Rocket Clubs Near Springfield MA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsox15

Reaction score
I am heading off to college next year (though a little ways away), out in sprungfield Mass. I hope to keep flying in college and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any local clubs near there.

Thanks,
Matt

Theres none anywhere near springfield CMASS or CATO in Ct are the closest.

Last edited:
If I lived in Springfield, I'd join METRA...

Since i live in the Springfield area I tossed up a couple clubs CMASS over all was the closest drive but if i went by waivers it would have been METRA even though by the looks of the drive to Pine Island NY it doesn't look fun and its about 3 hours from Springfield.CATO and CMASS are both about 2 hours to their launch sites.

CTRA/NARCONN flies in Hurley NY which is probably a couple of hours away. CATO does not currently have a field available for high power.

CTRA/NARCONN flies in Hurley NY which is probably a couple of hours away. CATO does not currently have a field available for high power.

But by the looks of the drive to Hurley NY it seems to be alot easier to drive to Amesbury both drives are probably pretty close to the same amount of time although I haven't mapquested the drive to Hurley.

CATO / Durham is only about an hour from Springfield. It is all but a straight shot down 91. That said we are currently LMR.

For HPR, Pine island is probably the best field in the area.

OK--lets get to the real question--are you going to AIC (mine), Springfield College, or some other place? I left Holyoke so long ago--I do not know what new schools may have emerged. Based on my foggy memory--there are not a lot of good places to fly--without very tall trees. Of course--when I lived in Holyoke--all rocketry was illegal in Massachusetts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to Western New England College in Springfield MA. I am a member of CMASS and have flown with them before. If there is nothing close to springfield then I will just come back to the CMASS launches. The CATO/durham would be closer for me than going back home but I wont have a car haha o well

Matt

I am going to Western New England College in Springfield MA. I am a member of CMASS and have flown with them before. If there is nothing close to springfield then I will just come back to the CMASS launches. The CATO/durham would be closer for me than going back home but I wont have a car haha o well

Matt

Find a big field in Springfield and we'll bring CMASS to you.

Find a big field in Springfield and we'll bring CMASS to you.

After all the hunting I have done the biggest field in the Springfield area seems to be the Granby High School field its maybe 30 to 40 minutes from Springfield.Although I know of a bigger field in Hadley I am hoping someday to bump into the farmer that owns it to see if he'll let me launch some rockets there.Everything else in the area is small mostly A and B motor type fields.

I think in certain areas around the Holyoke/Springfield area it might be tough to get a waiver considering that theres two MOA's in the area between Westover AFB in Chicopee and the national guard base in Westfield.

Back