids are going on to STEM college programs/careers?) it may look like the regulations could be keeping them behind the times in education. Even better if you can gain the interest of a STEM teacher or two to stand with you.

Latest posts

Back