Rocket Challenge on the Discovery Channel ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyman

Reaction score
6 or 7 years ago The Discovery channel had a show on called "Rocket Challenge", has there been any updated shows since then ? Has that show been rerun ? I saw the "Junkyard Wars" show also.

6 or 7 years ago The Discovery channel had a show on called "Rocket Challenge", has there been any updated shows since then ? Has that show been rerun ? I saw the "Junkyard Wars" show also.

No new shows in that series, but they do get re-run periodically.

-Kevin

has anybody seen a good clear watchable version? the ones posted on youtube are absolute CRAP! And they DO NOT rebroadcast it on DSC anymore.

It was broadcast back when TV ( in our area) was kind of crappy. I taped (VHS) it twice both versions came out less then ideal.

You can buy all other DVDs from their website, but not the Rocket challenge; which is a shame.

JD

has anybody seen a good clear watchable version? the ones posted on youtube are absolute CRAP! And they DO NOT rebroadcast it on DSC anymore.

I dont know if it is copyright infringement, but i have one of the 'rocket challenges' on dvd... it in argonia...
i would be more than happy to copy and send it.....

I have a DVD with all 3 episodes on it. I also have it in VCD format - 1 show per CD.

It was not taped at LDRS. That show had Kari Byron from Mythbusters.

The Rocket Challenge was a competition between the resident home team of experts and a challenging team. They were give a rocket related task each week and then the team that came closest to accomplishing the goal was the winner. One week they were supposed to launched a small car up a ramp and through a pair of goal posts downrange. Neither team succeeded, but I believe the hjome team was declared the winner for getting closest.

The Rocket Challenge was a competition between the resident home team of experts and a challenging team. They were give a rocket related task each week and then the team that came closest to accomplishing the goal was the winner. One week they were supposed to launched a small car up a ramp and through a pair of goal posts downrange. Neither team succeeded, but I believe the hjome team was declared the winner for getting closest.

I think your thinking of Master Blasters.

There were 3 shows, all filmed at LDRS a few years ago. Competitions included fastest, fastest build and fly, lowest on a K.
Shows were:
1. Wild and weird rockets
2. How High Can You Fly
3. Supersonic Speed Demons

You're thinking of master blasters.

Rocket Challenge was taped at LDRS a few years back. It's much older than the (terrible) show featuring Kari. It was in Argonia, KS, and had a nice variety of competitions, projects, and interesting rockets featured throughout a 3 hour series. I still have the DVD somewhere.

i'd love the links too, but supersonic speed demons had the last 75% cut out due to copyright claims from some company. i really think if a company makes it impossible for the material to be obtained after a certain date, then it should be public use

I was able to secure a digital copy of Supersonic Speed Demons thanks to the excellent efforts of Rocketjunkie. If anyone would like a digital copy I am more than willing to share, the show is an excellent and exciting way to showcase the hobby with a great emphasis on safety and racing.

Any updates?
Well, last year the Science Channel ran this show, and I couldn't help but notice that the trailer was practically all scenes from "The Rocket Challenge"...so I guess this was kind of an update...(the trailer/teaser scenes were not in it - but many of the same notorious faces were...including a new one....Kari Byron, which made the show watchable - IMHO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPqToZhwqk

I just saw The Rocket Challenge again several weeks ago, don't recall what channel I was looking at though....

I happen to have my own VHS copy of The Rocket Challenge and one for an oldie but goodie from the Sci Fi Channels "Inside Space" series...

They did a show back in 1995 out at Lucerne in the "early" days of HPR...ithad Frank Kosdon, Rikki Rockett (from the band "Poison') and various other Lucerne regulars, and footage of Chuck Sackett and Damien Russo's big projects....commentaries and interviews on the range were all good fun....anyone get that one on DVD?

Last edited:

discovery science just ran the program not too long ago.

Back