Rocket Contest Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I've had this idea for a rocketry contest for a while now. It would be the ultimate test of modeller and rocket. Contestants would have one day or one weekend to fly a rocket enough times to accumulate an altitude of 50 miles (where space begins). The first team to reach the goal would win. A big, high-flying rocket might not have an advantage. High performance rockets usually take longer to prep and recover. A small model could win by having a short turnaround time. But many more flights, and motors would be required. I guess the winner could get a prize or just leave with the satisfaction of flying a rocket into space...sort of. What do you think? If you guys like it I could pitch it to the ROC Board and maybe we can do it at a future ROC-Stock.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I've had this idea for a rocketry contest for a while now. It would be the ultimate test of modeller and rocket. Contestants would have one day or one weekend to fly a rocket enough times to accumulate an altitude of 50 miles (where space begins).

By FAI definition, it's 100km ( ==328,083.99 feet; appx 62.5 miles ).

50 miles was the USAF definition for awarding astronaut wings to pilots. Both the X-Prize and it's contenders, and the CSXT team, used the FAI definition. I believe NASA does now too.

My Big Goal is to do it in a single shot, using all purchased off-the-shelf or existing surplus materials and components. That's a point of "commercial space flight" that's not often brought up.
It's what Truax had intended, though he was using primarily surplus professional/military equipment. And he'd planned to fly himself in it.

I think Mark Brown here on TRF was going to do something similar. I don't remember the altitude he was shooting for. You can search the forum if interested.

UKRA are already running a competition like this, it's called 'Race for Space'.

The website is at:

https://www.race4space.com/

I think someone who flies lots of HPR with an altimer will take it, that's a lot of tracking and trig with modrocks otherwise!

I think 'first person to burn an 'M''s worth of BP would be a good one! I added up what I could of my last year's total and it was in the 'K' range :)

Back